Renewing a passport

val douest

Please can you give me more information about exactly where and how you managed to get this service I have looked all over the Embassy website and can't find anything. My Mother is dying of cancer and the doctors have only given her weeks but our passports run out soon. If we send them away i'm scared she may die before we get the passports back and won't be able to travel.

Any more info you could give would be great.

Many thanks Scott Waterhouse

Contact address removed by a moderator. Please use the PM or email buttons on this post to contact Scott Waterhouse

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott -

I know several things have changed with the passport renewal process for Brits in France since I orginally posted in 2006.  However, if you live within reasonable reach of any of the four British consulates (Paris, Bordeaux, Lyon or Marseille) then it would be worth phoning them (details under regional network on first page of the Embassy website - see Quillan's link) and explaining the circumstances. If they know that you have to keep your passports ready for an emergency dash to the UK then they may be willing to forward your renewal applications with a certified copy (made and certified by them) of your passport, leaving you with your passports in case you need them before your new ones are ready.  This is what they did for my husband and I seem to remember that the service was not widely publicised: the only thing is it means two trips to the consulate - one to hand over your applications and the second to collect the passports (at which stage they clip the corners off the old one to render it unusable).

I hope you manage to get it all sorted - if you do, and if you have time, it would be good to hear how you did it as others will certainly find the info useful.

Val

• 4 months later...

My UK passport expires soon s I did a search and found the above posts really helpfull.

I am going to describe my situation and proposed course of action based on the above, I hope that someone will be able to either confirm this, offer a more sensible solution (the obvious often evades me) or let me know if the situation has changed.

My passport runs out near the end of July, I plan to take a holiday in the UK in August with my French girlfriend who will be travelling on her Carte D'identite but it is also possible that between now and then I may have to travel to my home in the UK at short notice.

I am concerned about being without my passport for perhaps an extended period of time if I post it to Paris or London perhaps causing problems travelling to England but certainly preventing me from returning to France.

The cost of renewal via the consulate at todays exchange rate puts me off and the time delay with the UK postal renewal service is also a non starter leaving I believe the passport office in Victoria as my only choice.

My options as I see them are to A: book a trip to the UK with the express purpose of going to Victoria to renew it

B: wait a bit as I may have to return to deal with other affairs and to do the above then

C: Wait for the holiday, travel on the expired passport and renew it during a sightseeing visit to London.

I favor option C but the risks are being delayed by UK customs at the ferry terminal and missing the boat, (although I did once discuss this possibility with a customs officer there) and if for any reason we have to return to France for say a family emergency we could not do this together until I have the new passport in my mits.

I also have a nagging doubt as to whether a recently expired passport can be renewed on the one day service.

Any suggestions or information will be welcomed

To travel to the UK with some airlines like Ryanair you only need some official form of identification like a passport, ID card or DRIVING LICENCE. So if you have a UK/EU driving licence you can use that. I am not sure but I don't think they will let you on the plane with an out of date passport. If you look on the Ryanair website it does give a full list of acceptable forms of ID. Hope that helps.

[quote user="Quillan"]To travel to the UK with some airlines like Ryanair you only need some official form of identification like a passport, ID card or DRIVING LICENCE. So if you have a UK/EU driving licence you can use that. I am not sure but I don't think they will let you on the plane with an out of date passport. If you look on the Ryanair website it does give a full list of acceptable forms of ID. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Sorry I just read it after posting, I should have said "I don't think they will let you on the plane with an out of date passport as your only form of ID"

Are you two timing me with some French bird then JR???[:-))]

As you are British, you will not get into the UK without a valid passport.  You could plead ignorance, I did a day trip with a bloke who managed to get through the Tunnel to France and back to Dover with an out of date passport and they might let you in on presentation of another UK piece of identity but you certainly will not get back to France on a ferry or plane without renewing it unless you are very lucky.

For urgent renewals look here, the post office option might be worth looking at. Look here http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-post-office.asp  or

http://www.ukpi.org/?gclid=CJbgj-nO55MCFQ8KuwodvBcV-A

RYANAIR

All passengers must present valid photo identification to check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:

• A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).

• A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (for travel within the Schengen area only),or Switzerland.

• A valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID for travel on domestic flights within the UK and domestic flights within the Republic of Ireland.

• For travel on domestic flights within Italy only, a valid driving licence with photo issued by the applicable Italian authorities is acceptable photo-id.

• For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

• In accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document issued by a Government in place of a valid passport is acceptable.

N.B. Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between EEA countries. Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country.

Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required for:

• Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland

• Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.

• German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.

• Italian children up to the age of 15 years who are in possession of a valid Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel and signed by "IL QUESTORE" subject to acceptance for entry to your destination.

Residence cards, family books or military id cards will not be accepted for travel in place of the required valid photo-ID detailed above.

N.B. Passengers travelling to non EU countries (e.g. Morocco) must ensure that they meet the immigration entry requirements for that country.

Expired or damaged forms of photo-ID will not be accepted for any flight.

Failure to present valid photo-ID matching the names on your reservation will result in your being refused check-in.

And it is enforced.... my daughter had her passport stolen in Spain and Ryanair refused to let her board a flight back to the UK using her photo driving licence.  She had to pay a lot of money for an emergency travel document from the British Consulate in Barcelona plus the full fee for a new passport on her return.

Sorry Ron but your post seems contradictory;

[quote user="Ron Avery"]As you are British, you will not get into the UK without a valid passport.[/quote] but then you say

[quote user="Ron Avery"]I did a day trip with a bloke who managed to get through the Tunnel to France and back to Dover with an out of date passport and they might let you in on presentation of another UK piece of identity [/quote]The fact is it is entirely possible to get into UK without a valid passport. I'm not saying it's easy nor to be recommended but you don't suddenly cease to be who you are when your passport expires. If you have the expired passport and/or other conclusive evidence that you are who you claim to be you'll get back in.

We were robbed in a park in Madrid two hours before our flight back to the UK. They took my bag which contained everything - BA tickets, both our passports, all our money and bank cards and (worst of all) our Spanish dictionary. And it was a Sunday!!

Somehow we managed to get to a police station to report the crime and then to the British Embassy where we were lent money for a taxi. BA were telephoned and we were not only allowed on the plane (20 minutes before it took off) without any documents whatsoever but were offered double portions of alcohol and free perfume as a gesture of goodwill.

We felt like v.i.p's

Still, not to be recommended.

Still not to be recommended though!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I dont think that the getting back to the UK will be an issue, the carriers are wary of letting anyone dodgy (immigration wise) travel without valid documentation as they would be responsible for the costs of processing and removing them.

I had a similar situation in 1987 when I was travelling to Thailand and didnt realise that I needed a Visa, I got as far as the transfer at Schipol before BA refused to let me go any further, after discussion and learning the actual reasons they compromised and allowed me to travel after signing a waiver to say that I understood the consequences of my actions and would not hold them responsible.

I promptly forgot all that and enjoyed my travels whereas I should have crossed the border into Malaysia and re-entered with a valid visa, I paid the price at the end of my stay by spending some time in a detention centre and being fined before being allowed to return to England.

I also did regular "wine runs" from dover to Calais up until 1998 with an expired passport, they only ever glanced at the cover until one day security was stepped up after some incident or another and so that was the end of that, whereapon I got my present passport.

The 2 week post office wait will be too long as we are only likely to stay for that length of time, I am also wary of the possible delays during the school break or the return package falling into the hands of the Nigerians who have infiltrated the Post Office. I think the only option is the most expensive at £114 being a priority same day service in London, although still cheaper than the embassy in Paris.

I still have a nagging doubt as to whether an expired passport can be "renewed"

I don't understand your concern about a same day renewal, expired or not, a renewal is a renewal and they gurantee the same day service.

I renewed mine like this in 2005 in Victoria although it hadn't actually expired, and I found it was a well oiled machine. You get a timed appointment and they won't even let you in the door if you are too early so it's not an undignified scrum.

As I recall it took less than an hour from being allowed in 20 minutes or so before my appointment and walking and out again having been processed and with a timed pickup for the new passport some 4 or so hours later I think. All rather suprisingly efficient for a governmant department ! 

Thanks Ernie

I took my nephew there in about 2002 I think, it was also very quick, I dont even recall having to go back after 4 hours.

Of course you are right about renewal being renewal, in trying to avoid any pitfalls for what will be an important holiday for us I started thinking in car insurance mode!

I just looked at my old passports, apart from seeing the changes from youth to middle age I realised that I travelled to and from France from 1994 to 1998 on an expired passport, I dont think that we will see those carefree days again sadly.

As a recent ex-adviser on the Passport Agency advice line I can assure you that you will have no problem renewing an expired passport using the Premium 4hour turnround, but it is necessary for you to book an appointment beforehand. The appointments cannot be for more then 2 weeks hence but at Victoria it will probably be possible to book for the following day, there are something like well over 1000 slots covering all eventualities. I realise I speak from a biased perspective but the advice line is one of the more friendly ones around and will attempt to accommodate you whatever the problem.

Timely post for me, Ceejay.  Many thanks. Jjust been printing out the forms for the renewal of OH's passport.  When my time to renew comes, I'll just combine the exercise with a visit to friends.

By the way, I read on the British Embassy site that the countersigning of photos is only necessary for under 16's and for first timers. 

Perhaps you could tell me categorically that that is correct?

Thanks in advance. 

Anyone know where you can get passport photo's taken? Not seen a machine since I've been here (not that I've particularly been looking for one), but mine and Lynda's passports expire very soon (think mine has already expired) and I suppose we'd better get on with renewing them. Can't believe the cost!

Sweet 17

All children 11yrs and under must have a countersignatory as do all first timers and all others who are of the opinion that their features have changed and therefore the new photo will be substantially different from the old one. Bear in mind all applications require new photos anyway but do not have to be countersigned if there is no material change.

The web site www.ips.gov.uk is a very valuable source of information.

Applicants may be interested to know that the official telephone number for advice and booking line is 0870 521 0410 and is charged at 8p.p.m. There are other advice lines advertised on the web which are not the official one and charge exhorbitant rates.

Thanks for coming back, Ceejay.  Will look at the OH's new photos when he has had them done and decide if they are "substantially different" from the old one!  LOL, know anyone who actually resembles their passport photo?

Also, does this also mean that the bit in Section 9 of the Application which says:

I...certify that the applicant..........has been known personally to me for...years, and that to the best of my knowledge and belief the facts....blah blah blah..............are correct.

need not be signed?

If a renewal, is all of this palaver necessary or not?

Thanks, Ceejay, didn't really want you to revisit your old job, as it were!

Thanks for coming back, Ceejay.  Will look at the OH's new photos when he has had them done and decide if they are "substantially different" from the old one!  LOL, know anyone who actually resembles their passport photo?

Also, does this also mean that the bit in Section 9 of the Application which says:

I...certify that the applicant..........has been known personally to me for...years, and that to the best of my knowledge and belief the facts....blah blah blah..............are correct.

need not be signed?

If a renewal, is all of this palaver necessary or not?

Thanks, Ceejay, didn't really want you to revisit your old job, as it were!

Edit:  Ceejay, for some reason to do with "free box" (whatever that is, this post didn't appear) you wouldn't have read this.  I am hoping you will see my question and come back to post!