dangerous words

chessfou

Being less than 100% happy with the accuracy of my French pronunciation, I'm drawing up a list of those words I should probably try to avoid using. So far I have come up with:

coeur  (que..)

coup   (cu.)

quand  (co.)

Which other camouflaged booby traps awaiting Anglophones have I failed to spot?

There are lots of faux-amis and two that have had me embarrassed  are when I asked a chemist for artificial tears without a preservative in French and on another occasion when I said that the road had no soft verges, also in French. I will not repeat what I in fact said in French!........JR 

avec un  'g' dans le sud!

make sure you know the difference between your a...se and your neck/throat.

My OH found it very difficult to say 'u' rather than 'ou'. first time he managed it was in VERY polite society dinner - he was asked how he was and he replied that he was fine apart from a very sore a..se (he did have a sore throat)! he will never make that mistake again.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Good fun, though, isn't it, Clair?

I imagine a crêpe with snot in it!.......................................yuk!

BTW, how are you feeling, are you guerie?

[/quote]

Snotty pancake??????

You English have strange recipes...[8-)] [;-)]

Not guérie yet [:@]

My voice can barely be called a voice any more... a croak, a whisper, a squeal even if my throat is dry [:-))]

Pain on swallowing, cough, breathlessness...

Do you think I need a doctor or should I struggle on?

Some of the ideas do not, to my mind, rank as really dangerous. Some of the others certainly do.

cou (effectively a variation of coup but more dangerous IMHO)

then there is the "backhand" un "revers" - what on earth do the French make of all those "grass verges" by the side of UK roads?

and Stephen Clarke (A Year in the Merde or God Save la France) and the Parisian (15ème) street - la rue Eugène Gibez ...

[quote]My OH found it very difficult to say 'u' rather than 'ou'[/quote]

Yes, one of the standard Anglophone (so, me too) problems. Your example just goes to show that, even as one starts to get to grips with French phonemes, so the potential pitfalls may increase ...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Good fun, though, isn't it, Clair?

I imagine a crêpe with snot in it!.......................................yuk!

BTW, how are you feeling, are you guerie?

[/quote]
Snotty pancake??????
You English have strange recipes...[8-)] [;-)]

Not guérie yet [:@]
My voice can barely be called a voice any more... a croak, a whisper, a squeal even if my throat is dry [:-))]
Pain on swallowing, cough, breathlessness...
Do you think I need a doctor or should I struggle on?
[/quote]

Clair, stay away from the doctor.

You'd only catch something or other in their waiting-room.

Have lots of rest, keep warm, take Doliprane or similar, drink some nice alcohol and you'd soon be guérie!

Chess, just remembered one incident when I could easily have died a thousand deaths.

Virtual friends on the forum who know me would know that I am mad keen on live concerts.  So, you can imagine my excitement when a French lady was telling me about what I thought was a concert she'd been to in Bordeaux.

Fortunately, for once I kept my big mouth shut and listened hard to see if she'd develop the conversation further.  This was last year when we'd not long moved here.

After a further couple of minutes, I realised she was telling me about her cancer treatment in Bordeaux. Concert and cancer.............phew, narrow escape there, I can tell you.

[quote]bouche

and

buche[/quote]

Nice one (bûche = blockhead, clot, clod, lump as well as log) although probably not too dangerous (maybe one could "ramasser une bûche" with it)

[quote]Ooops! I linked to the wrong thread... (still unwell, my apologies )

That's the one: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/558753/ShowPost.aspx[/quote]

Ooh yes, that's more like it, I must definitely add:

chatte

moule (I didn't know that one - neither moules marinières nor moules frites will ever be the same! Aarggh, and what about une tarte aux moules, not to mention moules aux poireaux. Fortunately, I don't think I've ever seen the last two anywhere other than in a recipe book).

Incidentally, not dangerous but the other day I was trying to think of "une lime" (pour limer pas pour ajouter à une boisson) and the word that kept popping into my head was "limace" ... my brain was definitely a bit sluggardly that day.

' habite'

as in the joke about the ascenceur

'tu mets ta main où t'habite'

more seriously I have problems with making the difference between nasalised vowels, such as

tente/tante "démonte sa tente" could be misunderstood.

vin/vent

although down here it sounds more like  veng et vang I can't do those either..

• 2 weeks later...