Dentist charges?

Cat

Due to some over-enthusiastic chomping on sugared almonds last week, I've just had to make an appointment with a dentist here in france for a replacement filling

I've a feeling that it won't be covered by my carte vitale, and as I don't have a mutuelle I will have to shell out for the entire cost myself.

Does anyone have any idea how much it is likely to cost, or of a french dentist's scale of charges?

It's bad enough having to "look forward" to a visit to the dentist, without worrying which will hurt most, my mouth or my wallet.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the dentist with an abscess that was causing me a lot of pain , the dentist worked on my tooth and did some xrays he also filed one of my teeth down slightly because he said it could have been rubbing on my gum to cause the abscess, and what did this all cost me? 20 euros I must admit that was a lot, lot less than I'd been expecting, and I did'nt get a lecture off him about having to go to the dentist every 6 months to have a check up!

well, we've just been to the dentist for the first time in France - after 3 years here. we didnt actually have any fillings but you might be interested in what you get for your money. by the way, we were told that we would get reimbursed on our carte vitale - 70% - for all the soins, which i think includes fillings, but didnt include my husbands new crown. That cost him 400 euros. He also had a thorough examination, scrape, polish, all round high tech x ray and at least 2 hours of the dentists time. All that cost him another 50euros.

I had the same checkup, x rays, scrape polish and also had a wobbly crown removed, cleaned up, and carefully restored to its rightful position. that cost me 150euros.

not cheap but he was a very nice man.

hope that helps.

jean

I don't think you have to be worried about the cost, the visit and the replacement filling, which will be a white filling by the way, should be covered to the usual percentage under CPAM, I expect the total cost would be around €50/60 to pay the dentist, then you should be reimbursed about 65% of that on your Carte Vitale.

Thank you very much, June, Jean and Les, that is very good news indeed!

Now all I need to worry about is my ability (read inability) to communicate using french dentist type vocabulary, I feel a serious session with the dictionary coming on 

[quote]Thank you very much, June, Jean and Les, that is very good news indeed! Now all I need to worry about is my ability (read inability) to communicate using french dentist type vocabulary, I feel a seri...[/quote]

Cathy you will find that OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

normally translates quite well

• 1 year later...

I am about to return to the dentist again this week for some final decisions. I have had a recurring abscess for 2 years.

It did not show on X-rays (2 dentists had a go and a full panoramic face X-ray) but it only showed up on a sonogram.

Had root canal (I was so used to being in pain I had it done cold) and it has now moved deep into the gum between the teeth.

I have been in pain for 2 years and I have paid through the nose (excuse pun). Last visit €75+.

This time it looks like the tooth comes out and just having seen the costs of an implant I start to wonder if the old idea of having your teeth out for your 21st birthday was not such a bad idea.  The tooth can't be bridged.

The dentist is great, just my luck to get a resistant infection.

Di

I used to be so good about going to the dentist every 6 months, then our dentist in the UK stopped doing work on the NHS and my last visit to him (several years ago now) cost me an arm and a leg, all for two teeth.  He was extremely good and although I've always been terrified of going to the dentist he seemed to calm me.  It's so long since I've been now that I have got myself into quite a state about it.

My husband had to go here in France, just after our E106 expired and we were rather lax in getting our new cartes vitales so he had to pay full price, which for 3 visits and quite a lot of work came to 350€.  The dentist was quite apologetic as she knew he wouldn't be able to claim any back but as it was less than half of what we would have expected to pay in the UK he wasn't too bothered - and the pain had gone!!

As sod's law would have it, I've been here in France for 4 years now (and haven't yet been to a dentist - naughty I know) but with 2 days before our intended trip to the UK I have had two days of pretty awful toothache. I've tolerated much worse so am going to wait til I get back next week and just hope that it doesn't get unbearable over the next few days.  However, the one thing I haven't worried about is the cost, knowing that 60-70% would be reimbursed.  But I'm pretty certain that one of the two teeth that are giving me jip will need filing down and crowning and I'm now wondering, from what was said earlier, whether this is not reimbursable [:(]  I really don't need a bill of 300€+ just at this time of year.  Anyone know for certain if crowns aren't covered by carte vitale?  And why not if other dental work is and it's not for cosmetic purposes?

Crowns cost from 200 to 900 Euros depending on the complexity and the material used. You will be reimbursed by CPAM for 70% of the standard tariff. The remainder will come from your complementaire. The catch is that the 70% is based on the standard tariff which is 100 Euros so unless you have a very generous complementaire you will probably have something to pay.

Crowns, the price varies from dentist to dentist and also depends on one's mutalist contract too. The state gives some back, but not that much. I have a devis here and as my mutualist like to give it's accord I have the prices to hand.

5Crowns, 3468euros, the SS will pay 820euros towards this and the rest is between me and my mutualist, with rather a lot for me to pay, if I can ever afford to have it done. Normal soins are usually reimbursed well though.

ps my dentist is cheap compared to others around here.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Crowns, the price varies from dentist to dentist and also depends on one's mutalist contract too. The state gives some back, but not that much. I have a devis here and as my mutualist like to give it's accord I have the prices to hand.

5Crowns, 3468euros, the SS will pay 820euros towards this and the rest is between me and my mutualist, with rather a lot for me to pay, if I can ever afford to have it done. Normal soins are usually reimbursed well though.

ps my dentist is cheap compared to others around here.

[/quote]

Gulp! no wonder there are so many gumbies.[:-))]

And I got that wrong, that was for a couple of those crowns with metal finishes, for all 5 with ceramic finishes it is going to be 3748euros.

The base SS figures on my list are inlay core 122,55 €, so they will reimburse 85,79€ and the crowns are 107,50€ and they reimburse 75,25€. (figures from last summer)

Each mutualist contract is so different and each dentist charges a different amount, so I won't say anymore about cost.

Gummies, yes, there are quite a lot about.

Hi All

I had a crown here and I was reimbursed 70% of the cost, the cost was 370 euro's ish.  So not sure why there is a difference but my dentist was great, straight in did the work and got the reimbusement very soon after, a full 70% of the cost charged.  I was very happy as of course I would have had to pay the full cost in the UK and it would have been nearer to 400 pounds at least.

Panda

[quote user="Panda Bear"]

Hi All

I had a crown here and I was reimbursed 70% of the cost, the cost was 370 euro's ish.  So not sure why there is a difference but my dentist was great, straight in did the work and got the reimbusement very soon after, a full 70% of the cost charged.  I was very happy as of course I would have had to pay the full cost in the UK and it would have been nearer to 400 pounds at least.

Panda

[/quote]

Panda, I take it that you have top up insurance. If you hadn't then the Secu would have only reimbursed around 170€ no matter how much your dentist had charged. Depends which teeth need doing as to the price and the dentist ofcourse.