What's the easiest way to Learn French?

Kenesha

I think the suggestions of Judith and Chezmili are both really sound. Learning a language from scratch is a daunting business, and you need to use all the methods you can to help you. So listen, read and write. These approaches are complementary, and contribute to a good grounding. The main thing is to keep trying. Someone  has already said that there is no easy way, but with determination you will do it. so my advice is to use the replies you have got here to identify the resources and methods you think suit you best. Don't give up, there are many reasons for learning French, you must have one yourself!  Bonne chance.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]add to that :

• listening to the radio only in French and same with T.V.

[/quote]

It's a great help to switch the (French) subtitles on for the French TV.  It's designed for the hard of hearing, but is very helpful to help make sense of the vernacular French.

Go to the text/TV mode, and punch in 888.

Angela

I have just come across Yabla, which seems to incorporate many of the ideas in previous posts. Part of the course is to see videos- on topics of interest to yourself, with text in French and English below,You can even slow down the speech if you so wish. I have enrolled for a trial and have just watched a video by a jazz musician which kept my interest.

There is no easy way ...its hard hard slog, doing a bit everyday for years , its tears and laughter its heartbreaking and humilating , its joy and fulfillment and finally a small feeling of achivement ....then its back to the books .... But darn it ....its worth it

• 4 months later...
[quote user="Pads"]There is no easy way ...its hard hard slog, doing a bit everyday for years , its tears and laughter its heartbreaking and humilating , its joy and fulfillment and finally a small feeling of achivement ....then its back to the books .... But darn it ....its worth it[/quote]

I would recommend French learning software,is an excellent way to

learn how to speak French.In my view,it is better than French classes or

even getting a French tutor.The primary reason being for this is that

it allows you to spend time each day learning French, and in a properly

formatted and structured way.Spending some time each day at most an hour

is vital if you want to learn how to speak French quickly.

Advertising removed by the moderators.

[quote user="Pads"]There is no easy way ...its hard hard slog, doing a bit everyday for years , its tears and laughter its heartbreaking and humilating , its joy and fulfillment and finally a small feeling of achivement ....then its back to the books .... But darn it ....its worth it[/quote]

This describes a marriage, Pads. I married a French speaker so speak from experience! But doing the bit everyday implies a little extracurricular activity which is perhaps frowned on?[:D]

• 3 weeks later...
The best course I have ever found for teaching or learning languages is the Michel Thomas course. There is no other course like it. You just listen and repeat but it is great and you very quickly end up being able to say quite long sentences and construct them and alter them yourself. He was an amazing man and this technique has never been given the accolade it deserves. Bonne chance!

• 3 months later...

Barbara, how do you know he is an amazing man, experience?

I taught English as a Foreign Language for 35 years and never came across a course that was a panacea. It is just horses for courses, so to speak there is NO method which really works. However, individuals may prefer one approach to another, though at heart they are all the same - listen, understand and repeat- which does not really help you in conversation situations or to produce utterances beyond universal groans and squeaks.[6]

The best motivator is simple need, with the skills to learn which not everyone has. Or, get an intimate lady/gentleman/ bisexual, transsexual/ unknown sexual friend who will make you improve by leaps and bounds. This is why Norman is so polyglot! (No, Sweets, not with a parrot).

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Or, get an intimate lady/gentleman/ bisexual, transsexual/ unknown sexual friend who will make you improve by leaps and bounds. This is why Norman is so polyglot! (No, Sweets, not with a parrot).

[/quote]Do you mean the method known as "Horizontal Berlitz"[:D]

[quote user="AnOther"]      I'm an osmosis learner ....  send me to sleep, you definitely need some interaction and a challenge.      [/quote]

The best way to learn a foreign language is pillow talk.  It eventually does send you to sleep with a kind of osmosis, interaction challenge [:$][;-)][:D]