So that is it then....we all have to drive at 80 kph instead on 90 kph

alittlebitfrench

Glad I don't own a Porsche.

This must be the most stupid thing I have ever heard of. I mean really.

It will not solve a thing. Hitting a tree at 80 kph is the same as hitting a tree at 90 kph. The question is, why do people hit trees.

This is just about making more money from speed cameras.

I'm losing it with this country.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On most rural roads 90kph is far too fast so it will only be an irritant in some places. It does mean driving in a lower gear, perhaps which might increase fuel use.

It is a pity they have not bitten the bullet and added a lot more changes such as speed limiters for small overpowered cars and new drivers, much heavier penalties for using telephones at the wheel (I know there are increased penalties but they are insufficient).... one could go on!

[quote user="woolybanana"] It does mean driving in a lower gear, perhaps which might increase fuel use. [/quote]

My word I thought my ex was one of the few people to believe implicitly the rubbish that her oncle told her when she was taking her permit.

3rd gear in a 50kph limit, 4th gear in a 90, 5th gear on an autoroute and would make no exceptions even if she was climbing a one in nine hill or descending it, she could not be shaken from the notion even when I drove her car and showed her it would happily run at 50kph in 5th and be much quieter and got 35% better economy than her getting from A-B on the same journey in less time.

And every one of her previous cars had to be scrapped because of gearbox failure.

Find me a car that will not happily cruise at 80km/h in direct top gear and give its best economy and I will eat my hat. Bugatti Veyrons and land speed record vehicles perhaps but maybe even the Bugatti would do it.

I will tell you want causes the high mortality rates on French roads ....FRANCE !!!.....or should I say French living.

France makes it so difficult for people to exist that the French are constantly in a rush, stressed out, over the limit, on drugs trying to cope etc etc etc. People take their frustrations out in a car. They are tired. Pîssed off. Half asleep. Thinking about how to pay the bills. Fill in forms. Deal with SFR.

I have just come back through rush hour, and there was nearly 3 misses that could have resulted in a death. All happening below 30 kph. They were not bad motorists. They just wanted to get home.

AlBF, the impact energy and trauma from a 90km/h collision compared to an 80km/h one is 26% more but I agree that in your scenario death would occur anyway in both cases.

Dropping from a 50kp/h limit to a zone 30 reduces the impact and trauma by 64% but its not about driving into trees or head on collisions but stopping distances, being able to react and change direction without losing control, at least for those who are not drunk or staring into their smartphones.

Hang on here a second; if I am pottering along a country road with ups and downs and corners I have to keep up a certain speed for my 6th gear to be happy, so any lower maximum speed makes it less so. Therefore I have to change down which means higher revs etc.

And there is an indicator to tell me to change down as well.

This is what my car demands, not what might have been taught to anyone’s aunt Aggy or to Marie Madeleine le Petit Gateau des Deux-Sèvres.

I don't think that 6th gear is meant to be used on a country road - in my car it equates to roughly above 60 mph. (90kmph).

I used, to think that I needed to get into as high a gear as possible to save fuel. Far from it. Keeping in the right gear for speed (and road gradient) will maximise both economy and performance.

It is widely known that driving smoothly also helps, but, methinks, that some people don't think they have the time or think that they are better drivers than most. I hope they do not have to witness, like the police or paramedics have to, the results of driving too fast.

Thank you for the link.  Good decision, in my opinion.  Makes good sense as it applies to secondary roads with traffic in both directions and no central barrier or reservation.

Around where we live, there are many roads that would fit this description and, if this measure would stop the nutcases driving round bends as though there are no other road users than themselves, they can't bring the new law in quickly enough[:D]

[quote user="mint"]Thank you for the link.  Good decision, in my opinion.  Makes good sense as it applies to secondary roads with traffic in both directions and no central barrier or reservation.

Around where we live, there are many roads that would fit this description and, if this measure would stop the nutcases driving round bends as though there are no other road users than themselves, they can't bring the new law in quickly enough[:D]

[/quote]

Does that behaviour have anything to do with speed?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Hang on here a second; if I am pottering along a country road with ups and downs and corners I have to keep up a certain speed for my 6th gear to be happy, so any lower maximum speed makes it less so. Therefore I have to change down which means higher revs etc. And there is an indicator to tell me to change down as well. This is what my car demands, not what might have been taught to anyone’s aunt Aggy or to Marie Madeleine le Petit Gateau des Deux-Sèvres.[/quote]

A hat eating session might be on the cards if you have a 6 speed, what car is it (for the weight) petrol or diesel and most important what does the rev counter indicate at 80kp/h in 6th gear.

My 82kw turbo-diesel will cruise happily and give the best economy at 50kp/h in direct top (5th) gear, sure you would change down for a gradient or to overtake in a short distance but that is just sensible driving according to the conditions, in those scenarios your indicator on the dashboard is as bête as my exe's uncle as is anyone that would follow the advice blindly.

My yeti will not be able to cruise at 80 kph in 6th gear. Its best fuel consumption is in 6th. It runs hotter in 5th.

MY OHalfs BMW will definitely not be able to cruise in 6th gear.

The saab will cruise no problem in 5th at 80kph. The little VW up as well but both are petrol.

I see that 60 % of French people are against the lowering of the speed limit. Out of the 40% in favour, 27 % do not own a car. There you go.

This will all end in tears.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]My turbo petrol Golf is more economical at 90-100kmh on the open road than it is at 70-80. It’s fuel consumption is very sensitive to throttle opening. Driving in high gears at its maximum torque is the most fuel efficient.[/quote]

It may feel that way and you might want to believe it but all you need to do is travel the same stretch of road (same direction) twice repeatedly at the two speeds with your dash display set to instantaneous MPG or L/100kms to see the difference, I think we probably have the same engine and powertrain.

For over 10 years being potless forced me to drive everywhere at 80km/h max autoroutes included, as a former boy racer I hated it, I no longer need to do so and drive at 90 sometimes more on route departementales and between 110 and 130kp/h on the autoroutes, I did 160000 kms at the restricted speed and have done maybe 20K at the normal speed and my fuel consumption whilst still very good has increased significantly.

I dont wish to drive at 80km/h again except where I choose to do so according to conditions, it wound up far too many people but there is no denying that it is more economical, wind resistance increases at the square of road speed and whilst an engine is more efficient at peak torque that efficiency is power developed divided by fuel consumed, the actual fuel consumption is always higher at higher revs even if the vehicles rolling and wind resistance could ignore the laws of physics.

I used to get up to 74mpg on a long slow journey where time was no object, wanting to know the maximum I experimented, my vehicle will run at 48km/h on the flat on a closed throttle, cant call it cruising as it leans out, runs with the injectors shut down to 40km/h then lurches on a WOT to 48km/h but that is eaxctly the technique in a economy record attempt, the fuel consumption doing that goes over the 2 digits 99 mpg that can be displayed but tickling the throttle to maintain +/- 50km/h gives 99mpg, I have even done it late at night up the steep hill to the aéroport and back and the average was 99mpg, fun going uphill at 48km/h in 5th gear without any throttle input and not kind to the engine but I was bored!

So BnB I do agree with you regarding the maximum efficiency at peak torque, in terms of what it costs compared to how quickly you arrive somewhere (if that is of value to you) its the best value for money.

If driverless cars become mandatory in our lifetime we wont have any choice about what speed we travel at, others will have decided for us.

"Change up earlier – don't labour the engine but try changing up at an engine speed of around 2,000 rpm (diesel) or 2,500 (petrol). Since 2014 new car models have been fitted with a gear shift indicator to encourage use of the most efficient gear. "

This is an extract from the AA on fuel efficient driving.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/95110/what-is-torque-all-about-torque-definition-equations-and-units

This link explains the engine technicalities re torque.

Hope it helps.

Do any of your 6 speed planet destroyers, sorry eco vehicules, turn at less than 2500 rpm (petrol) or 2000 rpm (diesel) at 80km/h?

As someone that would once have known every fact and figure about pretty much every new vehicle I have become someone with no additional knowledge since I saw the light some 20+ years ago, I know the gearing is becoming and taller and I suspect that most 6 speeds are no more than a 5 sensible ratios and a stupid low one for the mandatory emissions and urban cycle fuel economy tests, they are done at what 35mph? so it stands to reason that all the 6 speeds apart from a Bugatti Veyron could be driven at that speed in the tallest ratio so would have no problem at all at 80km/h.

Like "listen to your body", use a holistic approach, listen to your engine and your sensory inputs and you should have no need for silly indicators to tell you what gear you should be in, they are intended for people driving whilst using all the in built connectivity which seems to be the mainstay of all modern car advertising[:'(]

Funny you should say that Chancer. Ohalfs BMW (2 series diesel) only really needs 5 gears. You would only use the 6th gear safely on a motorway regardless of what the indicator tells you. Trouble is, the car feels and sounds like you need to change up but as soon as you do so you have to change back down again because the car struggles.

Horrible car to drive. Probably the worse I have ever driven in fact. It is totally unsafe if you change the gear with the indicator. There is no need for a 6th gear on that car.

I have never driven a petrol car with 6 gears. Do they exist ?

I have to admit, I don't like or see the point of 6 gears.