cream

scotty

• 2 weeks later...
Easy to get whipped cream. I use Elle & Vire creme entiere (I live in Normandy) and a packet of Chantilly fixe which comes in small packets and is near vanilla sugar in supermarkets.  The packets actually say to use creme fraiche and can be bought all over France.

I use this for trifles or adding toi fruit puree to make a "fool".  

Excuse no accents, in a hurry!

Mrs H

[quote user="Chrissie"]

Have you tried whipping together a tub of Marscapone and some crème entière?  That way you get the consistency you want. 

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

That sounds very good and, as it happens, I bought a tub of marscapone only yesterday.  So will have a go for the scones I made the day before and put in the freezer.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

[quote user="andyps"]Elmlea isn't real cream, even in England![/quote]

Daft question, andyps, but if it's not real cream, what is it?[+o(]

[/quote]

The best way to decide what it is, and the same goes for crême chantilly is to put some (or spray some) on a plate, leae it overnight and do a post mortem the next morning on the disgusting gunk that remains. IMHO old style motorcycle chain grease or white grease being the closest.

The closest thing

Funny thing , did a blind tasting with elmlea, and french cream with chantilly fix all the English / Americans couldn't tell the difference between Elmlea and real English style cream but thought that the real cream with chantilly fix was over sweet with a sour back note and tasted synthetic one person (Finnish ) didn't like the Elmlea as it had ben whipped so assumed the fat content was higher than say creme fraiche ( it isn't ) Take that from that what you will! It won't kill you so why not try it and see for yourself. The only difference between Elmlea and cream is the fat content is vegetable based rather than animal based in cream. I did all this to see what would be the best to serve our Chambre D'Hote guests with cakes and scones :-)

[quote user="water rat"]It's highly processed "stuff" with veg oil in it, yeuuk![/quote]

Whilst we are on the subject don't forget they also make the most ice cream at Unilever (Ben & Jerry's, Magnum, Walls etc) A chemist once told me why do you think Walls make ice cream and suasages? Because Non dairy is whipped up pig! that'll upset the veggies and some relgious groups [+o(]

The latest offering is

http://www.unilever.com/innovation/researchanddevelopment/coolicecreaminnovations.aspx

We've finally tracked down a real whippable fresh cream! I suspect its only available in the Limousin area, but it certainly fairly new on our supermarket shelves.

Les Fayes Creme Fraiche Liquide - with the all important little message underneath, 'speciale Chantilly'. This version (next to the other creme fraiche) does not have the addivtives that give ordinary creme fraiche the sour taste.  Enjoy!

Our Lidl has just expanded in size and in the Chilled department is a new style bottle of Cream. Brand name is 'Milbona'. It is in a clear bottle with a red lid and is called 'Creme Fraiche fluide. I think it is 'whipping Cream'. It whips really well without having to add Chantilly fix, which I used to use before with the small cartons. Great for scones and Cheesecakes etc. The shelf life is about 2 weeks, where as the other creams are long life. Emlea is UHT veg fat cream, and too me has a slight metalic aftertaste. If using it for a cheesecake or something flavoured, it's not too bad, better than nothing if you want to pipe with it.