Difficult guest!

Celestine

My friend is coming to stay for 5 days which is great news. However, she is lactose intolerant and wheat too! Seems my world famous lasagna wont be appreciated this time round!

Can anyone advise me on which products to buy instead of the normal things please, rather than me having to stand in the supermarket for hours reading labels that I dont understand lol. Is there a wheat-free pasta in France and would I be able to find it in the hypermarkets? I also need some alternative butter or margarine, cheese (goats cheese is OK but want some kind of grateable really), mayo and bread that isnt wheat bread.

Any help much appreciated :)

Can only suggest bread/gain alternative I'm afraid as I don't know about the rest.  Look for bread make from Dinkle (sometimes called Dunkle or Spelt).  Its a very old grain coming back into favour and is OK for wheat intolerance.  Also available as flour of course.  Actually its rather good and makes the most fantastic pizza bases.  Have only seen it in Bio shops or the Bio section of Auchan.

Celestine,

You don't say in your profile where you are, so it's difficult to give you info in relation to a specific area.

All these products are more easily found in health

food shops rather than in supermarkets, where the demand is still relatively low.

Spelt and gluten-free breads are available either ready-sliced or in loaves.

Where cheese is concerned, generally speaking, hard and matured cheeses (parmesan) contain very little lactose, but you might not want to take a chance...

We've had a few guests like that at our chambres d'hote.Breakfast being a particular nightmare. I experimented with pancakes made from Sarrasin flour ( buck wheat, which isn't wheat!) mixed with a bit of cornflour ( maizena). they turned out so well ,the other guests were requesting them for breakfast and can be used as a base for sweet or savoury fillings. Perhaps you could try it for lasagne sheets?. The basic mix is sarrazin, cornflour, egg,a splash of oil and water. there's usually a recipe on the bag of sarrazin, just replace the wheat flour with more sarrasin and  cornflour.A note of caution, the sarrasin doesn't work on it's own.

Bon appétit!

Au Pays Bio

24 rue Louis Auber - ZA St Médard des Prés

85200 FONTENAY LE COMTE

Tél : 02 51 51 37 68

Fax : 02 51 51 49 76

lundi de 15h00 à 19h00

mardi, mercredi et jeudi de 10h00 à 13h00 et de 15h00 à 19h00

vendredi de 10h00 à 19h00

samedi de 10h00 à 18h30

Toubio

13 rue Kléber

85200 FONTENAY LE COMTE

02 51 69 35 26

Mieux Vivre

9 pl Liberté

85110 CHANTONNAY

02 28 15 93 05

Thanks Clair for those addresses - will have a go at finding them next week!

Water Rat - thats what I needed, the names of things to buy, thanks for that. Could I make bread from the Sarrasin flour?

Cooperlola, our SuperU has a fine selection but didnt know what to look for or what the names of the alternatives were. Rice cakes are a good idea tho, thanks.

Could you not ask this person to bring some of the flour/ pasta / bread ect with her for you to then cook with your own sauces .....

Im sure this person would be more comfortable with products she knows and trust ? Is this a friend or a paying guest ?  Im sure you could work some thing out between you.

Yes I had thought to ask her to bring some stuff out with her. I wanted to be able to get a meal prepared ready for when we get back from the airport with them rather than having to cook late at night. Shes probably limited with weight allowance too for heavy stuff like flour.

[quote user="Celestine"]

My friend is coming to stay for 5 days which is great news. However, she is lactose intolerant and wheat too! Seems my world famous lasagna wont be appreciated this time round!

Can anyone advise me on which products to buy instead of the normal things please, rather than me having to stand in the supermarket for hours reading labels that I don't understand lol. Is there a wheat-free pasta in France and would I be able to find it in the hypermarkets? I also need some alternative butter or margarine, cheese (goats cheese is OK but want some kind of grateable really), mayo and bread that isnt wheat bread.

Any help much appreciated :)[/quote]

Hi Celestine

I had a foster child for a year who had galactosemia and could not have dairy products.

I found it much easier than you would think to feed her. We replace all milk for soya milk, used vegetable margarine, cheese was a problem because lactose is in all cheese made from mammals, but I do believe their is a cheese made from non dairy products but was unable to find any.

It is amazing how many products have dairy ingredients in them: biscuits, cakes, sweets, baked beans, and lots of ready meals.

I found that as I do a lot of home cooking the I knew exactly what was in the meals I was feeding her so after sourcing foods that were OK it was much easier.

I cannot help you regarding the celiac(sp?)problem.

Good luck

You can make bread just with buckwheat, but it's better to mix it with another flour to lighten it up a bit. We had a friend with a similar diet stay last summer. I made pancakes just with buckwheat flour and they were fine. Nice with sweet toppings, or rolled up, stuffed with spinach and pine nuts and baked with a tomato sauce on top. I also made this 'potato bread' which we ate with roasted tomato soup and they went down very well (although more like fried crumpets/scones than bread) -

1 lb peeled, cooked potatoes (floury rather than waxy)

4 oz buckwheat

1 oz butter, half tsp salt, half tsp baking powder, milk.

Mush up all together, add enough milk to make a rollable dough, not too sticky, roll out to a heavy coin width on a floured board, cut into triangles and fry in olive oil (preheat oil first and try and use a non-stick pan) until golden on both sides. I add black pepper and rosemary too.

Really nice with baked beans and bacon too!

Enough for 3 or 4 people as an accompaniment.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]I also made this 'potato bread' which we ate with roasted tomato soup and they went down very well (although more like fried crumpets/scones than bread) - [/quote]

This sounds really nice and I'll definitely give it a try [:)]

I ususlly get them to bring their own bread, so they do not have to worry about feeling ill if I get the wrong stuff and you can't go wrong with a meat, potatoes and veg meal or rice.  For sauces stick to homemade (so you know what's in it) and tomato based is easy.  Chilli and rice for example or chops with roasted pots and veg with a tom sauce. good luck

Yes, thats all good advice too, thanks. Just a shame as I have set dishes that I make well which I do for visitors but all of them include things she cant eat, mainly creamy, cheesy, yummy dishes. Saves piling on the calories tho I suppose lol.