BBC SPOTY 2009

Iceni

Dunno.  The BBC seems to make the initial choice and the public only gets to chose from their idea of the "top 10", as far as I can make out.  All so that they get paid for the votes with these phone-ins.  Racing is the 2nd most watched sport in Britain and yet it gets a very poor press.  To my mind jump racing remains one of the most dangerous sports around and jockeys risk life and limb every day for our pleasure (as do the horses although they have less say in the matter) - sad that they never get the recognition they deserve.  I realise that racing isn't everybody's cup of tea but one could say that about any sport.  At least there is still a genuine risk factor involved which one couln't say about much these days in our "cotton wool" world.

[quote user="Richard"]From what I understand the national press puts forward its nominations and then the top ten are gathered from that. I see Wayne Rooney featured heavily on the lists, but I'm sure he has a personality disorder.[/quote]

...fixed that for you Richard...[:D][;-)]

My elder brothers father in law Ted was a jockey for many years. Sadly he is departed now but some of the stories he told. It certainly isn't a sport with the amount of fixing going on. Ted got banned a few times for accepting backhanders. He also told about making the horse blackout by pinching the kneck vein to slow or stop the horse. He said TV made things more difficult as before TV the jockies would wait until they were out of sight and do a back roll off the horse.

He laways said in his thick Irish accent "Throw your money down the drain it's quicker and easier and exactly the same as betting on horses". Luckily I never had so it was no problem for me.

[quote user="buelligan"]

[quote user="Richard"]From what I understand the national press puts forward its nominations and then the top ten are gathered from that. I see Wayne Rooney featured heavily on the lists, but I'm sure he has a personality disorder.[/quote]

...fixed that for you Richard...[:D][;-)]

[/quote]

Thanks, I thought it didn't read right at first ! [:D]

Hi Cooperlola I lived for about 25 years in a house which was on Chepstow racecourse and which is both flat but mainly over jumps.

I was sickened by the horse ambulances coming on the course and then taking the horses which were behind green enclosures to the Curre hunt and when the hounds obtain a wonderful evening meal.

It is the right of others to support the sport but seriously if you had seen some of the things that I have you might at least think about the consequences.

I absolutely support of others to enjoy what they consider a sport but only when all runners come home safely,.

Well, what a load of rubbish. Ryan Giggs!!! No doubt he is an excellent footballer (so my OH tells me) but Sports Personality of the Year......give me a break! He hasn't achieved anything this year that he hasn't done other years so why not wait until he retires (which must be soon) and give him a Lifetime Achievement award. David Hay was much more deserving of something, as was Mark Cavendish. I'm pleased for Miss Ennis and Mr Button though.

Hiss, Boo, Humbug[:@][:@][:'(][:@]

Well, I'm glad to say that my o/h didn't know who "Giggs" was when he read the final list.  There's a real man for you!

I didn't know a lot about David Haye and I hate boxing but I must say that after hearing him being interviewed and seeing the brick sh**h**se he beat I thought he deserved a top three place, but a footballer?  Groan.  My point about AP was precisely one of recognition (even though you haven't heard of him, Northender).  Racing (like it or not) is still the 2nd most watched sport in the UK and thus deserved, I thought, a mention for a guy who is the most successful at his sport sinces its inception over two centuries ago.

The real winner for me was Major Phil Packer. I know he won the Fundraiser of the year award and at SPOTY the Helen Rollason Award for

outstanding achievement, but he was the highlight of the programme for me. I've followed his exploits for a while and his guts and strength of will is simply amazing. Pure class.

Cross channel row.

London Marathon

Climbing El Capitan

[quote user="DerekJ"]The real winner for me was Major Phil Packer. I know he won the Fundraiser of the year award and at SPOTY the Helen Rollason Award for

outstanding achievement, but he was the highlight of the programme for me. I've followed his exploits for a while and his guts and strength of will is simply amazing. Pure class.

Cross channel row.

London Marathon

Climbing El Capitan

[/quote]

I agree Derek - an amazing guy, absolutely outstanding. I also thought Eddie Izzard's achievement was fantastic.

"Who is AP McCoy by the way?"

He rides horses.

Champion Conditional Jockey (newbie) in his 1st year here from NI (1995?)

Champion Jockey for the past 14 years and well on the way to his 15th.

Has ridden most winners ever in a season (nearly 300) Flat or NH.

Last season rode winner # 3000 (next winningmost is on 1999 or 2000).

A. Fan

Ok A.Fan , I am now enlightened , and a little chastened.

Must be that Celtic blood boiling , one uprising in 2000 years is enough.

There are lots of people in many sports who are worthy of much more recognition , but do not receive it because the Media will always pander to the majority.

As you are probably aware I do not follow horse racing , but will never forget being taken to "Glorious Goodwood" as a 15 year old by my Father and Uncle.Having only ever seen it in black and white on TV , I was mesmorised by all the bright colours the Jockeys wore.

Doesn't anyone think that this culture of  'phone in voting' is rather biased and LCD. Why should I have to pay some vastly overpriced amount to vote?

Should I have money to waste I would have voted for Valentino Rossi, talented, skillful and a cheerful chappy. If it were not for the likes of Joey Dunlop and Agostini  he would be the best motorcycle racer ever.

[quote user="Richard"]Agreed dog. I'd never vote on those x factor type shows either. Why should I pay out money in order for someone else to get rich producing the same crap that's already out there? And no way would I vote for some highly payed sportsman to win some pointless award.[/quote]

If you think its pointless why offer an opinion that "Cavendish or Button should have won"

Of course in the past lots of English guys got gongs for doing things that they are paid to do and somewhat well at that.

Nice to see our lads draw the test yesterday at Centurion and cricket is my bag and brought up in the days (yes years ago) when you could only play for Yorkshire if you were born within county borders.

Of course yesterday we had four South African born players playing for us. Three are easy who is the other?

Will not comment on Ryan Giggs might be biased in that I am Welsh.