HP Baked beans

Wendy

Our local Shoppi is now stocking HP Baked Beans. On the good 'ol brit label are the words '4 for 99p' and ''41p per tin'. Now, work out what 41p would be in centimes here.

Ok, what I would like to know is how the hell do Shoppi justify charging nearly four euro's for a tin!.  3.75 euro's to be exact !!.Especially when a can of Heinz bk'd beans from Carrefour will set me back only 1.58?.

It's ridiculous. Where do they get their figures from?.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking.  There's no end to the scandals in this world.

However .............. I have a feeling that your aforementioned HP Beans (my BB's of choice) have now been re-branded as 'Branston' Beans. 

Anyway, when you need a can of Baked Beans, you need a can of Baked Beans, and you'll pay anything, won't you?  If it's liver & bacon, + chips, you need bb's to go with it, don't you?

Answer: friends to bring a bootload down with them when visiting.  Heavy, but compensated for by the wine on their return journey.  Warehouse stocks available here. [;-)]

Why not make your own? It's not hard to do......

Buy a tin of  the disgustng french version ,haricot blancs in tomato sauce. Empty them into a saucepan. Add roughly (to taste) one teaspoon sugar and a really good pinch of salt. Then add a little tomato puree, literally about half a teaspoon and heat well. Voila, baked beans, but not as the French know them!

You can tweak the salt, sugar and tomato puree until you get the balance right.

Dead easy, taste just the same, and cost cents!

Aly

>>You can tweak the salt, sugar and tomato puree until you get the balance right.

Dead easy, taste just the same, and cost cents!<<

Not quite they don't - according to our young visitors - the French beans are not as soft as the UK ones!

Sue

HP Beans in our local Super U are 1.90E and Heinz Spaghetti hoops my favourites are 1,20€. I will buy these products if I wish and at those prices because at the end of the day, one tin feeds two with lots of toast and is therefore a pretty cheap meal. The shop was also selling green plastic patio chairs for 6€ with english £4.99 stickers on them as well.

Wen,

If they are too expensive then don't buy them. Of course the UK prices on the tin are going to be meaningless here. The shop is stocking items to please its UK clients, more than likely, so why do you not see this as a plus, if it is an item you crave. Of course they will be more expensive. I would expect to pay over the odds for a packet of my 'good 'ol' local goat cheese, if I bought it in Walthamstow high street.

It's not ridiculous, it's business - it is a local store, not a big Carrefour. Newsflash - we pay more for convenience products - they are convenient!

Jane

I dont buy them, cannot stand the bloody things. But I couldn't help but notice the price. I only buy them from Carrefour when we have English guests that land here, only 2 hours after leaving the UK, and demand eggs, bacon, baked beans, etc,  for breakfast.  (Why is a cooked English breakfast so much more in demand on holiday?).

I agree about the flatulence...particularly the verbal kind.

[quote user="wen"]

I dont buy them, cannot stand the bloody things. But I couldn't help but notice the price. I only buy them from Carrefour when we have English guests that land here, only 2 hours after leaving the UK, and demand eggs, bacon, baked beans, etc,  for breakfast.  (Why is a cooked English breakfast so much more in demand on holiday?).

I agree about the flatulence...particularly the verbal kind.

[/quote]

It is not more in demand for the majority of english visitors to France as you say , but a reflection of your particular guests!

OK, so it those who travel from Stansted, Birmingham, Southhampton, and also those those coming up from Spain?. I have just  spent 2 days in Salou and can understand why so many Brits expect Brit food wherever they go...all the food outlets there are Brit/Scot owned and they ALL do English food. Why?. [8-)]

Can the Brits not travel abroad and eat anything else other than beef and ale pie; cod and chip; full english breakfast; all day english breakfast; all day-into-the-night english-breakfast;  sausage and chip; scampi and chip...?

Why leave home at all?. At least I have learned why so many Brit families are so obese.

I live in France and cannot stand cooking egg, bacon and beans. Furthermore, I do not understand  how people can even eat such a concotion.[+o(]

Unless they have an obvious name or are called Steve I never think of our posers as birds.

Somehow I imagined a big tall bloke in a lumberjack shirt with a black beard and a gauloise in his gob cooking over a wood burning range with a huge frying pan loaded down with lovely fresh rashers of bacon, sausage, fried bread, baked beans, deep yoked free range eggs, black pudding, tomatoes served with lashings of toast and strong sweet tea. To all the French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish etc truckies standin in line for the first decent meal of their lives.

Or Doris doin Meusli with widdly watered down milk

Mention of all that above, reminded me of going every year (about this time) to the Fairford Air Display. Arrive early - 08.00.   We took a big old toy box, which served as the 'kitchen' for a monumental fry-up as described.  In the open air + hungry - marvellous.

Passers-by would have given us a tenner for a plate of what we rustled up.

Has anybody tried the 'baked beans' you can buy from Aldi's?

They come in a large jar and I swear are probably even better than the normal ones.

ps dont have them for breakfast but theres just times when only beans on toast with a slurp of Worcestershire Sauce will do!