What is the French for ......

Suninfrance

SB has it correct for solenoid.

Distribution for timing

Dick, what you have stated the réglage d'allumage, is the electronic ignition thingy that ensures that the engine  "sparks" are regulated and everything runs correctly in firing the engine. Well I know what I mean, as we had to have one for a Zafira a while back that was a month out of guarantee and it was the first time I had heard of such a thing but the cost of the replacement, has ensured I will never forget the name !

Not surprised it is not in Dudens as that books needs bringing up to date on a few things. Buying Dudens pictorial was one of the best tips we had, along with watching only French TV, for as long as one could stand it !!

Oh. Highlights my technical knowledge, really - but Collins does call it timing.

I bought a Duden and left it in my classroom when there was a supply teacher in. She let some kids scribble on it and colour it in...

(BTW Miki - Chelsea 4 - 0 Newcastle - congratulations from (almost) the whole of the North East of England!)

All solénoïdes are bobines; not all bobines are solénoïdes.

(BTW Miki - Chelsea 4 - 0 Newcastle - congratulations from (almost) the whole of the North East of England!)

Dick,

Do I detect a Sunderland attachment somewhere ?

From around 11 years old, ( 5 or 6 years after the last championship with dear old Ted Drake) I have had my hopes dashed on numerous occasions and this year is the first year for at least 12 years that I have not placed a bet on CFC winning the league, for I felt doing so this year, would put the "mockers" on them, having their best chance, for more years than I can remember.

I am seriously enjoying their football this year, although something tells me I should be nervous !! it is certainly amongst, if not the best football, I have ever seen from them and that includes the treble cup winning team and the Ossie years (with Charlie Cooke). Heaven knows what will happen if by end of April we are sitting where we are now but, the wine that goes pops looks like getting a battering for sure  Whoops, feet back on the ground, we have the gooners at Highbury next week to get through yet and plenty more very tough games to go.....

SB, How could you have forgotten !! I remembered the reglage d'allumage and that was a lot less expensive than a courroie de distribution, and a  tomber le culasse. Sometimes money is an aid to your memoire, sad but oh so true, I remember every b***y bookie by name that has fleeced me and the list runs further than the horses I backed did

[quote]ignition timing ? or valve timing ?????[/quote]

Sorry Dave but you are going in to areas that I am not at all au fait with. The Courroie de Dist is the timing belt, whether or not valve timing still carries the word distribution, then it is probably best if Pucette gives you the answer.

Dick, as dear old Bill Shankly used to say, "first or last minute, it still counts as one and the game is 90 minutes long, Aye"    but crueller in the last than the first...................biensur. There's not a better time to score the only goal of the game, is there ? 

Really lovely day when Bob Stokoe's army stuffed Leeds ! Do you put on your raincoat and do the Stokoe victory dance these days ?

valve timing - diagramme / calage de distribution

ignition timing - avance à l'allumage : calage d'allumage

From Haynes Dictionnaire technique anglais-français

Thank you for your faith Miki, leading me into previously uncharted waters!