Sunday Shopping?

Benjamin

But wanting a quiet day does not only depend on what you as an individual or as a family want to do, does it?

What I love about Sundays here is the lack of traffic and the sense that other people are also taking time off to do their own thing.

Now, it just wouldn't be the same if I decided I'd make Wednesday, say, as my quality time day to spend with the family, would it?

Other people, including lorries, would be driving up and down my road, I'd hear the noises they make and I'd know that peace and quiet could only be obtained if I locked myself indoors and shut all the doors and windows.

No, it's also a sense of communion with others wanting peace and quiet too:  THAT'S what makes Sunday special, AS LONG AS they don't spoil it opening retail outlets of all sorts.

It's very good sometimes to be STILL.[:)]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I wish my new neighbours could hear you sweet.........

They mow the lawn early on sunday mornings, I HATE that [6], and  it is FORBIDDEN ( at least here in Niort !!)

[/quote]

So I assume you will be putting a copy of the regulations from M le Maire in their letterbox to remind them of their (neighbourly) obligations?

Sue [;-)]

[quote user="Scooby"]

Now, now Benjamen - jealousy will get you nowhere LOL. 

[/quote]

Too bl**dy right I'm jealous. [:P]

I only earned zillions but had to work the same hours as you. [:D]

But I did get to retire at 43 years of age.

Odile

You can take your Junior Moderators hat off now as Scooby and I have [kiss]ed and made up.[:P]

An excellent vintage in my opinion [:)][:)]

I'm don't often shop on a Sunday, but  we do see people using a trip to Tesco's as a family outing, shopping, a drink, a go on the toy cars or planes they have outside etc......not ideal, but if both parents work I guess its a fact of life, although I used to either leave my children with my OH or do a swap with a friend so I looked after their children while they went shopping and in return they looked after mine.

Personally I think shopping and children is a combination made in hell.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Goodness  If Odille's 'junior' I feel like Methuselah [:)][/quote]

Calm down dear woman, calm down.  [:-))]

Junior as in less experienced. Then add the word Moderator and you'll see where I'm coming from.   [:D]

[quote user="valB"]If they do eventually open on a Sunday it will  not be  law that you HAVE to shop. Go shopping if the need is there or have a quiet day instead. All down to personal choice.[/quote]

Right, but what about supermarket employees?

They also have families...........

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="valB"]If they do eventually open

on a Sunday it will  not be  law that you HAVE to shop. Go shopping if

the need is there or have a quiet day instead. All down to personal

choice.[/quote]

Right, but what about supermarket employees?

They also have families...........

[/quote]as do the hospital workers and night-shift workers...

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Students need the work as do single people

[/quote]

I agree with that 100% , but do you sincerely think this could be guaranteed ?

If only students and people volunteering for sunday jobs could be hired , that would be OK, but I know what it would be like after let s say, a year..

Sunday work would have become ordinary, and so, for all workers, no option but work on sundays.

[quote user="valB"]If they do eventually open on a Sunday it will  not be  law that you HAVE to shop. Go shopping if the need is there or have a quiet day instead. All down to personal choice.[/quote]

Val, that's just my point; can't have a quiet day just because I choose because the bloody road outside will be full of cars with people going to the shops and full of delivery lorries, etc.

I'd just as soon they don't open but then that's only looking at it from my own little, blinkered selfish viewpoint and not thinking of anyone else at all!  Nice sometimes to pretend that the whole world exists just to please little old moi............[:P]

as I have said above, Tesco workers were initially told they would have the choice - but after a couple of years this choice has been withdrawn. Once something becomes 'the norm' then choice goes.

Doctors, nurses and police, etc, have to work round the clock due to the nature of the job - shopping is very different.

[quote user="odile"]as I have said above, Tesco workers were initially told they would have the choice - but after a couple of years this choice has been withdrawn. Once something becomes 'the norm' then choice goes.

Doctors, nurses and police, etc, have to work round the clock due to the nature of the job - shopping is very different.
[/quote]

That s exactly what I meant , but you said it so much better than I did::!![:)][;-)]

Everyone employed at Tesco before July 1999, still gets double time for working Sunday, currently £13+ on the lowest rate, after that it is still time and a half, the exception being the smaller Express store which are bonus driven. It is still choice to work on a Sunday unless you have actually been contracted to work on that day, in which case you lose the right to refuse to work, but not the right to the premiums[geek]

The main points of the text adopted yesterday (my bold):

Loi Maillé

• Tourist or spa

areas
    : All types of shops may open on Sundays. Up to now, only commercial activity related to tourism or spa has been allowed.

• Food retailers: They will open on Sundays until 13h rather than midday.

• Other retail: Creation of "perimeters of consumption of exceptional use" in urban towns

of more than one million inhabitants. These will be created under by the préfet at the request of the municipal council. Are

concerned that the major cities of Paris, Aix-Marseille and Lille. The

Lyon metropolitan area is excluded from this system.

• Sunday work: Must be done on a voluntary basis and must give rise to contingent

pay, including a doubling of wages
    . These provisions do not apply to

employees who already work on Sundays because of their activities

(cinemas, hospitals, restaurants, etc..) or place of work (tourist and

spa areas).

As a result of a UMP amendment, the text guarantees the

reversibility of the
employee's commitment to work on Sundays. The

agreement will be revocable by the employee each year
. The refusal

shall take effect three months after written notice to the employer. In

the absence of collective agreement, an employee may refuse to work

three Sundays of their choice
per year provided the employer

is advised a month in advance.

By amendment, in tourist areas where Sunday work will now be allowed, negotiations will be open on measures to compensate employees.

The law does not apply in the departments of Moselle, Bas-Rhin and

Haut-Rhin, which are subject to the provisions of the local professional

code.