Is it being British or is it the Murray effect?

mint

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/mastersaugusta/8442210/The-Masters-2011-Rory-McIlroy-insists-he-will-come-back-stronger-after-painful-collapse-on-final-round-in-Augusta.html

I heard the interview when it was revealed that McIlroy had had a tweet from Andy Murray to wish him well.

OH said straightaway that that was the Kiss of Death.

Or is it just because we like being the Underdog, the Would-be King, basically do not have the bottle (no, not the bottle that you hit when you have lost).....what, then?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

What, no one watched the action from Augusta?

Don't blame you.  It could be the most boring spectator sport.  I do think the course was very beautiful though.

[/quote]

Yes, I watched it - well up to a few holes from the end, when it was clear that Luke Donald only had a slim chance.

I think that it's very good to watch, except that if there are final contenders you've never heard of, you have no allegiance. Good for the pro game, not so good for occasional spectators like me.

As for McIlroy - we all just knew, didn't we?   

Even the excuses sound Murray-like.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/mastersaugusta/8443716/The-Masters-2011-Rory-McIlroys-final-round-plight-due-to-not-playing-enough-says-manager-Chubby-Chandler.html

Yeah, yeah, I've heard that story too:

But for this wooden leg, I'd have won the 1000 metres at the Olympics....

What's the matter with these chaps who can't handle winning?

Anything wrong with being First instead of What If?

Here we go again, the British Boy of Tennis, Andy Murray......LOST to Nadal in the Monte Carlo Masters!

When it was 1 set up, it looked, although BRIEFLY, that he could have a chance but, of course, it wasn't to be.

Mind you, I wasn't rooting for him.  Nadal is my all-time favourite but, even so, to just unravel like that in the third set and hand it all over..................what the hell's wrong with the guy?

The South Africans seem to approach such matters in a psychologically positive manner.[:)]

Well perhaps not always; I remember one of the Pollock brothers allegedly "pulling the wire" on the evening of an important test match which apparently took the shine off his balls; now I have let it out; yes it was Peter.[blink]

Perhaps the tennis player with the kilt and no under pants has a self control problem.[:D][:D][:D]

Monte Carlo won by Nadal today:  6-4,7-5, and it was tighter than the score might suggest.

All Spanish final:  Nadal vs Ferer (?spelling).

These guys don't buckle under pressure, unlike the Bonnie Prince Andy.  They went for all the shots and fought to the very end. 

The other thing I didn't like about Murray was the way he stalked off the court as soon as he'd punfunctorily shaken hands.  Did not have the courtesy to wait for his opponent so as to walk off court together.

Today's loser smiled, spoke graciously on the after-match interview and the winner waited for the applause to die down completely before taking up the mike to speak in his turn.

Two handsome, polite, sportsmanlike Spaniards.

Do you think that one of these coaches that Murray goes through like a dose of salts might have the cojones to insist that he at least behaves like a worthy winner?  

P papa wrote:- Well perhaps not always; I remember one of the Pollock brothers allegedly "pulling the wire" on the evening of an important test match which apparently took the shine off his balls; now I have let it out; yes it was Peter.

Are you sure it was Peter and not his brother Graeme? Or maybe Shaun?

Sweet 17 wrote:-

Sorry sweet...there is no such event!

Sorry folks, it has been a long winter and I have only just woken up and after getting overdosed on the item....Anything strike you as odd about this sentence....I had to make comment.

Are you still on the walk in Spain sweet?

Hi, Weedon, did you enjoy your winter in "warmer climes"?  How does the jetsetting life suit you and do you have un bronzage absolument magnifigue?[:D]

Walk in Spain all done and dusted but might be walking for a week or so next month on the French side.

Oh, well, if there ain't such a race as the 1000 metres, how about the London marathon?  I don't think the city looks that nice on the TV today though I am often homesick for it.

Kayak racing... I competed in northern Spain several times and the antics the Spaniards used to cheat and disrupt their opponents both before and during the races was really bad....

Coming round the foreign teams bedrooms late the night before the race and waking them up throughout the night.

Changing the position of rocks and routes through the rapids after foreign teams had recce'd the course.

Cheating at the take off points in sprint relays.

Spanish crews entered with only one purpose... to ram foreign boats and push them the wrong way down rapids.

Carrying their kayaks a few yards across an oxbow bend (that none of us knew was there) after hanging back and letting the foreign teams go on ahead and thereby saving themselves around half a mile of paddling.

I could go on.

Then there was the infamous Spanish paralympic basketball team of 2000.... 10 of the 12 team members weren't disabled.

[quote user="Weedon"]

P papa wrote:- Well perhaps not always; I remember one of the Pollock brothers allegedly "pulling the wire" on the evening of an important test match which apparently took the shine off his balls; now I have let it out; yes it was Peter.

Are you sure it was Peter and not his brother Graeme? Or maybe Shaun?

Sweet 17 wrote:-

Sorry sweet...there is no such event!

Sorry folks, it has been a long winter and I have only just woken up and after getting overdosed on the item....Anything strike you as odd about this sentence....I had to make comment.

Are you still on the walk in Spain sweet?

[/quote]

The pun on balls indicates a bowler;graeme more of a batsman; no shauns in the 60s.

[quote user="DerekJ"]Kayak racing... I competed in northern Spain several times and the antics the Spaniards used to cheat and disrupt their opponents both before and during the races was really bad....

Coming round the foreign teams bedrooms late the night before the race and waking them up throughout the night.
Changing the position of rocks and routes through the rapids after foreign teams had recce'd the course.
Cheating at the take off points in sprint relays.
Spanish crews entered with only one purpose... to ram foreign boats and push them the wrong way down rapids.
Carrying their kayaks a few yards across an oxbow bend (that none of us knew was there) after hanging back and letting the foreign teams go on ahead and thereby saving themselves around half a mile of paddling.

I could go on.

Then there was the infamous Spanish paralympic basketball team of 2000.... 10 of the 12 team members weren't disabled.

[/quote]

northern Spain ....probably basques.....enough said.

[quote user="virginia.c"]i wish we could go back to Murray Walker [/quote]OMG No.  Anything but that.[:-))]  At least now we are told what is going on and have proper, technical explanations by real experts.  I have never  understood the attraction of having commentators who don't know what they're gibbering about. 

Why does anybody care on which bit of this planet a great sports person (or his/her family) was born?  Isn't great talent enough?  If not, why not?

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Why do we care on which bit of this planet a great sports person (or his/her family) was born?  Isn't great talent enough?  If not, why not?

[/quote]

I personally don't care, Coops, it's when the British media stir up all this froth of "national sentiment", pride, whatever that I feel more than a little jaded.

So, Murray is ranked fourth in the world of tennis but why do they try and make out that he should be winning tournaments?

I mean, if he's really good enough, he'd win all right but the fact that he doesn't means he just hasn't got it, don't you think?

[quote user="virginia.c"]But wasn't it good to see Hamilton win? Exciting race too, made all the better because Eddie Jordan wasn't on screen. Just got to get rid of Coulthard now... I'm not that old really, but i wish we could go back to Murray Walker and James Hunt!![/quote]

What about Blistering Webber? Shame about Jensen; I don't miss Muddley Talker, never mind Coulthard, get rid of smug Jake Humphries, thank goodness for Martin.