TRAVEL INSURANCE

hakunamatata

[quote user="betty"]a well known UK company on an earlier holiday (praised for cost etc on another thread) yes the price wasn’t bad but did they want to pay out for a claim, NO.[/quote]This is why I always like to hear about companies who are good in the event of a claim.  Low cost is irrelevant if you get nothing in return.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="betty"]a well known UK company on an earlier holiday (praised for cost etc on another thread) yes the price wasn’t bad but did they want to pay out for a claim, NO.[/quote]This is why I always like to hear about companies who are good in the event of a claim.  Low cost is irrelevant if you get nothing in return.[/quote]

Betty, A pre-existing illness perhaps? In my experience insurance companies rarely WANT to pay out? I assume you mean they actually DIDN'T pay out? A clue as to which thread you are referring to might give the rest of us an idea which company it was.

I would risk going to UK without travel insurance, but certainly not outside the EU and particularly not to USA. It's not just health issues is it, there are all the travel problems you might run into. If you make more than one journey or holiday it's usually more economical to buy an annual policy.

Sid: No not a pre-existing illness, in fact my claim was perfectly valid but the company gave me a hard time. I had to threaten them with the ombudsman before they finally paid up. (I said that they did not want to pay).

The insurance company is one of two you mentioned yourself back in December 2009. More of a clue and my knuckles would be rapped no doubt.

Betty, I was interested to know the company. My annual policy is due for renewal in 2 weeks and it makes me wonder whether to bother. But they did pay out in the end then; you said they didn't want to, but it wasn't clear whether they actually had from your original post.

What would you do in the future then?

Betty,

A bit more on this... I've just had a look at my Globelink policy and they give you a credit card-sized card with the policy number etc, but in block caps it says that you must contact their emergency service for authorisation of medical claims "Do not try to find your own solution". I'd guess this is the reason for the reluctance to pay out? It would be difficult to comply in the case of an accident I think, but migraine (I've suffered for 40 years) whilst debilitating, is hardly life-threatening. The size of the bill is ridiculously extortionate and is the sort of claim which puts up the premiums for everyone.

If you are still suffering with the migraines ask your GP about Triptans (dispensed as "Tigreat" here in France). I've found this to be nothing short of miraculous for migraine treatment, curing severe attacks within an hour and a half compared to the 2 or 3 days I used to have!!

I still think insurance is needed particularly in the US.

What annoys me is when you have a valid case some companies make all kinds of excuses why they won’t or cannot pay.

If your policy states a 5,000 payout for a loss of a limb then if you loose an arm they should pay the 5,000, no further questions or obstacles.

Of the two companies you mentioned, one gave me a lot of problems and the other I was advised not to use.

The solution, win the lotto and then take your own army of doctors and dentists etc.

Sid.

Just read your latest post, thank you for the info. I think the bit about contacting their medical claims first is more for hospital admissions.

The claim I had trouble with was for just $215 emergency dental treatment, I am still waiting for the big one to go through.

The high cost of treatment in the US is ridiculous; the first thing the hospital asks ‘do you have insurance’? One bill originally for $2204 immediately went down to $372 when I told them I had no insurance.

What will I do for the future?

I have to have insurance, at my age it is difficult and expensive BUT without it, I could lose my home in paying medical bills.

Did you know? if you get mugged and shot in the USA... YOU have to pay. Bills will easily reach $100.000+