E106 expires tomorrow. Just been to CPAM

One of the nice things about the South is that wherever we have been and whoever the official in any office, we have always found them to be courteous, friendly and helpful. With the possible exception of the gendarmes.

We have just come back from the CPAM office in Albi, where we went to ask about what we do now (not having heard anything from them). For the first time I was struck dumb. First she said, Yes, you are in CMU. Then she looked at her computer and said, No.. it ceases tomorrow. I asked what I should do. She said, 'you need a new E106 from the UK. I pointed out that this was impossible. She then said, 'you have been here for 16 months without working therefore you must be rich. Go out and buy private health insurance... it is very expensive (said with a broad smile)'. I pointed out to her that we are not, in fact, rich (we have been scraping by on redundancy money whilst renovating our place, but I digress). She then began to lose patience, pointed across the road to a building. 'Go there and get temporary work then. Come back here with your pay slips and prove to me that you have been doing 60 hours work a month and you will be admitted to CMU' (said with very tight lips).

I asked her what I should do in the interim period, with no health cover. I think this pushed her close to the edge. She stood up and in a loud voive said, 'GO OUT AND GET PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE'. At this point I realised that we were about to get into a circular discussion. What with my French not being so good I decided that I wasn't going to get any further.

That's when I produced the prepared letter (thanks for that!) duly signed it in front of her and handed it over. She glanced at it and had obviously seen it before. I think this is what pushed her over the edge.  Waving the letter in the air, raised voice, red faced, stomping around and clearly herding us towards the door, she shouted, 'COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN HERE FIVE YEARS'. She refused to accept the letter and thrust it back into my wifes hands. We deposited in in the post box in the lobby on our way out. Both shaken by the experience.

I don't think the outcome was any different to our expectations, but the way we were treated was appalling.

We then went to the Mutualle, who were very understanding, where they cancelled our top-up insurance, promised to refund the January payment and offered to help when I have registered as an artisan.

Meanwhile the sharp knives are in the back of the drawer, just to be on the safe side, and I'd better get some insurance sorted PDQ.

Have fun!

Tom

Oh that's awful.  Don't be disheartened.  There are people like this all over the world, it's just a shock when it happens to us isn't it, it's merely prejudice.  I must say being back home this week, I have noticed more that the British have a similar attitude to the foreigners there.  It's not nice to be on the receiving end.  I hope you get sorted out, and the New Year is better for you.[:)]

Georgina

What a dreadful experience and quite unnecessary.

We too less than helpful reception from our CPAM in dept 31 but it was nowhere near so hostile - she just laughed at us.  I had prepared all the forms plus the letter of appeal which also seemed to attract no interest.  When our dossier was returned later, with a letter telling us to obtain an E106 extension or to explain why it could not be extended, the appeal letter had been removed.  We put another copy in the file and returned it to the CPAM.  Fortunately, this time the reception was far more understanding but the outcome has been the same.  We have now lodged an appeal with the CPAM mediator.

Tom - you have mail

This appears to be happening all over the place, except Limoges oddly - who appear to be the only CPAM to have properly digested the December update of the statement, and have already admitted at least two E106 holders with chronic conditions to the CMU.

We have heard from the British Ambassador in Paris and they are still working on the FG to persuade them to get their house in order.  We know of at least one plan which is quick and easy to cancel, and can be used as a "holding" insurance whilst you're waiting.  I expect Ninthace has now sent you a copy of his excellent spreadsheet but if you need any more info', do not hesitate to contact us.

[email protected]

[quote user="Tarn1"]One of the nice things about the South is that wherever we have been and whoever the official in any office, we have always found them to be courteous, friendly and helpful. With the possible exception of the gendarmes.

We have just come back from the CPAM office in Albi, where we went to ask about what we do now (not having heard anything from them). For the first time I was struck dumb. First she said, Yes, you are in CMU. Then she looked at her computer and said, No.. it ceases tomorrow. I asked what I should do. She said, 'you need a new E106 from the UK. I pointed out that this was impossible. She then said, 'you have been here for 16 months without working therefore you must be rich. Go out and buy private health insurance... it is very expensive (said with a broad smile)'. I pointed out to her that we are not, in fact, rich (we have been scraping by on redundancy money whilst renovating our place, but I digress). She then began to lose patience, pointed across the road to a building. 'Go there and get temporary work then. Come back here with your pay slips and prove to me that you have been doing 60 hours work a month and you will be admitted to CMU' (said with very tight lips).

I asked her what I should do in the interim period, with no health cover. I think this pushed her close to the edge. She stood up and in a loud voive said, 'GO OUT AND GET PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE'. At this point I realised that we were about to get into a circular discussion. What with my French not being so good I decided that I wasn't going to get any further.

That's when I produced the prepared letter (thanks for that!) duly signed it in front of her and handed it over. She glanced at it and had obviously seen it before. I think this is what pushed her over the edge.  Waving the letter in the air, raised voice, red faced, stomping around and clearly herding us towards the door, she shouted, 'COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN HERE FIVE YEARS'. She refused to accept the letter and thrust it back into my wifes hands. We deposited in in the post box in the lobby on our way out. Both shaken by the experience.

I don't think the outcome was any different to our expectations, but the way we were treated was appalling.

We then went to the Mutualle, who were very understanding, where they cancelled our top-up insurance, promised to refund the January payment and offered to help when I have registered as an artisan.

Meanwhile the sharp knives are in the back of the drawer, just to be on the safe side, and I'd better get some insurance sorted PDQ.

Have fun!

Tom

[/quote]

I don't believe this is typical of the Tarn.   I went to our local CPAM on Friday to surrender my Carte Vitale as my E106 expired yesterday.  I was met with a very friendly lady who telephoned Albi, informed me that it should be possible for me to be covered by my wife's E121, took copies of all the paperwork she needed and handed me back my Carte Vitale!!  But I don't suppose it works today.  She assured me that I should receive a new attestation within a week and a new Carte Vitale sometime soon and told me how to activate it when it arrived.  She couldn't have been more helpful .  In the meantime keep all the paper 'feuilles' and hand them in for a refund when my attestation comes through.  It all seemed too easy, but only time will tell.  What I did not get however was hostility like you describe.  I wish you good luck

• 1 month later...
[quote user="aveyron"]

If you do not like it then yo should not live in France and go back to the NHS.

[/quote]

Aveyron, I think everyone is fed up with your pathetic

comments on this forum.

As well as being resident in France I was under the

impression we were European and as such were entitled to express our distaste

at the way the government here has made a complete mess of the present

situation. Had they said everyone entering France from a particular date must

have private health insurance until they became officially resident then we

would have had to accept the situation. As it is many people were left hanging,

not knowing what the future held.

I presume, because of your attitude, if the authorities were

to decide to build a road through your property or build a power station next

door you would not object or complain but up sticks and run back to the UK

because you were not happy with the situation?

Personally I would campaign against anything in France that

is unfair or adversely affects me just as I would have done in the UK. Your complacent

attitude is, unfortunately, typical of many people these days who prefer to run

away rather than try and put right a situation they know to be wrong.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="aveyron"]

If you do not like it then yo should not live in France and go back to the NHS.

[/quote]

Aveyron, I think everyone is fed up with your pathetic comments on this forum.

[/quote]

Just who is this addressed to?  Aveyron whoever he/she is, has only posted three items and two of those were about Rodez to Dublin.flights  So apart from the above post which you may not like jay, what other posts has he/she posted that you find pathetic and who is everyone?? 

Very incisive for a first post Popin jay, what I wonder made you break your duck for that comment?  Or is this somebody we know posting under another name?  I questioned the post as I have communicated with jay in the past, although there are,  it appears two posters with the same name or perhaps three now???

• 1 year later...

It probably is but this is one of those "Lazarus" threads and things have moved on a lot since it was previously posted on.  Now, any non-French early-retired EU national who registered with their CPAM after November 2007 is not entitled to join CMU until they have been here for five years.

If I can help with anything specific, please pm me, as the mail facility at FHI is not reliable at the moment, since the person who dealt with this has now gone back to the UK to live.  I will do my best to answer any queries I can.