Winter Olympics anyone

Quillan

Yes!

I was watching the ski de fond sprint last night.  Boy am I doing it wrong!  Incredible 1.6Km in a little over 3 1/2 minutes.

Also the ladies downhill.  Much respect to all the skiers, you don't get a good idea of how steep and difficult it is from the TV.  At times it seemen more like survival than racing.  Did you see that poor (EDIT)  Swedishgirl who flew 60 metres near the end and took an awful hard landing.  Serious stuff, I hope she will be OK.

I watched the curling - I was going to add it to the insomnia thread [;-)]

Normally I enjoy it but  I just couldn't get into it last night.

I've enjoyed the speed skating and the ski events, luge seems a little wierd.... I'm looking forward to the figure skating (though it probably on at an impossible time for me)

Mrs 'Q' loves it, I am not a big fan so I watch something else if Mrs 'Q' is not in the room or the rest of the TV is bad so I have seen quite a bit. [;-)] I watch the ladies last night and the snowboarding yesterday, quite exciting stuff. The Japanese figure skating chap looked quite good as well. Wheres Eddie the Eagle, is he still around? See how much I know about it, not a lot.[:D]

Watching, watching, watching.... snowboarding, so exciting, and the downhill races...and all of it really. Love the cross-country too.

I can't stand sub-zero temperatures in real life, but it's wonderful on TV!

Although, came across curling for the first time, and couldn't make head or tail of it. I should google it really, it looks almost as impenetrable as cricket...

[quote user="5-element"]
Although, came across curling for the first time, and couldn't make head or tail of it.
[/quote]

Well, its like boules on ice isn't it?  Only small difference is that the players are Jocks (well, the Brit ones are), and they don't have a Gauloise in one hand and a glass of pastis in the other.

And don't forget the slalom.  I'd love to give it a go but I think they would just sweep broken bits of my body off the course.

Curling too, I always say I'm not going to watch it but I get drawn into the strategy of the thing.

One of my favourites has to be the biathlon.  Imagime racing with your heart going at over 200 beats per min then calm down and shoot a rifle, amazing stuff.

You can keep the ice dancing though, can't see the point.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

You can keep the ice dancing though, can't see the point.

[/quote]

Just cos you's got two left feet, Pierre!

Seriously, I just love to watch athlethes at the height of their powers, fitness, strength, skill.  How human beings can perform such feats leaves me shaking my head in wonder and exclaiming at the TV!

I enjoy all of the skiing but I particularly admire the level of athleticism of the cross country skiers.

As already said, the biathlon competitors are amazing. How they control their breathing to shoot after the physical effort of the skiing is beyond my understanding.

I'd like to see some fitness comparsions between athletes from different sports. I can only imagine the cross country/biathlon sportsmen/women would be scoring very highly.