pamplona festivities/bull run

I just cannot see the point in getting into an argument about such different points of view.

Clair, you obviously miss the point here, it has nothing what so ever to do with the content of the post, but everything to do with having the right to ask for HELPFUL  info and not getting people replying with their viewpoints on the rights and wrongs of the content.

Why can't someone just post, just get an answer, and be left alone to get on with things.

WJT,  In reference to my mention re negative posts, yes i have had negative posts replied to me and they were my very first postings on this web site soon after i arrived here in France, They concerned hunting here in France and my quest for info with regards to me looking into getting involved.

Lovely baptism it was.

[quote user="sharkhunter"]I just cannot see the point in getting into an argument about such different points of view.

Clair, you obviously miss the point here, it has nothing what so ever to do with the content of the post, but everything to do with having the right to ask for HELPFUL  info and not getting people replying with their viewpoints on the rights and wrongs of the content.
Why can't someone just post, just get an answer, and be left alone to get on with things.

[/quote]

I must agree with this point,  There are days when I am afraid to post anything due to the backlash.  I fully understand that it is an open forum and everyone has a right to an opinion but in this case, the OP asked for information on the event and not peoples opinions.

The word is forum - if you want sterile info, go to google.

Sharkhunter, if you follow your logic you may as well say 'Why is the bull run just allowed to take place without protesters'? The fact is that people do protest, year in, year out. It's an emotive subject and you knew that before you posted.

Take heart though, if it were my husband taking part if the bull didn't kill him, I would. [6]

[quote user="sharkhunter"]I just cannot see the point in getting into an argument about such different points of view.

[/quote]

Actually, I was simply replying to your previous comment where you highlight your view about "using animals for fun":

[quote]Just a quickie

in response to you WJT, does taking photographs of live animals come

into that category ?? In a zoo for example, poor lions eh !! In the

wild, or should i say in a fenced area,  that seems to be in the wild

for tourists to coo over and snap away happily ?? But then again its

just for fun isn't it............................................

We

all have crosses to bear, some more noticeable than others,  even those

who like horse riding or even donkeys on the beach, why even people who

keep parrots etc tut tut

Never been on a horse drawn carriage, or would like to ? See above re using animals for fun
.[/quote]

You could have ignored the disapproving posts and simply not replied to them and taken on board any "HELPFUL info" you received, but by seeking to justify your idea of fun by comparing it to other places where animals are exploited, you also feed the discussion and encourage people to express their own point of view.

The fact that I prefer not to engage into a discussion about the wrongs or wrongs of your chosen form of entertainment is neither here nor there.

Unfortunately for you Sharkhunter there are people in the world (hopefully growing in number) that find these sorts of activities disgusting and when asked about them on a public forum will say so. I am very surprised that it took you posting on this forum to find out that not everyone agrees that killing and cruelty to animals for pleasure is OK.

Oh dear.   I understand what you mean, Sharkhunter but this is an emotive subject so the reaction's not altogether surprising is it?  My only thought when I saw the pic was:   "Good for the bull!" and a total lack of sympathy for the guy.  But only in so far as he knows what he's letting himself in for (as do you, no doubt) but the bull didn't.  Bovines 1, Humans 0 - in this case.  Sounds like a pretty fair result to me.

Ok, i give up. the minority has backed off due to the brow beating of the majority, or so it seems, of this forum.

However, when you all tuck into a nice steak or bacon sarnie or sunday roast chicken i'm sure you will be happy in the knowledge that it was not killed for your pleasure, more because it was  ' due it ' cos of its age or something like that.

Ridiculous comparism i hear you to say but true regardless.

I also assume you all like honey, poor bees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I think there's a bit of a difference between eating animals for food and using them for sport, although I bet many of the posters on here who are totally opposed to this kind of thing are veggies.  I just feel a kind of sneeky delight when the human gets hurt by the bull and not the other way round.

if we follow your logic, it would be perfectly OK to ask for advice about getting involved in dog fighting, badger baiting or other kind of animal/human/child molestation. A forum is by definition an exchange of ideas and opinions.

it would be perfectly OK to ask for advice about getting involved in dog fighting, badger baiting or other kind of animal/human/child molestation.

Thats a sick and depraved thought, why do you think of such things, your life must be pretty sad to bring into the equation child molestation.

This posting has died a death, why do you wish to resurrect it with such an idiotic response, let it go, all the others have !!!

[quote user="odile"]if we follow your logic, it would be perfectly OK to ask for advice about getting involved in dog fighting, badger baiting or other kind of animal/human/child molestation. A forum is by definition an exchange of ideas and opinions.
[/quote]

Hang on a minute Odile!

A person asks a question about running with bulls (and, after all lets face it, they are herding creatures anyway), and he gets a response like this.  Do you realise you have said he has the logic to ask for advice or get involved in child molestation?

I really think you owe the OP an apology.  Another member got banned some time ago for a similar and equally vile comment.  Others have been banned for less!

I am disgusted [:@]

I have NEVER EVER suggested any thing of the kind, so no apology required I feel. I am only making the point that this forum cannot be used to ask info or advice about extremely controversial subjects and not expect people to react by expressing their opposition or opinion. People expressing a critical opinion of the Pamplonna bull run have been insulted and derided by the author. I was illustrating extreme cases in order to make the point... at what stage does one make the cut off point between what is acceptable or not on a forum as this. And as far as I am concerned cruelty to animals is too far already... but what if?

If you wish to ban me, please do so.

Firstly Odile, I do not have the authority to ban you although I do have the option of reporting you.  However, I have chosen not to because it always seems a bit sneaky to do that and is against the grain of the person that I am.

Saying you have NEVER EVER suggested anything of the kind is a load of rubbish and I suggest you look over your post.

You say the original poster has upset other writers on the forum.  Howerver, looking over this thread, you seem to have cast the first stone here Odile.  So, do you think there is a rule for you where you can give your tuppence worth but everyone else must keep schtum?

Finally, you query the cut of point of what is and what is not acceptable on the forum.  I think you have already overstepped that mark luvvie dont you?

[quote user="odile"]I have NEVER EVER suggested any thing of the kind, so no apology required I feel. I am only making the point that this forum cannot be used to ask info or advice about extremely controversial subjects and not expect people to react by expressing their opposition or opinion. People expressing a critical opinion of the Pamplonna bull run have been insulted and derided by the author. I was illustrating extreme cases in order to make the point... at what stage does one make the cut off point between what is acceptable or not on a forum as this. And as far as I am concerned cruelty to animals is too far already... but what if?
If you wish to ban me, please do so.
[/quote]

Oh, just thought it best I put this in just in case you go denying your own words again

my only initial comment was 'shame about the bull ..and the shark'      sharkhunter could have ignored this he chose not to. He went on to call anybody who comments on anything 'nosey parkers without a life'. So forget about the sharks or the bulls - there is a huge point of principle here. Sharkhunter wants to be able to post anything on this forum without being challenged in any way. this is not what a forum is for.

Let's have an exemple. Badger baiting is illegal in the UK but legal in France. There was a badger baiting competition near Macon just a few weeks ago. would it be appropriate for somebody to ask for advice on how to get involved in badger baiting? And should this request for info be banned, or should people with strong views about the subject, or experts on the subject, be allowed to comment? I did suggest that if Sharkhunter wants the right to post anything without being challenged in any way- then where are the boundaries?

Ladies - please !!!!!

Odile - If you want to know the boundaries read the Code of Conduct - users may not post about illegal activities and I suspect we would be deleting posts about enjoying badger baiting. Archant fund this forum and they are in the UK, where this is illegal.

Katie, The report button is there for a reason  (to avoid this kind of 'bat - ball' )- please use it and do not start discussing the rights and wrongs of other forum members posts on open forum.

Frankly I think the original post would have caused comment on any forum with intelligent users, if some one has advice regarding the practicalities of taking part please contact the original poster by PM.

I'm locking this thread for the moment.