What do you actually get from French healthcare system

Llantony

We plan to move over to France later this year.   I hope we can get into the French health system via my E121 (though not entirely sure if it will cover my husband too - DWP says yes). I realise I don't know exactly what that means?  Presumably we'll still have to pay for visits to doctor, hospital etc - but how much?  And will we be entitled to claim something back?  What %?

And we'll still need a mutuel too I guess.

Your husband should also be covered by your E121 (you should get 2 copies from the DWP - one for each of you.)

You will get 70% of costs back for most things, slightly less for medicines.  Then, yes, get a mutuel and that will pay most of the difference ( I say most, because the government keeps a couple of euros each time you visit a gp and 50c for medicines/prescriptions.)

Basically, between your E121 and your mutuelle, you'll get close to all the costs back.  There is one proviso, and that is that for some things - such as stays in hospitals - the percentage you get back from the state does not even approach the real cost - so make sure you get a good Mutuelle policy (for instance, my own covers 300% of the government's figure) so you get back everything you pay out!

Other things that are poorly reimbursed are  opticians and dentists, and some sorts of physiotherapy.  Some mutuelle plans will offer to reimburse you at, say, 130% or 180% - this percentage is then applied to the official "base cost" of treatment and helps to reimburse the much higher real cost.

Hope that hasn't confused you.

Chrissie (81)

Credit Agricole (Pacifica) is pretty reasonable.  I'm sure there'll be other recommendations.  The important thing is to shop around.

As to your second question, my own experience is that dental and optical care costs a very similar amount.  Whatever your top-up is like, you'll get something back from the state, which won't happen if you go back to the UK.  Having said that, personally, I do use my UK optician still for eye tests as he knows me - but that is the only reason.  Others may have differing views, of course.

When I had a mutuelle I was with UNILIA...................during a two year period I was hospitalised on three occasions (for between three and six days) and I didn't have to pay a' centime'. CPAM and mutuelle covered it all.  I found them (UNILA) very good with all cover, but I paid 50€ per month for that. The one thing I find annoying here (being a 'spec' wearer as well) is the fact that eye tests are not carried out by the optician..........you have to visit someone else..............the name's too complicated to spell...............sure someone will help me out. [blink]

ophtalmologiste/ophtalmologue, shortened to ophtalmo (oftalmo) [:)]

His prescriptions are now valid for three years and provided the changes in your eyesight are minimal, you do not have to visit him every time you need a pair of specs. Just take the prescription to the optican's for a new pair of specs.

[quote user="fussy"]I'm thinking about laser eye treatment, sick of my glasses and lenses, anyone know anything about this over here.I don't even know who to approach.[/quote]

Please think and research carefully about laser eye treatment. I used to work at a large London teaching hospital and none of the doctors involved in ophthalmology were prepared to undergo the treatment themselves as they felt there were still too many possible side effects and problems with it. They did not offer it to patients and I think you will find it is promoted by private clinics rather than the NHS.