Garden birds

tegwini

I am surprised - not a single person, apart from Chris, has picked up on the amazing cruelty the French (sorry some) still imposed on garden/song birds which are revered in the UK. It is as though because it is 'traditional' so it's OK then', or as though as 'foreigners' trying to integrate we daren't say anything. People (some) stand by when badgers are slowly and terribly painfully dying of strycnine poisoning (musn't upset the neighbours) - or 10000000s of song birds are caught in nets, used as bait, BBQed, eaten whole with a serviette over the head, shot, etc, etc. Very few people ask about how to deter martens or dorrmice- only how to blow them up or whatever.

But if any cruelty is shown to a dog or a stray cat - all hell let loose. I find this selective 'love' of animals bizarre and hypocritical.  Sorry, rant over - and apologies to Tegwini - who was only asking nicely how to get mor birds in her garden. Hope you enjoy lots of them Tegwini when you next visit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Odile

I can remember seeing tiny (dead)  birds on sale a couple of decades ago, but didn't think they were still netted etc.

Perhaps we birdlovers do need to do as much as possible to compensate for the birds lost, and I do think that this is awful, and neither do I think that  'tradition'  is a reason for pointless cruelty.

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="chris pp"]

Brambling tend towards forming their own groups, frequently in poplars near rivers for winter. They also seem to follow rivers quite often and can be seen flying along them in groups.

Have you noticed that? [/quote]

Interesting observation, Chris.  I haven't noticed it myself, but will now pay more attention in future [:)]  (Wonder whether they use rivers for migration?).

I did notice how early they arrived here in the Midi compared to UK.

Cheers

Craig

We currently have many feathered visitors. We have many tits, a robin and very recently a Jay has been spending much time in our garden. I understand they are very shy birds (the jay) and tend not to venture out of wooded areas much. We have woods probably a km away in the distance and a series of paddocks seperates us from it. Today we had two of jays in our garden, hopping along and looking for whatever they look for. Absolutely gorgeous looking birds. I've never seen so much birdlife as these past few months. It's brilliant.

R.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]... and very recently a Jay has been spending much time in our garden. I understand they are very shy birds (the jay) and tend not to venture out of wooded areas much. We have woods probably a km away in the distance and a series of paddocks seperates us from it. Today we had two of jays in our garden, hopping along and looking for whatever they look for. Absolutely gorgeous looking birds.

R.
[/quote]

A very important bird, the jay.

Have you ever wondered how acorns, a rather heavy seed, get distributed away from the mother tree?  The answer, to a remarkably great degree, is - by jays.  During the autumn, they purposefully seek out and bury large amounts of acorns (to provide food during the winter); and they chose open areas, rather than the wood itself, to do so.  Inevitably, they don't recover all of them and in the Spring, up comes a new oak sedling ...

This relationship between oaks and jays was first commented on by Henry Thoreau, a 19th century naturalist, in the States.  But here's the synopsis of a more recent study conducted in Holland:  http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/beh/1979/00000070/F0020001/art00001

In fact, it has even been claimed that without jays, an oak wood will never expand (squirrels, the other acorn hoarders, tend to nip out the growing shoot and also store the acorns within the wood).

So, next time you see a fine young oak wood, thank the jays!

Hoping this entertains ...

Regards

Craig

Regular feed +clean water seems to bring a steady and varied flock to our birdtable and garden. Hedges all around with a wire fence inside so no cats plus plenty of hiding,resting places. 20 boxes of various shapes and sizes so we have resident families of most of the common garden birds,wrens being the noisiest. European goldfinch my favourite and we did have one nest box with them in last year.A friend from Bournemouth visiting last week spotted 17 types just in our back garden of 500sq mtrs.We are now lucky enough to have a songthrush visiting every day.As the big pond has been filled in a regular unwanted visitor has departed,a Heron. Our visitor got a thanks in Colin Tudge's new bird book ,as being a starter for his interest in birds.

Regards.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"] I understand they are very shy birds (the jay) and tend not to venture out of wooded areas much. R.
[/quote]

Not in France where they are generally more common. Common to the point where in this region we are almost falling over them.   Wooded areas - Yes. Shy -No

Chris

Although we have four cats, three of them are very lazy and hardly ever leave the house in the winter and the other seems to be more interested in mice. We put seed etc out for the birds around and near a tree about 20 metres form the house but blue tits & robins often come right up to the back of the house & perch on the back of the bench outside the window.

One evening recently a blue tit keep dashing itself against the back windows and then just sat on the windowsill, looking in for about 15 minutes. It didn't seem injured or stunned at all.  I thought it was attracted by the light so I turned it off and the bird still sat there.   We turned the outside light on, went out & moved the window box a few inches and it finally flew away. We left the outside light on for about 10 minutes and thankfully, it didn't return.

What would have caused this behaviour?   Can they lose their bearings?

[quote user="Bastet"]

<snip>

One evening recently a blue tit keep dashing itself against the back windows and then just sat on the windowsill, looking in for about 15 minutes. It didn't seem injured or stunned at all.  I thought it was attracted by the light so I turned it off and the bird still sat there.   We turned the outside light on, went out & moved the window box a few inches and it finally flew away. We left the outside light on for about 10 minutes and thankfully, it didn't return.

What would have caused this behaviour?   Can they lose their bearings?

[/quote]

Great Tits are also well known for doing this sort of thing.

Lots of ideas have been put forward as to why, but in practice each is no more easy to prove/disprove than the next.  Personally, I rather favour the idea that they see a reflection of the sky, or a tree, or whatever and are trying to fly towards it.

Some avoidance ideas here http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4578

It's actually quite a problem - have a look here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1046354.ece

HTH

Craig

Interesting reading Craig. The feeders are nowhere near the windows so maybe it was a reflection of the tree & sky. If it's not minus 5 degrees after dark this evening, I'll take a bird's eye look at the house from the outside.  It was more odd though, the way the little chap sat on the windowsill looking in for so long. Nothing resembling a silver milk bottle top is in that room !!

• 5 weeks later...

We arrived back in the UK last weekend, but I have to report that we actually did see a few birds this time:

Blackbirds, Bluetit, Great Tit amd Robin.   We put some food out for them whilst there. 

I suspect it's hard at present for them - not made easier as we have a Fouine in the loft rooms (not sure what to call them in French!).   I read that Fouines eat eggs, perhaps even baby birds.  Planning to scare him/them off with moth balls. Our builderman (we are putting in a new bathroom etc up there) has suggested an egg with the white blown out and replaced with poison.   Not keen on that, but not keen on poo & wee all over the place either.  I thought they stayed away when we were around, but husband was woken by them early one morning.

I assume they are good climbers as the house is a pavillion and the top floor is 3 floors up on the front.

What do other people do ?  And do they pose a threat to the garden birds ?

Regards

Tegwini

To get rid of a Fouine we had in our roof.I had to put two layers of fine wire mesh ,screwed on, around the roof corners where he was getting in.One night we went out with a torch and saw him hanging on the wire trying to chew his way in.Bit odd as in the houses around us there are plenty of open stores/barns.

Regards.

On the subject of the pecking or tapping on the windows.  Frequently I have heard some tapping, which I have discovered are either crows or rooks (big black birds) which are normally in the Oak trees in my garden, which seem to like resting on a wide window ledge on a little house I have, adjacent to the house I live in, which has a large window which was once a big opening with a shutter.  I think they see a reflection of themselves in it and try to attack it.  I wish they would stop as they are ruining the paintwork.

Here is a picture I took yesterday of my barn owl.

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/weedonwite/Barney008.jpg[/IMG]

Edited

Apologies, I did resize it but clearly not small enough.

Many thanks Gastine

The builders (relacing aged insulation & Tongue & Groove) have done that, but we have not completed it all & I fear he/she will be at it right now.

Not planning to use poison as it gets into the animal food chain, so will try also try moth balls.  Trouble is French roof construction is almost designed to allow for 'squatters' - lots of gaps etc.   English house, similar vintage none - and covered with something on the inside of the tiles.

Surprising that a French animal shows little fear of humans and came into the house when we were there.  We live in the New Forest & get Red Deer in the garden (they can jump a 6 ft gate/hedge and also push through a thick hedge).   They show no fear of me when I chase them out- they eat my vegs & flowers.   Never seen any in France, near a huge forest - I expect the Chasse makes the deer more nervous of people.

Regards

Tegwini