Le Tour - Spectating Any Tips

Hopefully I will be able to see stage stage 18 - Cahors Angoulême on July 27th

Never been to a live cycle race let alone Le Tour.

Any tips ideas, how long before the stage start to be in position, etiquette (if any) etc would be appreciated from those of you who have experience of Le tour

John

You need to be at your position at least four hours before-this is the good bit-advertizing cavalcades,displays,freebies etc.The Tour itself goes by in minutes-seconds if you are on a flat bit.

Look at the time schedule for the stage (www.letour.fr/)

If you simply want to see the riders, drive to the nearest

village, and as the access will most probably be closed,

you should be able to walk to a suitable viewing point.

If you want to see them at departure or arrival or in a largish town in-between, drive there and park your car 3 or 4 hours before the advertised time for the 'caravane publicitaire'.

The sponsors cars throw goodies along the route. Expect a scramble from children and adults alike for those! If you have children with you and they want souvenirs, they'll have to be quick!!

Do keep them close when the

riders arrive. The speed of the sprinting peloton can come as a

surprise.

Enjoy! [:D]

As said on the previous posts get there early.  Take some seats, a brolly and plenty to drink, find a nice spot and take in the atmosphere it is electric.  You wait for ages for a fleeting glimpse but it will be worth the time and effort.

We are going to see that stage - driving over for the day,  look out for a burgundy coloured Mazda Bongo. 

Seeing the Tour anywhere has its charm. Certainly the start is quite interesting, as you can see the riders and cars and buses and so forth, but at a slower pace.  But if you are close enough, you might study the map and check out the Tour at a feeding station or a sprint.  Sometimes the sprints (marked on the maps) are meaningless, as there is a group that has broken away from the larger group and they don't compete to win the sprint.  Other times it gets a bit more interesting than merely seeing a large group pass by in a flash.  At a feeding stations, things slow down a bit and the riders try to grab bags full of supplies from team helpers standing on the side of the road.  That is sometimes a little chaotic and therefore slightly different than watching the big group just ride by in a clump.  I  agree with others that you should get there early and have water, food, a seat if possible, a hat.  The sights, souvenirs and the strange silences between the various sections of the Tour, as well as the arrival of the helicopters, are all worth the wait.  And you can chat with those beside you, maybe even share the spoils of the embarassing scramble for the freebies from the publicity caravan. Hills are a good place to see the Tour as well, but the little ones on your day's route are not likely to make the spectating more interesting, although there are always more spectators on hills, so the atmosphere is better.  I guess one piece of advice is don't take a photo of it.  Just listen as they go by, the sound of a passing peloton is very odd, slightly haunting and unlike anythin you have heard.  The "feel" of them passing is also quite intriguing.  It kind of ruins it to take a photo, you miss the feeling and the sound.  The finish itself can be quite an event.  Even if you don't get close enough to see the finsh itself, there are big screens near the arrivee where you can see the race quite well, in addition to the buildup.  You also can "feel" the speed of the finish, something that most people are geuninely amzaed by.  And after the finish, nearly all the buses, and many of the riders are quite visible and accessible.  You can actually wader around quite freely in many cases and see the giants of the road in real life.  I know lots of kids that find this enchanting and special.  And adults too.  But you need a bit of knowledge of Angouleme to find the best spot. 

TV's synopsis is spot on. (& the other contributions, by the way).

We recce'd a bit of the route near-ish to us the other day and sorted out more-or-less where we'll park up. Obviously, somewhere to leave the car: shade if possible (but take your own): a view of the riders coming & going: easy side road access in & out. 

A cold box containing a nice civilised luncheon and plenty of good reading material.  A nice day out + free.

No particular etiquette, other than the usual international banter.  If you're on the open road, you'll be up & away 5 mins after the race has passed.  There's worse ways of spending a day.   

Stage 12 of Le Tour, Montpellier-Castres on 20th July goes right past my front door.  I am really looking forward to all the razzamataz surrounding it (even if the actual riders go by in a flash),  so much so that I postponed my trip to London.  Maybe I could make a few bob selling food and drinks to spectators and letting them use my loo!  

Tour De France

1. Get there very very very very ...early

2. Try and get yourself a spot on a hill ( uphill !), means the guys don't wizz past in a blur.

3. Don't take photos, you can rarely beat the stuff the pros take. Savour the moment.

4. If you take a dog - put it on a short lead ( did you see what happened to the T-Mobile rider today?).

5. Finally...The Caravane - don't miss it but but if you have children be very carefull. They do have a tendency to dive into the road for the goodies that drop short of the verge and there has been at least one fatality as a result....

However, above all enjoy it, it is IMHO the hardest sporting event in the World and everyone should see it at least once -  you won't regret it, the buzz is incredible.....the Stefan  family annual pilgrimage will this year be Plateau de Beille this Sunday, and Foix on Monday. We've got probably a decade's supply of  Euskatel sunhats and enough T- Mobile keyrings for every door in Buckingham Palace..and a Bidon as disgarded by Lance Armstrong ( under lock and key) - we wouldn't miss it for the world. 

Rgds

Stefan (09)

All excellent advice.  I still have my bidon which I claim was discarded by Greg Lemond.  It could have been anyway, I have photos to prove it is possible. 

And the advice about photos is very solid.  Forget it, just open your senses, and watch the other idiots lean out into the road to get a bad photo.

Might I emphasise about kids.  I find it hard to believe that more kids don't get injured or killed.  The irresponsibility of parents, when there are motorcycles and cars and odd vehicles going by stuns me every time I watch the Tour.  In fact, that goes for the lads who chase the riders in the middle of the road.  Not to mention the dogs.  But the magic of the Tour must cover all this, as with 15-20 million people on the streets and roads of France and elsewhere, it must be the power of the maillot jaune which protects us all.  I am quite sure the that the Good Lord (should he or she exist) wears yellow during three weeks in July.

Although I shall see the finsh in Montpellier (got my hat and red rucksack on the front page of the Midi Libre two years ago), it is true that the the climbs are often the best places.  Mainly becasue as you wait, you chat and you have great views.  But anywhere is good.  For collecting the souvenirs you need to be with corwds, as the freebie distributors take a break in the full countryside.

Don't forget water and sunhat.  Most people forget that they don't stay in full sun for four hours normally, so don't realise.  And dumping water on your head and neck can help beat the heat.

Plateau de Beille... I envy deeply.

8 years ago now, they came past our house.  We set ourselves up in the lay-by opposite, with our video camera set up on a tripod and just relaxed and watched the fun.  All the above advice is good.  Take chairs and a pic-nic and enjoy the razzamatazz.

One of the riders relieved himself against our gate post - spotted us opposite watching him and gave us an official TdF drinks bottle!

If that rider had been seen by a commissaire he could have been fined 20-50 Swiss francs (I don't know the exact amount, but it is nearly nothing).   They are of course allowed to stop and fulfill their natural needs, but they are NOT permitted to do it near habitations or crowds of people.  Mind you, some of them do it from the bike, but its a secret procedure known only to the bike fraternity.  Many people are quite curious about that question.  This year, unlike many yeas, the TV often shows the riders stopped by the side of the road, doing it.  Usually they edit those pictures out.  Normally they make the natural needs stop at the beginning of the stage, rather than at the end.  You would think one of the bosses would say to them, "Now make sure to go pee pee before you set out".  By the end they are not producing a lot of urine due to heat and sweat and work.  Sometimes it takes one of them ages to produce a wee piddle for the drugs tests. 

I saw a couple of stages of the Tour in the Vendee in 2005.  Unfortunately, we weren't really prepared the first time, and it was incredibly hot, so plenty of water is a must.  We ended up asking one of the villagers for some in the end.

As we were at the 3km to go banner, I walked down the finish prior to the cyclists arriving and the atmosphere was amazing.

I was hoping to catch it in the UK this year, but didn't make it.  Will try and get to Brittany for the start of next years tour.  Also, I will be around to see a couple of stages of the Tour Du Poitou Charente this August.

[quote user="Gardian"]

We recce'd a bit of the route near-ish to us the other day and sorted out more-or-less where we'll park up.   

[/quote]

Tomorrow is a very flat stage, but where we'll be is at the top of a hill which doesn't even feature in the route profile.  I'd be knackered just trying to get up it in 15 mins, let alone these guys who've already done 120kms (that day) by the time they pass!

37C in the shade today at 15.30 - much the same tomorrow.

Good race this year - anybody's!

Hi

I've been trying to download the map of the Cahors to Angouleme stage but all I can find is a not very detailed map of the general route and it took 50mins to download (only got dial-up!).  Can anyone suggest where I can find a more detailed map, perhaps with refreshment stations and hillclimbs marked.  We're Tour virgins and are taking a group of French teenagers with us - so don't want to end up in a not very good place

thanks

Here for the map (parcours) and timing (intineraire horaire)  http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/LIVE/fr/1800/etape_par_etape.html

There will be a map the day or two before in your local paper and of course in L'Equipe the day before, with much information about the daily standings.

And of course read all the excellent tips that have already been posted.  As a newcomer, you can avoid making mistakes which are simple ones to avoid.  But I bet you have a good time.  And the kids... no question.

Looking at the details above for tomorrow stage.  Not sure if I am correct in thinking that the first time Caravane is the promotional caravan and the following 3 times are the riders (about 1hr 45mins after the caravan).  Is this the most detailed map available as I want to check for certain the road is passes through our town on.

Probably too late for you, but yes, the first time is usually the publicity caravan, which you might try to see once in your life.  The rest of the times arefor the riders, depending on what speed they go.  As for details, the most detailed  route is usually in L'Equipe the day before, but the one above, the Official Tour  Site should be enough.  Usually if there is a change in an obvious route between two towns or junctions, it is marked on the route map and on the road.   And in any case, if you look on the roads in your town, you will see bright arrows attached to street furniture where there is any doubt at all which way to go.  They would have put them up yesterday.  Or you can ask neighbours or buy the local paper.  Good luck.

Yes, it should be possible to listen to Tour radio, within a certain radius, that is, when the Tour is nearby.  I don't understand the technicalities of radio frequencies and distances.  Nothing.  But one day, some years ago, I wrote down a figure in a notebook, and have copied it over and over through the years.  The figure is 153,000 khz.  I have in fact never used this information, so it might be out of date or wrong.  But it was correct the year I wrote it down.  I suppose that you should be able to search for it with some kind of device, but as I udnerstand it, only when the Tour is nearby.

I say nothing more, since I know nothing more.

[quote user="Gardian"]

If you're on the open road, you'll be up & away 5 mins after the race has passed.  There's worse ways of spending a day.   

[/quote]

A very pleasant, if blooming hot day, yesterday.

Parked up on the open road around 11.30.  Gendarmerie coach dropped off a young policiere about 30m up the road and who spent the rest of the afternoon bollocking some frisky 16yo's who were doing occasional bike sprints up and down the length of the road!

The caravan was pretty much as usual, but entertaining nonetheless.  One year, I really must count how many Skoda Octavias go past before & after (for any who don't know what I'm getting at, they're major sponsors and provide all the accompanying cars).

Once the race had gone through, we were up and away, but a bit of a jam 5kms down the road - gendarmerie in 'shoulder-shrug' mode and it all sorted itself out fairly quickly without their intervention (which they had no intention of giving anyway!)   

[quote user="mimi"]

Stage 12 of Le Tour, Montpellier-Castres on 20th July goes right past my front door.  I am really looking forward to all the razzamataz surrounding it (even if the actual riders go by in a flash),  so much so that I postponed my trip to London.  Maybe I could make a few bob selling food and drinks to spectators and letting them use my loo!  

[/quote]

Well, how was it for you then.  I am always curious how people take to the Tour, or not.

We went to see Le Tour today and it was an enjoyable experience.  Got our fair share of freebies and then watched the bikes come passed not too quickly since they were going up a slight hill.  I have to say how tired they all looked and they had only been riding for about 45 minutes.  Anyway this is a long shot, but did any happen to tape the live broadcast of Le Tour today.  I am curious to see the part we watched as it does not appear in the highlights.  If anybody did please let me know.  Also if you know where it may be available to watch online in full that would also be great.  It is not on Eurosport or France 2 website

Thanks

Sharkster

Hi

I must say that I was a bit disappointed.  I naively thought there would be scores of spectators all jostling for a good position when in fact the only people on our part of the road were us and our immediate neighbours.  Ours is a village of about 450 souls and I would say that  about 100 turned out to watch.   I was surprised at how fast the caravanne publicitaire passed through, I was expecting some sort of carnival.  We got a few goodies and obviously there was not a big scramble every time something was thrown. Was very excited when the riders went through, particulary the main group, wonderful sight.  We didn't appear on the tv broadcast as they did an aerial shot as it passed through our village but I recorded most of the action on my camcorder.  Anyway, all in all a bit of a strange experience but I was glad I was lucky enough to see it.  Just to add, for some strange reason, the atmosphere reminded me a bit of the total eclipse a few years back.

Sharkster

I recorded most of the stage, unfortunately the commentary is in german as the only decent picture we could get was on german Eurosport. If you only want a little clip of it passing by you and you let me know where, I may be able to email it to you.

Hi Mimi,

Funny how one has expectations, and then they are not what happens.  When you think about it, unless you are on a hill, near a sprint, at the feeding station, there is little reason for anyone else to watch from your village, except those in your village.  If you happen to have the only cafe for some distance, that is another reason for people to hang out.   Or if there is a particularly obvious beautiful spot (like near a river) to have a picnic and be able to see the Tour at the same time.  Spectators tend to accumulate in the special spots, rather than just on the road.  If you watch the Tour there are long stretches of coutnryside where there is no one much watching, just fields or trees.  Then suddenly in a town or near a hill, they get packed in.  Maybe in the centre of your town there might have been more people, but there you go.   Mind you, the eclipse is always a bit special too, so your comparison with the eclipse as a spectator event is intriguing.  In our vantage point yesterday, things were quite calm, although a bit further up the climb, the atmosphere was more exciting.

As for the caravan, it tends to slow down and give out the stuff where there are more people.  You were quite lucky to get anything if there were only you and your neighbour in the immediate vicinity.  Still, it didn't take much time to get to your vantage point, or to return home.  Some people get caught in awful traffic jams.  Next time you will know, and either pick a better spot to get a little more of the ambiance, or else just skip it and watch on TV.  The Tour is special event, but it certainly does not suit all tastes.  For example, I know people for whom the scramble for the goodies is so disturbing they won't go unless they are in an isolated spot, far from the men with umbrellas turned upside down to harvest as much as they can.  And of course others just have no interest at all in sports or in the Tour.  But if you check out some of the stages in the Pyrenees, I am sure you will see some fatastic scenery and a good race, a bit more drama.  But no caravan, they don't really show that on TV.