How do we pronounce our new sons name!!

St_Jacques

[quote user="St_Jacques"]

Hi - thanks for all your replies and we are still it seems none the wiser!!!!

We named him Eloi after devotion to the French Saint of that name. I am a Catholic Deacon.

Yes, ok I accept the point why use a name you are not sure how to pronounce but we have always presumed it was pronouced al-waar, until a relative of ours telephoned after speaking with a French friend  and said they said it was pronounced -ill-waa.

We are british but intend to move to France in the near future so he will be bought up there.

Dale

[/quote]

Bet you wished you'd never started this, with most of the posters (just about) stopping short of calling you something unrepeatable for not knowing ............

Why not settle on your version of the pronounciation - that's all that matters.  His peers will change it at some later stage to how they think it should sound.  I live here now and am known as 'Ee aan' - don't answer to the British pronounciation anymore!

Oh, and congrats !!!!

Quite - now we know you are a man of the cloth, for some reason unusual names and foreign pronunciations don't have quite the same negative connotations.

Names can be a minefield anyway. Just think what the thousands of people called Peter have to put up with in France.

[quote user="RumziGal"]

There is indeed a Saint Eloi.     There is also a Montpellier hospital called St Eloi.    And a make of tinned peas.

In French, it is pronounced aylwa.

[/quote]

Rumzigal, going to that very Hospital this Thursday and have just re-listened to the message from the secretary there on my answerphone...........'tis indeed aylwa !

Many congratulations on the birth of your son, but having spent 28 years spelling my maiden name I suggest you think long and hard about this choice.

If you are not sure about it, neither will other people he comes across be.........a life time of correcting people or spelling it........[:(]

If you really  love the the name couldn't it be used in the middle ?

[quote user="Will "]

...do bear in mind that it is common for Upper case letters in French to be written without accents. ...[/quote]

I was taught this rule, but also that the exception to it is the É (cap E acute). 

Hopefully a French forumeer will pop up to pronounce on it.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="Will "]...do bear in mind that it is common for Upper case letters in French to be written without accents. ...[/quote]I was taught this rule, but also that the exception to it is the É (cap E acute).  [/quote]

Some people put accents on all capital letters, some don't. I've never seen, heard or been taught of of any exception.

Not exactly popular, but also a girl's name.

http://www.bebe-prenoms.com/pages/prenom-eloi-5268.html

Type : Prénom Féminin

Jour de la fête : le 01 décembre
 Catégorie : Très Rare, Court
 Tendance sur 10 ans : Stable
 Note moyenne des internautes : 1.83 / 5 (62 votes)  Top des internautes

Depuis 1900, 53 enfants ont été prénommés Eloi dont 10 depuis 1950. Le maximum a été atteint en 1944 avec 5 naissances

Good grief, the absolute rubbish we discuss on here sometimes!  [:-))]

[quote user="St_Jacques"]

Wow - will be printing all this out to put in Éloi's or Eloi's (!) baby box - do you all fancy coming to the baptism?  Least when I baptise him I will be able to explain why we chose his name (I'm not even going to dare to tell you his other names!!)

Dale 

[/quote]

Can we know why you chose this name ? Just out of interest did you have a girls name ready too?