Do you drink wine every day?

Frecossais

I don't. OH and I enjoy a bottle a couple of times a week at home, oftener if we're out for lunch or dinner. I love red wine but am very conscious that drinking it every day could create a dependency that I can do without. Maybe a glass a day might be ok, but once a bottle is open......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I have often wondered about, as the odd glass does seem to get mentioned quite often on here.

When we first got to France and for a few years we'd have a glass of wine with our meal most nights and then we stopped and usually only have wine if we have guests round which isn't that often. Wine for me compliments food. I never just sit and drink it.

Anyway unless I drink during a meal, I get tiddly and giggly on half a glass. Never drink spirits although I sometimes cook with them.

I would never end up being booze dependant. 

Yes Idun, I've noticed too that "un verre" is often mentioned frequently. I'm of the same opinion as the French: that wine complements a meal. I don't drink wine as an aperitif or if I go out to a pub.

However I can't envisage drinking it with say, fish and chips. That's why I make a bit of an effort with dinner sometimes, so I can have wine. But I daren't follow the French custom of a bottle of white to start with, then a red (or two) with the main course followed by a sparkly one at dessert, well only once in a blue moon anyway.

[quote user="Frecossais"]Yes Idun, I've noticed too that "un verre" is often mentioned frequently. I'm of the same opinion as the French: that wine complements a meal. I don't drink wine as an aperitif or if I go out to a pub.
However I can't envisage drinking it with say, fish and chips. That's why I make a bit of an effort with dinner sometimes, so I can have wine. But I daren't follow the French custom of a bottle of white to start with, then a red (or two) with the main course followed by a sparkly one at dessert, well only once in a blue moon anyway.

[/quote]

Fish & chips..muscadet sèvre et maine, Pays Nantais, preferably sur lie.

Drink what you like. If you fancy red wine with fish & chips that's OK, if you don't fancy it then drink something else, surely. Wine, like anything else, in suitable. moderate, quantities, won't do you any harm. It may even do some good according to some doctors.

I don't see any harm in a glass or two every day, but obviously if you drink a bottle every day then you may have a problem. But surely it depends on the rest of your diet, and the amount of exercise you get.

[quote user="Will"]Drink what you like. If you fancy red wine with fish & chips that's OK, if you don't fancy it then drink something else, surely. Wine, like anything else, in suitable. moderate, quantities, won't do you any harm. It may even do some good according to some doctors.

I don't see any harm in a glass or two every day, but obviously if you drink a bottle every day then you may have a problem. But surely it depends on the rest of your diet, and the amount of exercise you get.

[/quote]

I would just clarify that the wine tied to fish & chips is in fact a white wine and NOT a red as you imply above. However not all wines are suited to fish and chips, a notoriously greasy but popular english culinary concoction, where a more acidic white wine is better.

I do appreciate that wine & fish and chips is a bit of an oxymoron as custom decrees that the english will drown the unphotogenic mess in a liquid consisting of acetic acid and brown colorant.

I do remember on one occasion attending the local authority christmas do in a Ludlow Hotel when a local notable on the Council with little brain selected Sauternes as the wine for the main course. It would appear that this would have coincided with your eclectic tastes in wine selection.[:)]

I just want to make it claer that I don't necessarily think I would drink wine of any colour with battered fried cod, or drink Sauternes with anything other than pudding or some cheeses - or maybe something like foie gras -  but if somebody else likes such combinations surely that's up to them. I wouldn't want to tell them they are wrong, it's personal taste.

In my opinion there's too much crap spouted about the 'right' wines, and having just, an hour or two ago, had a meal in Norway accompanied by some very unusual choices of drink, I am speaking direct from experience.

Idun: I don't know if you are petite but I know that smaller folks tend to feel the alcoholic affects of a drink quicker. I did when I was quite thin years ago but found that some type of carbohydrate to soak up the alcohol helps a lot. A piece of bread before the first sip and I can drink several glasses with no effect (which I prefer as I drink wine for the taste and not the feeling).

As for red wine with fish & chips, the color of the wine with the meal for complementing depends not only on the meat but also the sauce. For darker, rich tasting fish or a fish dish with a heavy sauce or spicy batter a red is best but for a light, white fish or one with a white cream sauce, white is best. I recently prepared filet mignon with morel cream sauce and served it with a pinot gris and they went exceptionally well together in spite of it being a beef dish.

[quote user="debbie"]Idun: I don't know if you are petite but I know that smaller folks tend to feel the alcoholic affects of a drink quicker. I did when I was quite thin years ago but found that some type of carbohydrate to soak up the alcohol helps a lot. A piece of bread before the first sip and I can drink several glasses with no effect (which I prefer as I drink wine for the taste and not the feeling). As for red wine with fish & chips, the color of the wine with the meal for complementing depends not only on the meat but also the sauce. For darker, rich tasting fish or a fish dish with a heavy sauce or spicy batter a red is best but for a light, white fish or one with a white cream sauce, white is best. I recently prepared filet mignon with morel cream sauce and served it with a pinot gris and they went exceptionally well together in spite of it being a beef dish.[/quote]

Very adventurous indeed and rare original geniality marrying a morel sauce to your filet mignon; filet mignon of porc I presume with toadstools.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/morel.html

[quote user="debbie"]Idun: I don't know if you are petite but I know that smaller folks tend to feel the alcoholic affects of a drink quicker. I did when I was quite thin years ago but found that some type of carbohydrate to soak up the alcohol helps a lot. A piece of bread before the first sip and I can drink several glasses with no effect (which I prefer as I drink wine for the taste and not the feeling). As for red wine with fish & chips, the color of the wine with the meal for complementing depends not only on the meat but also the sauce. For darker, rich tasting fish or a fish dish with a heavy sauce or spicy batter a red is best but for a light, white fish or one with a white cream sauce, white is best. I recently prepared filet mignon with morel cream sauce and served it with a pinot gris and they went exceptionally well together in spite of it being a beef dish.[/quote]

Petite moi, well when I was a girl I was slender. However I am no longer slender. Now and then I could never take my drink. I never liked drinking enough to drink more to get used to it. Every few years I'll have a lot to drink, which is probably about 4 drinks, and I really enjoy it and am very drunk. Do that regularly, never, I'd rather have tea and the odd good cup of coffee.

[quote user="Benjamin"]I believe the saying "A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine" is attributed to Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. I have no idea what colour one should drink with cornflakes.  [Www]

[/quote]

Our French neighbour worked in England for five years, and he was telling us that he loved the "full English" breakfast, but as he considered it as a meal; of course he had to have a glass of wine with it, happy days!! [:D]

I drink nothing if there is a chance I have to drive especially if OH and son are not home. Drinking in moderation because I don't want to get one of those big red wino noses you see many people with plus too much causes havoc with peeing a few times in the night for some reason or other.

[quote user="Val_2"]I drink nothing if there is a chance I have to drive especially if OH and son are not home. Drinking in moderation because I don't want to get one of those big red wino noses you see many people with plus too much causes havoc with peeing a few times in the night for some reason or other.[/quote]

It's only a problem Val if you are asleep at the time. [:D]

Yes, Mr C and I share a bottle of Saumur nearly every night. Heck, I'm in a wheelchair and I've got cancer.  S*d it.

Having said that, when he's not there (even if for a fortnight or so), I don't drink from the moment he leaves until he comes back unless I have a visitor or go out.  Drinking on my own just never occurs to me - a can of Coke or Orangina does just fine - to me it's a social habit, just not the same by yourself and, for me anyway, a bit pointless.

My mother is 89 and fit and well in mind (well, as she's ever been, at least) and body.  When I was young and my parents were still together,they regularly drank spirits, and when I lived with my mother in Malta she drank wine at home and Horse's Necks (brandy and ginger ale) on a regular basis when out partying -which she was quite often when the Navy was in port!  Now she always has a bottle of beer with lunch and two glasses of red with dinner.  Some people can deal with alcohol, some cannot. It's a question of knowing which category you fall into and watching your step (especially when p*ssed!)

[quote user="Val_2"]I drink nothing if there is a chance I have to drive especially if OH and son are not home. Drinking in moderation because I don't want to get one of those big red wino noses you see many people with plus too much causes havoc with peeing a few times in the night for some reason or other.[/quote]

Not only the wino nose, Val, it's also the pot belly![:'(]  NOT a good look, alas!  But for those things, I think I would happily become dependent.....[6]