Kindles etc

Pommier

Easy to change sites

Go to your account and hover the cursor to drop the menu. Select Manage your content and devises, sign in and select Settings. Then you can change where you get your books/mags/etc. from. When you have what you want you can change it again if you wish.

.fr have books in English but not the same selection. They also have deals of the day on all, I think, of the sites and you can get some good bargains and free books too.

[quote user="Pommier"]I've sort of decided on a Kindle Paperwhite, but when I tried to download a book from Amazon UK, it said I'd got to buy from Amazon France. Is that correct? How can I get round that and buy from Amazon UK?[/quote]

I had exactly ths problem. It affects only wifi Kindles, not 3G.

Here is my solution.

Install a VPN such as expatshield on the PC and select a UK IP address. Turn it on before logging on to Amazon on the PC so that the Amazon site thinks you are in UK.

Order the books for delivery to the Kindle.

Turn on the Kindle and the books will download.

It seems to be where the ordering device is seen to be located that is the problem so by fooling Amazon into thinking you are in UK all works fine. The location for delivery to the Kindle seems to be irrelevant

However, if connecting with a 3g Kindle and ordering from the Kindle there doesn't seem to be a problem.

This is not an isolated incident - many have suffered the same thing trying to order in France but there is a certain randomness to it.

I do not have a VPN programme on my Mac and I get my books from .uk. On the odd occasion I have also got books from .com. All done simply by changing your country in the sequence I gave above...

What would be the situation if you were on holiday here with a U.K. reg jobbie? Easy, you just order through .uk as you would from the U.K.

Not rocket science really.

You can order up to a certain number while abroad.

There was a thread about this a few years ago where a Simon-something refused to accept that some people were blocked from ordering outside UK. He got quite petulant about it and, in as many words, insinuated that those barred by Amazon were lying.

While it may work for Jonzjob, for those for whom it doesn't the VPN thing solves the problem.

I've ordered a Kindle, although in the end I bought the standard one as it's only €59. Having ordered it I did as Jonzjob suggested and changed my country to the UK. I've downloaded a couple of free books from Amazon UK to the Kindle Cloud (?) to check it works, which it seems to.

Many thanks - and no doubt more questions when it arrives!

We are both going through an intensive read time at the mo and have ordered numerous book from .uk and if there is a limit for it then it is a very high one.

97 books since July 2012.

Here's hoping for the end of the long hospital waits GG [kiss][kiss]

For those who are interested in an Android tablet (ie Kindle Fire-type colour-screen device rather than the lighter, longer-battery life but mono-only dedicated ereader), Tesco has unveiled the successor to the Hudl, called, amazingly enough, Hudl 2. This has an 8.3 inch screen as opposed to the 7 inches of its predecessor, has a higher resolution, is faster and has 2GB of RAM as opposed to the 1GB of the original and is priced at £129.  The Hudl 1 is being remaindered at £99 to clear stocks, and the Hudl 1 sized accessories are also being remaindered.

As is often the case, not everyone seems to have the problems with buying e-books from Amazon UK. 

Can I ask a couple of questions - especially to jonzjob...

When re-registering your Kindle to Amazon UK, did it accept your french address or did you use a UK address (I had to use my son's)?

Do you pay for books via a UK bank card or a french bank card?  I use my UK bank account.

I ask really because a friend of mine is thinking of getting a Kindle, but he does not have any links with UK at all and my experience required a UK address (and I assume therefore a UK bank account, which is why I used it).

We don't have a U.K. address, but we do have a U.K. bank account. We use our French address and pay from the U.K. account.

It's the same setup as we have for anything we buy from Amazon in that if we get anything from .fr it is paid from our French account and if from the U.K. then from the U.K. account.

I hope that helps?

[quote user="mazandcol"]Thank jonzjob, that helps.  I wonder if the UK bank account makes any difference?

Again, on behalf of my friend - has anyone out there managed to register a Kindle and buy books from Amazon UK using a French address AND a French bank account?

[/quote]

I'm not sure they know what address the payment card is registered to. I have an Amazon UK account with a French address and with French & English cards. I don't know about your friend but my English card is registered to my French address (I don't have an English address) and you have to use that address to use the card, i.e. card + address must match.

I have one UK bank A/C registered with Amazon but I can buy from UK or FR using it and that includes Kindle books but I've yet to buy one myself.

'er indoors does though on the rare occasion I can't find what she wants from other 'sources' that is !

Thanks everybody, but just to clarify (I know I can be a pedant - sorry)...

I have no trouble using my french address registered card on either French or UK Amazon - however the bank is UK (HSBC).  My friend only has a French address and a French bank account with a French bank. 

My question is:  will he be able to register his Kindle with UK and buy from UK Amazon?

Oh dear. The Kindle arrived today, but it doesn't seem to work as it should!

Near the top of the screen it says 'Cloud/On Device', but the Cloud part is faint. I spoke to someone at Amazon customer support and after lots of manipulations he decided it wasn't right and will pass the problem to tech support. They'll email me within 3 days.

It's rather disappointing (but thankful that Amazon UK did their best as I'd have no chance trying to explain in French to Amazon France)

Amazon told me to create a 'Collection' which I did and then the Kindle seemed to work! - How bizarre!

Anyhow, I had a look at Calibre (as recommended by Norman). What a good programme for organising and converting formats; so much easier than trying to organise on the Kindle, plus it keeps copies of all my ebooks.

Many thanks.