A20 from Chateaureux to Calais avoiding Paris

mogs

A20 then on to A71 and then A10. Come off at the Chartres turnoff and go up he A/N 158 via Chartres, Dreux and to the A13. Then, either go over the A13 and make your way in to Rouen on the east side of the river* and then the A28 towards Calais or go up the A13 and follow the diversion signs until you get on to the A28*.

This is quite a popular route and avoids Paris and greatly reduces the toll charges but does take a little longer but is not normally busy as Paris can be. Go to something like www.viamichelin.fr and put in:

To: Calais

and ad two vias:

Via1: Chartres

Via2: Rouen

to see the route.

* the normal way would be to go up the A13 and then head in to Rouen. Unfortunately, a fuel tanker crashed on the bridge and caught fire which has resulted in the bridge being closed for repairs until summer 2014.

PaulT, as a regular user of the said route, did you mean the A/N 158 or the 154? which also has variants to the N123 and N1154 at Chartres (it's easy but now sounds harder, it isn't)  and the N12 at Dreux and back on the 154.

I continue up to Rouen but turn off (partly for the bridge closure but also it avoids another toll) at the Ponte de L'arche which goes around Rouen and is scenic D6015.  follow the directions to Calais once you are in Rouen but it's easy

For some reason, ViaMichelin.fr at one time used to offer you a route that turned off the A10 to the right along the A86, and it was fairly easy to follow: I believe it's signposted "Lille" all the way through. Now they suggest you go further in and use the awful peripherique, and no amount of tweaking the route (at least, none that I can do on their website) will shift it back to what they used to recommend. And that's what many standard satnavs suggest too.

I wondered if it was roadworks on the A86 (they always seem to be doing something somewhere) and this was why ViaMichelin ignored it, but my daughter used this route last week and it was OK.

[quote user="Théière"]

PaulT, as a regular user of the said route, did you mean the A/N 158 or the 154? which also has variants to the N123 and N1154 at Chartres (it's easy but now sounds harder, it isn't)  and the N12 at Dreux and back on the 154.

I continue up to Rouen but turn off (partly for the bridge closure but also it avoids another toll) at the Ponte de L'arche which goes around Rouen and is scenic D6015.  follow the directions to Calais once you are in Rouen but it's easy

[/quote]

Yes, I did mean the 154 -and yes, I am a regular user, 5 times a year until last year and retirement and now only 3 times but staying far far longer.

And yes, the road numbers do seem to change even though it is the same road - obviously, there is a large French government department called CCTNTC - constantly change the names to confuse.

And it was the 6015 that I was alluding to to get through Rouen - going up the A13 seems a very long way round and also includes a toll on the A13 and a toll on the A29.

Via Michelin shows the two routes as:

Via Paris - 556km, 40.50 euros tolls, 61.05 euros fuel*, 05:38 time to travel

Via Rouen - 566km, 21.4 euros tolls, 62.69 euros fuel*, 06:16 time to travel

* interestingly it shows the same number of fuel whether selecting GBP or euros but does change the toll number

Have you tried the new tunnel to the west of Paris? We did it at Christmas, and saved a lot of time compared with out usual via Rouen route. I'd love to tell you how we got there, but perhaps someone more knowledgable can. I have heard that queues build up at holiday time, and some people have found it claustrophobic, but we thought it was worth it for the time saved. Just a thought.

Kathy

[quote user="mogs"]Can anyone offer a route around Paris to Calais that avoids the centre of Paris as the sat nav usually takes me right through the centre and I'm sure there must be another way. Many thanks for help[/quote]

When you approach Paris coming from the A20 ......A10, turn your Satnav off and follow directions for Lille or Calais or CDG Airport or N104 (La Francilliene). This will avoid the centre.

Or, rather than turning it off ... ignore it and follow the signs as you say to Calais or Lille, and eventually the satnave will work it out ... you can have great fun listening to "turn around when possible" on a dual carriageway!

I do so love it when I confuse the GPS .... but I do wish they'd have a learning chip like we humans do, so it will take the same (new) route next time!!

Have you tried the new tunnel to the west of Paris? We did it at Christmas, and saved a lot of time compared with out usual via Rouen route. ...

END QUOTE

would love to know how to find this new route, which a couple of people have already mentioned to me as saving more than an hour on their total journey time compared with using their usual round-Paris route.

Angela

[quote user="Judith"]I do so love it when I confuse the GPS .... but I do wish they'd have a learning chip like we humans do, so it will take the same (new) route next time!!
[/quote]

Some humans have the learning chip but not all [:)]  My el cheapo satnav has the route storage facility in it's menu of tricks which is a cool feature (cool making me sound 25 years younger)  so when I navigate around I can review the route which is different to when it navigates me a round and also request the journey in the opposite direction.

[quote user="Judith"] Or, rather than turning it off ... ignore it and follow the signs as you say to Calais or Lille, and eventually the satnave will work it out ... [/quote]

We have a BECKER Satnav. It's good quality works well but it's stupid ...... I originate from Paris so directions in France generaly aren't much of a problem (just use the Satnav for an idea of the ETA)...... 2 years ago we were approaching Paris on the A3 with a clear sign for A10 Bordeaux ahead of us, the stupid thing was asking me to "turn right" into a run down area of Nine Three (93)....... I told Sally (that's our Satnav) to shut up and carry on.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Have you tried the new tunnel to the west of Paris? We did it at Christmas, and saved a lot of time compared with out usual via Rouen route. I'd love to tell you how we got there, but perhaps someone more knowledgable can. I have heard that queues build up at holiday time, and some people have found it claustrophobic, but we thought it was worth it for the time saved. Just a thought.

Kathy[/quote]

I've never heard of it - and apparently neither has Via Michelin. Please - just a few more clues? Roughly where do you turn, or what signs do you follow? Your post is just too tantalising!

i got the route for the A86West Tunnel from a local english language paper, the Bugle, last year.

it is a whole page, and very detailed. But basically: off A10 at N118 signposted Versailles.Join A86 go west for Versailles for a couple of miles, Keep right or you could miss the turn off. There is no sign that says tunnel but you take a right slip road identified by rows of balls hanging down ( max height 2.5metres)and a sign for peage. You go down the slip road and pay the toll (6.50 last Christmas but I think it has gone up) and go through the tunnel for 10km (to the end) Stay on A 86, I think your satnav can find you the way to Calais from there -

Hope that helps. Havent been called 'tantalising' for a looong time! (not ever, actually) Kathy

Thank you so much for the description, and handy hints, Kathy.

Do you have it for the opposite direction, too? I have a friend heading down from Calais next week, and I bet she'd like to use it. So far, all she has gathered it it's necessary to head for Amiens on leaving the Tunnel. But it would be good to know how the route is signposted when approaching Paris.

Angela

EDIT

Ah, this looks useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A86_autoroute

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="mogs"]Can anyone offer a route around Paris to Calais that avoids the centre of Paris as the sat nav usually takes me right through the centre and I'm sure there must be another way. Many thanks for help[/quote]

When you approach Paris coming from the A20 ......A10, turn your Satnav off and follow directions for Lille or Calais or CDG Airport or N104 (La Francilliene). This will avoid the centre.

[/quote]

Well it looks like a possibility but 2m height restriction isn't good for me.  Ericd being the local boy still has it nailed going around the east side of Paris on the N104 is still quicker and shorter according to google maps.

Would be interested to hear if your friends use it as I give Versailles a wide berth having been held up in traffic there many times worst one was 3 hours! that's the reason I changed to Rouen [I]

Hi Loiseau.

from Calais come off A16 at junction 10. onto N184 for Pontoise then turn off for A115 then A15. Folllow the road until the turn for A86 Versailles and `Nanaterre and follow A86 until the tunnel and peace. (I remeber this was much fuirther than we thought and began to think we had missed it!) after you leave the tunnel the road swings round and heads towards {Aris. Look for sings to the N118 and A10. Turn off on N118 SIGNPOSTED LYON. stay on until see signed for A10 and Orleans and Chatres. At A10 the Tomtom can take over!!

Bon courage!

ps Thiere, the tunnel avoid all those bouchons round Versailles. But what I dont know is how busy it gets in the summer season. A queue at the peage (doofer or credit card only I think) could be chaos. Kathy