Help!!

FairyNuff

We had them last year on a potato vine (sadly deceased in the winter, although at least hopefully we won't get the dreadful Colorado beetles again)

They were instantly recognisable from those old faded posters outside 1960's police stations.

We tried spraying, but that didn't have any apparant effect, so it came down to the pick off and squash (ugh) option. I wouldn't hang around as those we had were voracious!

Wearing rubber gloves when you squash them makes it a slightly less unpleasant job. It also helps to get rid of the little clusters of eggs that you sometimes find under the leaves and can't get rid of except by squashing. It needs to be done on a regular basis - you can't just do it once and forget about it.

Hoddy

Thanks for everyone's replies. We spent part of the morning picking off the adults, bigger larvae and eggs (gleefully dropping them into a jamjar of petrol), and squashing the smaller ones. About 30 minutes later, after a cuppa, went out again and found another dozen adults. I think they must have emerged from the soil. A man in the village reckoned that bordeau mix kills them, so we sprayed with that, but I bought some Decis J (Bayer) to treat the soil with.

After seeing the poster in the 60's in our Post Office, I felt as though I was admitting to a social disease. [:$]

Hopefully we've nipped it in the bud!

FairyNuff