price of cherries?

squidge

ok ....i'm determined not to make the same mistake again......

cherries are beginning to appear in the supermarkets at about 5,99 per kilo. last year i stupidly missed the cherry 'season' because i thought that the price would suddenly drop like all other produce for a couple of weeks when they have loads of the little things to sell. as far as i can recall, the price just rose and rose and i missed my chance to buy a nice bag of 'em.

does anyone know what the lowest kind of price cherries go for in a typical season? should it be 'buy buy buy' now or should i wait a few weeks?

squidge x

We paid 5 euros a kilo at the market last Friday which was more or less the first week of the cherry season. They were a similar price last year except when they were coming to the end and the quality wasn't so good, then the price dropped a little to around 4.50 euros. I don't think they will be superb this year though due to lack of sun and excess of rain but that won't stop us buying a few extra kilos to put in the freezer for some clafoutis in the winter [:P].

The price seems to be sticking at that €4 - €5 / kilo mark for good quality fruit.  There were some around on our local market today for €2.80-ish, but they were manky.

As said, it's the weather.

My girlfriend at the Convent ([;-)]) told me the other day that the frosts wiped the whole of their apricot crop, so no jam when the current stock runs out. She told me to get down there with a lorry to stock up ...... quick.  What it is to have friends batting for you who are on the side of the angels.

Cherries (local ones) have a very short season and the price at the start is usually the price for the season (unless there is something like a bad hail storm during the sale period in which case the price can rocket).  Before and after the local cherries they have to be imported (either from another country or region) and will usually have a higher price reflecting the transportation costs..

[quote user="Russethouse"]I hope you are wrong Andy, Waitrose wanted over £7 for probably under a 1lb yesterday [:(][:(][/quote]

RH, I am totally shocked.  You don't mean to tell me you actually shop at Waitrose?

UK production RH or imported?  I did make a distinction, and to be honest I am not up on UK pricing policies so it may just be cheaper for the supermarkets to import cherries from Italy than source from the rapidly disappearing orchards in Gloucestershire and Kent - who are largely owned/contracted to major food processing companies..

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]I hope you are wrong Andy, Waitrose wanted over £7 for probably under a 1lb yesterday [:(][:(][/quote]

RH, I am totally shocked.  You don't mean to tell me you actually shop at Waitrose?

[/quote]

Bien sur, nearly every day too (don't ask)

Interesting that Andyh4 - It is normally the complete opposite here in the Languedoc.

This year the season started with the Fête de Cerise at Cêret (66) on 8th May - Price was €30/kilo. (yes thirty!). At the Trausse- Minervois fête on the 18th may the price was forecast to be €7 to €8 per kilo but in the end it was €4.50. (€4.00 if you bought 5 kilos or more).

This week the local producers are selling at €3.00 in the market and we can get them €2.00 direct from the growers. Within a fortnight I expect them to go down to €1.00 direct which they normally stay at till the end of June. (unless of course the recent bad weather does cause a shortage).

All the above prices are for locally grown v high quality cherries - particularly the Cerise du Pays Cathare from Trausse.

rgds

Hagar

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

Bien sur, nearly every day too (don't ask)

[/quote]

Oh you extravagant, wasteful, profligate woman!  Do you think money grows on trees and have you no idea what the pound-euro exchange rate is?

In my house, if I started doing that, it would constitute grounds for divorce or bankruptycy.

Back from shopping : I paid £3.49 for 330 grams and they are imported from the USA. They are on promotion as they are reduced from £4.99.

Actually buying the cherries from the USA, and bananas from the Winward Isles, kind of knocked out the feel good factor about buying rasberries from Berkshire and Hampshire.[:(]

Sweet 17, Oh, maybe I should stop visiting Waitrose, there's a M&S Food next too it ...any better ? [:D]

There was an article in l`independant this week about the cherries in dept 66, aparently up to 80 % of the crop was lost by some growers in the area with the heavy rains we had over the past week, so I expect the price will go up not down. I have not had to buy any so far, most of my gardening neighbours have their own trees, so if I am prepared to shin up a few trees I can take the ones from on high!

I was given half a dozen peaches , first of the season,yesterday from my neighbours garden, they smell wonderfull

[quote user="opas"]

I was given half a dozen peaches , first of the season,yesterday from my neighbours garden, they smell wonderfull

[/quote]

but how are the peaches ?

and more importantly, how is the "old lag" ?

John

[quote user="opas"]

sweet and juicy, so much so that it runs down your arms!

"old lag" no idea, what is that? that is not an expression I am familliar with.

[/quote]

It is a term sometimes applied to those who have been incarcerated.

John