Bargain places to eat

The Mazagram on the D940 from La Chatre to Gueret on the turnoff to Aigrande (36). Friday nights is couscous night. Well worth it. Nibbles to start, main course of couscous with loads of lamb and veggies all cooked in a tagine, then a big ice cream all for 14.50€ - need to book, restaurants smallish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know any bargain places to eat near our place in the Gard, so would love some suggestions. Most places are not bargains, although very good. One place we used to like for a bargain meal recently shut; it was usually very busy, so guess they'd just had enough, rather than went bust. Jo

The Bar des Coopérateurs in Millau is just a few hundred yards from the MacDo that José Bové demolished, but a 100 years away in spirit.

I used to go there on Friday lunchtimes on my way home, while my French students went to the other place [:(]

It is as huge hanger of a place  with TV on the wall and a working man clientèle, but the menus are copious..

For 13 euros  you have a more than adequate meal with cheese wine and dessert.

I doubt that many could tackle the 23 euro menu, with 2 entrées, main course, cheese, dessert and wine and coffee..

Can any recommend somewhere good to eat in or near Boulogne-sur-Mer. We have people staying for the weekend and Boulogne is only about an hour from us and they have requested a visit there. It will be on Sunday evening, which may be a problem.

Suey

This is a great place for tartiflette, fondues, raclettes and the like but I see it says it's only open until 7pm! Might be worth checking, I'm sure I've eaten there in the evening:

http://www.boulogne-guide.co.uk/restaurants/la-cave-du-fromager.html

No good for a low-cholesterol diet, though...

Further to original post, found this:

http://www.bouldauduc.be/CaveFromager//restaurant.htm

Meh, it does look like it shuts at 7pm...

NB not only cheesy dishes, see menu.

• 3 months later...
Sue asked a question about a restaurant in Trôo.

Sorry to add to this posting so late but I have just stumbled upon it. Any way Sue, we have a small house in St Jacques Des Guerets, the village over the river to Trôo. Yes the restaurant used to be the Petit Relais, it was pretty grim but the new owners have transformed the place.  Make the most of the price's as everybody feels that the prices are low to attract customers, the Relais's reputation will take some time to live down,  but I'm sure that the new ownership will be successful. By the way there is a new restaurant in Montoire sur Loir called Cuisine de Fai, super Chef, French cooking with a hint of Chinese influence. Go to Vendome for a very special occasion at Sous Les Arbres, Rue des Tours, great menu for about 35 Euro plus wine and coffee. Last but not least, try Les Tournesols in Danzé, good honest French lunch, starter, main,cheese and dessert, bottle of wine on every table, 11.5 Euros.  As one of the earlier posters said "if it's full of workman you can't go wrong" and this one is.