Something for the potager.

Chancer

I want to bring back something from England to soften up a retired French gent.

He likes the English and has always sought them out and tries his best to communicate in English.

He is a keen vegetable grower, nothing flashy, no shows or anything (do they indeed do that in France?) and loves to give away his produce, I cant be seen to be spending much but I would like to bring him back some seeds (or plants or however they come, - you can tell its not my bag!) of something different.

Do you have any ideas of a veg that is grown in England but not in France? Or perhaps a different variety with a different taste or look, something that he will like to grow and give to others.

Me I havn't got a clue and dont want to take coals to Newcastle [:)]

Oh and I have already thought about cannabis plants!

Also, they don't seem to have runner beans.  Yes, they have their haricots verts and those long flat beans (coco beans?) but not long runner beans like what we've got.

Also, how about some flowers such as sweet peas?

Bonne chance!

What lovely ideas!  The white sprouting broccoli is inspired!  May I suggest St George as the runner bean variety?  For the sweet peas, make sure you buy old fashioned varieties as many modern ones look good but don't have that fabulous smell.  Maybe you could also include some asparagus peas (unusual and attractive).  As far as outdoor cannabis sativa cultivation goes, I think you're on a loser in Picardie. [:D]

We have had many amusing conversations with our French neighbours about parsnips - they have no idea what they are. So when we go down next week I am going to take a few in a bag, and some seed - and some of the roast vegetable crisps which they love and which started the whole discussion...PB

Great ideas, thank you all for the responses.

I especially like the idea of bringing the vegetable and some seeds.

Pardon my ignorance but you cant eat sweet peas can you? He is a veg gardener and I get the impression that he would begrudge giving up fertile soil to grow flowers, he might also try eating them!

[quote user="Chancer"]

Great ideas, thank you all for the responses.

I especially like the idea of bringing the vegetable and some seeds.

Pardon my ignorance but you cant eat sweet peas can you? He is a veg gardener and I get the impression that he would begrudge giving up fertile soil to grow flowers, he might also try eating them!

[/quote]

Funny you should say that, Chancer.  The first year we were here, we were given some special seeds marked "sweet peas" from Canada.  They had a special coating on them to protect them from the cold Canadian spring and enable them to germinate.

Anyway, I planted a couple of nice long rows and came June was surprised there were still no flowers on them.  Eventually, when the flowers arrived, they didn't have any scent and didn't look like sweet peas.  Then the pods appeared and it was only then that I twigged that they were vegetables rather than flowers!  So, I guess you'd need to look at the picture on the packet![:D]

You are absolutely right Chancer; you can't eat sweet peas.  But they are food for the soul.  My great-uncle (who had a superb potager and really knew his parsnips), never begrudged a little space for sweet peas as he enjoyed presenting them to people he liked.  Here, in the Corbieres, sweet peas don't thrive.  My soil  has not been cultivated to a sufficient depth yet (I have only been working the garden for two years) and I cannot keep the plants moist and cool enough to grow properly.  I do grow things like zinnias alongside my veg though.  I do this partly because I love them and partly because, no matter how good my vegetables are, bouquets are always  received here with significantly more pleasure than veggies.  If your gardener-friend is anything like me the pleasure of giving bunches of sweet peas away will be something he will really enjoy.

Sweet Peas are readily available over here, so not too exclusively British. You can buy parsnip seeds here but most French people don't know them as I was told they are considered an 'ancient' veg that went out of fashion and are only just now returning. Runner beans sound a good idea but perhaps make sure he knows they will be climbers and need some space. (And don't forget to tell him how to cook them too!)

We grow runner beans and gave lots away to our French neighbours who loved them, this year we started off the plants for them so they could grow their own.

I would advise against parsnips, around here (Normandy) they are only sold as cattle feed and you dont want to unwittingly upset someone.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry that I have come across  this posting rather late, but an idea would be Butternut squash. A lot of our French neighbours were  fascinated by the ones growing in our potager, so we gave out young plants and recipes for Butternut squash, roasted and soup; and they have been very well received.

I have already done the trip now, I brought back runner bean seeds which a neighbour who has an allotment gave to me.

Being naive and expecting something minute that would be sold in a sachet I had no idea of what these beautifully coloured pebbles were, they are too good to put in the ground and would look better in a glass jar as decoration!

Last week took parsnip collection as planned. Much hilarity over the veg themselves - which by the way are in our local Intermarche too - anyway our neighbour is full of enthusiasm to plant the seed and she took great delight in cooking the veg - with apple, sauteed, served with duck aiguilettes and creamy mash - for us all,  on our last night - yummm...PB