why or why make the move

odile

as a teenager growing up in a Swiss mountain - England seemed a dream. Carnaby Street, The Stones, Pink Floyd - so after my A'levels and a 6 months trilingual secretarial course - I was off. Not for me boring clean mountain life, mariage, kids or becoming a teacher (as most of my friends did). Off to London to work as an assistant translator in a very big pharmaceutical firm. And mainly- off to the Isle of Wight to see Hendrix in the Summer of 1970. Kept away from ALL French speaking people- kept to the very deep end and learnt quickly. (see great trans. booboos). That was for 6 months. did get married a year later, had first kid 2 years later, became a teacher 8 years later! After London, several locations in the Midlands, currently East Leicestershire. And yet, I am going back to my boring mountains soon, and can't  wait. But I loved England almost every minute and have made so many great friends.

So what are your reasons for considering moving to France (or having done it). Personally I feel that for some people, the move is to escape to greener pastures. Beware the pink tinted glasses though. If you are not happy with yourself, not happy with your relationship, or whatever - a move, like a holiday, can really exarcerbate things rather than improve them.

So why or why? Would love to know.

Hi Odile... I'll start... our reasons were simple... we had both fallen in love with France decades ago and knew that one day we would live here... then we met each other!  After years of dreaming we moved almost a year ago... no regrets, time has flown by and we've loved every minute! 

What did we fall in love? I'm not sure I can really clarify... it's just chemistry I guess... I love going shopping in Perigueux or Bergerac or any of the old towns that just look 'french' and I just think Wow... I really live here!  I love the feel and the look of France, love our little village shop, love the language, the attitude, the french... I've tried keeping my reality specs on but I look our of the window down the valley and think to myself... yep, I'm happy!

(finally, just for background, we moved from rural devon to rural france so life in that respect hasn't changed for us)

Why or why??  What does that mean? 

Most of us on here have been here for years and have answered this kind of post far too many times to bother again, sorry, better to do a search if you are genuinely interested.

Key question for me is always "Are you leaving England or are you coming to France" Agree with comment above about having answered the question many time in the past. Never really loved London - used to be some great things like deciding you were going out for the evening then deciding who you were going to see - these days if I am not tucked up in my own , or somebody else's bed by midnight I am good for nothing the next day.

fantastic story Rose. I'm so happy for you.  But I'm sure you undertand what I meant. a move should be positive, for the right reasons- and will not  mend any personal problems. I've been shocked by the reaction of some people in the UK, and who, on hearing of our impending departure, said 'good for you- country going to the dogs- too many bl... foreigners, etc. This is NOT the reason we are going to live abroad.

Please 'older' posters. could you respect the fact that for some of us, this Forum (or any other) is new - and are looking for a live dialogue with live people - not old posts. So if my question bores you, or  you can't be bothered - that's fabsolutely fine. Nobody is forcing you to answer after all- although any positive (even if critical) exchange is very welcome.

Sunshine and no hoodies [:-))].

Seriously, it is not too far from home, I have always enjoyed attempting to speak French.  It is unbelievable how quickly you progress when living the the country.  So if anyone would like some advice on speaking French, I am your girl. [geek]

[quote user="Cat"]I'm with you on that one Coops, if anyone says for the sunshine I shall thcweam and thcweam until I'm thick! [/quote]

Ditto! The weather is depressing, was hoping for some light relief on here but no joy so far, come on someone post something interesting.....I know, I know and if I could think of something I would!!

Why or why ........ do you want to know ? As a newcomer to the forum one soon picks up from the many threads that each and everyone of us has their own reason for coming to France from the rose tinted spectacle wearers you mention to those who are trying to sell up and move back  and  all shades in between .

I am sure some will be more than happy to tell you their reasons  and others will not............................and there we are.

Mind you Coops you are right about the weather!!!

because I find it very interesting - and as said - nobody forces you to reply... If you can't be bothered- just don't bother, simple as.

Regardez mon visage  - et pas nickel, ta reponse, vraiment!

[quote user="odile"]If you can't be bothered- just don't bother, simple as.
Regardez mon visage  - et pas nickel, ta reponse, vraiment! [/quote]

no sorry Odile, read it a few times, still don't get it!  A strange youth speak/franglaise mix I think, anyone?

I was not forced to reply - I made an observation which seems to have unnerved you.

I enquired as to why you wanted to know - you have said because you find it very interesting - I am happy for you but I do not feel it is for you to decide if I write on a topic or not, even if my response in this instance has displeased you.

Though I like the Catherine Tate reference!! but now I shall have to change my name to Impeccable!!

There seem to me to be two distinct categories : those who come TO France and those who LEAVE the UK (or wherever).  I suspect that those who fall into the first category are the more likely to be happy here, whatever their reason for coming.

The Lycée Francais in Kensington, opened in 1915 and has about 3,500 pupils. It has been around long enough to attract the French in London who can afford it, and who could afford to move into that exclusive area. It was quite natural to congregate loosely around their Lycée, I expect this is how most immigrant groups end up being in a particular area. Many French people who move to London now, to this day, will probably know about the Lycée. If they have children, they are bound to wish to send them there for their education, which AFAIK, is bilingual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyc%C3%A9e_Fran%C3%A7ais_Charles_de_Gaulle

Perhaps I'm being dense as I still don't get the "or why" part of the question.  But it made me think (always a good thing) and I will attempt to suggest the reasons I bought in France.

I think firstly it was the adventure. Perhaps not quite in the same league as becoming an astronaut, climbing Everest, or owning a Renault Twingo (sorry, wrong post), but still something that no one else in the family had done. Brave new world and all that. A bit of one-upmanship, too.

So it was a (rather tame) adventure that didn't really mean taking that big a risk. Only on t'other side of the Channel, after all, so not too difficult to nip back. Some cultural differences but nothing like as much as the xenophobic press would have us believe and all adding to the novelty value.

And, every Englishman's dream, the chance to buy land "cheaply"! We have been conditioned since birth to regarding property ownership as a good investment and something we should all aspire to. So if we have the chance to buy a house on twice as much land as we have in England for a third of the price - ........... 

I also saw it as perhaps a chance to hold back time, in the sense that rural France still has plenty of space, empty roads, etc., and hasn't quite caught up in terms of the social ills afflicting over-populated towns. (The same can still be said of some British rural spots, of course, but the equivalent property would have been well outside my price-range and would have lacked the "adventure" aspect.)

But that's me.

Damn! Now that I have been made to think about it, not very exciting.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

Perhaps I'm being dense as I still don't get the "or why" part of the question.  But it made me think (always a good thing) and I will attempt to suggest the reasons I bought in France.

[/quote]

Does the title of the post make more sense now?  Just a guess...