cost comparison - CMU - cotisations - PHI

chessfou

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Your remarks are at the least insulting, but then again one can never account for bad taste and a lack of manners".

Not insulting,  truthful, so I'll ignore your questions in future then?. 

If I misunderstood your post

"Perhaps a couple of other examples would also help to include some french interest and rental income, dividends, local and overseas plus capital gains. in other words the essential income that is deemed to be unearned or inactive income".

For a start there is no such thing as inactive income, but if you were not asking for accountancy advice  I apologise but it seemed to me you were asking people on here to give you advice that only an accountant would be qualified to give by including the treatment of dividends and capital gains.

Is that answer to your delicate taste?

[quote user="sunshine 2"]Rothrugby - we have not seen any ruling about not paying social levies if not in CMU 9 ( therefore having more money available to pay social charges)  This seemed to come from Chessfou on the first page of this topic.  I think its now clear to me that even if people with PHI are viewed as being equivalent to those with an E form, the possible saving is fairly insignificant and is not going to assist them in paying for PHI.[/quote]

The ruling about not having to pay social charges if you are not in the CMU is tax guidance note 2041GG.

If you are 'a la charge' of an obligatory state heath insurance scheme (either the régime generale through salaried employment, RSI through self employment, MSA through toiling on the land, or CMU as the caisse of last resort for the pre-wrinklies) then you are liable to social charges on your foreign earnings and pension.

If you are not 'a la charge' because the UK picks up the costs under the E form, or the costs are picked up by your private insurance, then you are not liable to social charges on your foreign earnings and pensions.

All other unearned income (bank/building society savings interest, investments, property rentals, drug trafficking etc) is liable for the social charges regardless of your healthcare situation.

Being a fellow of the Institute of chartered Accountants and also a fellow of the Institute of taxation, I feel that I do not need the advice of an accountant, nor do i need smug remarks. This board has been set up to help other people by sharing information. the points I made was to help and assist those people that would have earnings, that would cover some or all of the areas indicated. however you seem to have your own narrow agenda.

Enough said, u are on ignore.

ams

All other unearned income (bank/building society savings interest, investments, property rentals, drug trafficking etc) is liable for the social charges regardless of your healthcare situation.

If they would accept drug trafficking as earned income, then one wouldn't be inactif so would qualify for full social cover health, holidays, unemployment  the lot.......[:)] 

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Rothrugby That is also my understanding of how it works. 

However, for clarity I think this line should read :

CRDS -  is payable on total income, less allowances, including state or private pensions from the UK that are taxed in France

[/quote]

I've just read this through and now feel totally confused does this mean that it is not payable on pensions taxed in the UK?

We haven't paid anything all the time we have been here , I don't want a large back tax bill. We received one of those claiming 3 years back tax because OH had put apparently put something  in the wrong box(as instructed by the tax office) We sorted out that one but I wouldn't be surprised to find they'd told us the wrong thing a second time. Our income is soley from government pensions.

( we would have preferred to pay the French tax bill to the UK one as it was less than 2/3 of what we had paid )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having just ploughed through this entire thread again, just to get things clear in my mind regarding what you have or have not got to pay social charges on, another question has occurred to me.

If the 5 year rule is brought in regarding access to CMU, and if after 5 years you have forked out for PHI for that period, if not in possession of an E form, if I have this correct, you will then be allowed to access to CMU via 8% contribution of all income, would any money stashed away in a PEA or Assurance Vie be excluded from the 8% levy?

[quote user="Grecian"]

Having just ploughed through this entire thread again, just to get things clear in my mind regarding what you have or have not got to pay social charges on, another question has occurred to me.

If the 5 year rule is brought in regarding access to CMU, and if after 5 years you have forked out for PHI for that period, if not in possession of an E form, if I have this correct, you will then be allowed to access to CMU via 8% contribution of all income, would any money stashed away in a PEA or Assurance Vie be excluded from the 8% levy?

[/quote]The 8 % is levied on income, not capital.  It is in fact based on the RFI (Revenue Fiscale de Reference) which is on your tax return. 

Tram, see the link to our website (below) for all you've ever wanted to know about the health system in France, and loads you didn't!

The CMU (Couverture Maladie Universelle) is the part of the French state health system to which - up until a few days ago - early retired French residents who had no other health cover (from say, an E106 from the UK, a French work-based scheme etc) were obliged to contribute to  in order to gain access to healthcare here.  They paid nothing - if on very low income - to belong to the CMU complementaire ("complementary"; "free") and those earning higher amounts paid 8% of their RFR (world wide income, less allowances - Revenue Fiscale de Reference) - an amount which is shown on your tax bill - to what is known as the CMU de base (basic).

From the end of November, anybody not covered by an Eform, or a French retirement scheme, or who was not already contributing to (ie actually paying for) the CMU before that date, is now no longer allowed to join it, and must get private health cover until they reach UK state retirement age.  With me so far?

CMU contributions are not to be confused with social charges, which most people pay to a greater or lesser extent, which is a TAX and is based on a percentage of unearned income (investments etc), and contributes towards paying off the French national debt.  However, some social charges are no longer payable if you are not part of the French health system - which will basically be those who now have private insurance, under the new sheme.  The latter tax is the basis of all the confusion as there are conflicting reports and experiences as to how much one pays, and on what.  This confuses the h*ll out of me, and others too it seems!

To simplify health contributions/social charges even further...

CMU is one of the state heath insurance funds, so think of your 8% contributions as being your health insurance premiums. You pay them via URSSAF which is the DSS collections agency. 

Social charges are completely different - as cooperlola explains, they are a form of tax on income which you pay through your tax office.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

To simplify health contributions/social charges even further...

CMU is one of the state heath insurance funds, so think of your 8% contributions as being your health insurance premiums. You pay them via URSSAF which is the DSS collections agency. 

Social charges are completely different - as cooperlola explains, they are a form of tax on income which you pay through your tax office.

[/quote]He's good isn't he?

Although, S/D, if they were insurance premiums then they'd be legal under directive 2004/38EC wouldn't they? [Www]