Via Rouen

PaulT

Travelled down for the first time since the fire on the bridge in Rouen and was diverted along the A29 / A150 / A151 to the A13.

Is there a way through Rouen?

However, I am wondering if this way is quicker and easier albeit meaning a small toll on the A29. Perhaps slightly longer but more fuel efficient?

Paul

We travelled down from Calais last Thursday, went through the tunnel as normal in Rouen followed the diversion signs to Evreaux and Elbeuf, then on to Chartes, heading for Vendome. No problems at all just a couple of minutes hold up because other cars in the wrong lane queueing to head for the Dieppe LeMans direction. It's very handy at times like this for us to have a choice of routes. The route we took is now dual carriage way most of the time and another bonus is no tolls unlike the LeMans motorway. I would think it was about twenty minutes extra on out journey so we were happy and €20 better off.

Thanks for the replies.

We normally (when travelling down) go over the bridge and down on the other side of the river to the 6015.

When we come back we will ignore the diversion signs on the motorway and head in to Rouen and follow the local diversion signs.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

Thanks for the replies.

We normally (when travelling down) go over the bridge and down on the other side of the river to the 6015.

When we come back we will ignore the diversion signs on the motorway and head in to Rouen and follow the local diversion signs.

Paul

[/quote]

Funnily enough we were in Lincolnshire last week, and due to the appalling weather conditions the worst part of our journey was coming down the A1,  drivers; driving much to fast and overtaking when the visibility was very very bad. The bridge route in Rouen doesn't seem too bad, I think they have diverted the heavy traffic other ways.

• 1 month later...

[quote user="NickP"]We travelled down from Calais last Thursday, went through the tunnel as normal in Rouen followed the diversion signs to Evreaux and Elbeuf, then on to Chartes, heading for Vendome. No problems at all just a couple of minutes hold up because other cars in the wrong lane queueing to head for the Dieppe LeMans direction. It's very handy at times like this for us to have a choice of routes. The route we took is now dual carriage way most of the time and another bonus is no tolls unlike the LeMans motorway. I would think it was about twenty minutes extra on out journey so we were happy and €20 better off.[/quote]

Never had any problems with Rouen or route described here - does tend to get interesting after Vendome though. One trip going back north towards Chartres in very heavy rain and thunderstorms found that French drivers just STOP including double parking at the lay-bys on this usually fast road which made life interesting to say the least!

By avoiding the peages not only do you save euros but you have ample opportunities to stop, just off the main routes and savour some of the local fare! One of the most surprising spots was Bonneville which we always wrote off as industrial as this is how it appears from the main road, but very nice village centre!

That's the route I have been using for some time, although I do spend a little on the toll as I leave the D910/N10 at Chateau Renault to avoid the slower Monnaie to Tours section on my way down and the corresponding point on the way up. Too many traffic light on the N10 section and lots more cameras, it doesn't cost much but it does save around 30mins of traffic hold ups depending on travelling time of day obviously.

[quote user="NickP"]We travelled down from Calais last Thursday, went through the tunnel as normal in Rouen followed the diversion signs to Evreaux and Elbeuf, then on to Chartes, heading for Vendome. No problems at all just a couple of minutes hold up because other cars in the wrong lane queueing to head for the Dieppe LeMans direction. It's very handy at times like this for us to have a choice of routes. The route we took is now dual carriage way most of the time and another bonus is no tolls unlike the LeMans motorway. I would think it was about twenty minutes extra on out journey so we were happy and €20 better off.[/quote]

I have been driving through Rouen for over 40 years. If coming from Calais, I follow the route described by NickP. The only problem with this route is the left turn (traffic lights) from the road from the tunnel to the Evreux road. You have to move to the right hand of the road to avoid being taken over the bridge. If coming from Dieppe, there is a low-level "expressway" running by the side of the river. 

The landmark to look for is a church with two towers - keep to the left of that and then the road is straightforward, if rather slow. I would never dream of using the autoroute. Once you are clear of the Rouen area, most of the road to Chartres is near autoroute standard. The only problematic area is around Dreux.

We've travelled to Boulogne/Calais via Rouen probably 20 times. I must be the only person who has gone a different way through Rouen every time... unintentionally! [:-))]

It's OK coming down here, we come down through the tunnel mentioned, cross the bridge and run alongside the river and eventually pick up the motorway towards the west. Going the other way, I don't know, I don't recognise anything, apart from a roundabout with cows (!) but we don't see that every time either! At some points Boulogne is signposted, but then the signs seem to stop.

Usually we just push ahead in the general direction and come out on the right road! I find it really frustrating as I'm normally quite good at directions. Next time the TomTom will be put to the test!

Having last travelled through Rouen last October I've rather lost touch on what has happened there and the fire?

Can anyone advise me on the current situation and whether my usual route (detailed below will be effected....

Coming from the direction of Calais - A28 (E402) - Tunnel de la Grand Mare - N28 (E402) - Voie Est de Rouen - Cross river -

take 2nd right exit and loop down onto Avenue du Grand Cours - continue straight on onto Bd. Industriel - Bd. Lenine (Railway yards on the right - through multiple traffic lights) - straight across Cows Roundabout - follow D18e onto A13 (E05) in the direction of Louviers - turn off onto N154

On the return we use the reverse of the above.

We are travelling again in early March.

Many thanks

We travelled from Vendome to Calais yesterday on the Chateaudun/Chartes Rd N154. Crossed Rouen via the Pont-de-L'Arche, from there carried on the A28 then A16. Only hold up was a traffic accident at the traffic lights in Dreux. I've got to say this route is probably easier now than the "cows" roundabout route.

Thanks Anton.  Yes, that route uses the Pont Mathilde. So from what I can see that is still closed and the opening date looks a bit vague.

Nick. When using the route (northwards) that you describe I presume that after crossing Pont-de-L'Arche you go along the N15 (Route de Paris) and then end up going through the tunnel?  Do you go southwards using the reverse of that route and is the turn off after the tunnel for the N15 fairly obvious?

[quote user="DerekJ"]Thanks Anton.  Yes, that route uses the Pont Mathilde. So from what I can see that is still closed and the opening date looks a bit vague.

Nick. When using the route (northwards) that you describe I presume that after crossing Pont-de-L'Arche you go along the N15 (Route de Paris) and then end up going through the tunnel?  Do you go southwards using the reverse of that route and is the turn off after the tunnel for the N15 fairly obvious?

[/quote]

Derek, I'm not sure of the Rd number (N15) but yes we did use the tunnel we just followed the Calais signs. Also we use the return route it works very well. We try not to head north on a Monday, or south on a Thursday or Frisday due to increased heavy goods traffic. Coming south after tunnel we just followed the signs for Everaux, then Chartes, hope this info helps?

Hi Derek, we went through Rouen in Jan, you are directed off the A28 miles from Rouen, ignore this,keep on the A28, you are then directed off just before you reach pont mathilde. You come to a junction with Petrol station opposite, keep to left and turn left, in front of you is a large church, drive to the left of church, signed by a Green Evereux sign, about 100 metres after church you fork right... if you keep on this road, you come onto the But,Mcdonalds,Ikea site next to the Motorway, then you can rejoin the motorway.

You can follow the Green Evereux signs, this will take you over the Pont l'arche and rejoin motorway towards Evereux,Dreux etc.

Hope this helps

Info for anybody who uses the Calais- Rouen- Vendome route. We travelled down from Calais yesterday and used the Rouen tunnel as normal, when leaving the tunnel followed the VERY SMALL yellow Paris Evreux signs. After after turning left at the traffic lights opposite the garage as described by bettyboop and hard right we followed the river which was on our right hand side. When you reach Le Port Saint Ouen you come to a roundabout with two diversion signs follow the one bearing left to wards Evreux D6015 eventually the road turns into the N154 to Chartes then the N10 to Vendome. It took 5 hours Calais to Vendome including a 30 minute sandwich and coffee break. Overall we found no problems at all and no hold ups but of course that may depend on the time of day. We left Calais at 2pm. [:)]