Testing for Prostate Cancer

Iceni

Just a reminder to all you men "of a certain age" of the need for regular P.S.A. testing to try and catch this early. A trip to the doc, extraction of small amount of blood and within a few days the results - one less thing to be nagged about by SWMBO.

It was thanks to this type of test that my friend G had his cancer spotted early and, following a modest op, is now A1 again (or at least as A1 as he was before). BTW he had shown no symptoms that anything was amiss.

Back in N Essex my last test was the dreaded latex glove into the tradesman' s entrance and I prefer the blood test.

A.Wimp

I'd like to endorse what Iceni has just said. My OH was diagnosed with prostate cancer four years ago when being investigated for something else. Luckily it was in its very early stages. We both did a lot of reading because he was offered a choice of treatments. I was astonished at how widespread the disease is and I asked the consultant why there wasn't a screening programme as there is for breast cancer. He said that it was a political decision and not a medical one and that men generally didn't push for it.

I take every opportunity I can to advise men over 50 if they are of Northern European origin, and over 40 if they are of Afro-Caribbean or Asian origin, to get themselves tested every year.

You know it makes sense.

Happily, four years later, my partner is fine.

Hoddy

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December and have just had the prostate removed. The PSA test is not infallible, and a single test is of little use - your doctor needs some "history", to see the rate of change. Prostate cancer, like breast cancer, is a hormone-driven cancer. Incidentally, my GP said he didn't go up the Khyber Pass often enough to do the test with confidence, and sent me to a  urologist - just as well, as it happened. First class treatment from the French health service. And I can now give up eating bloody tomatoes.

My old Grandad has prostate cancer back in the 1950s and had it successfully operated on.

My old Dad had prostate cancer in 1980/1981 and did nothing about it until it was too late and he died of the disease in 1981.

This year, if I live until 13th June, I will have lived longer than my Dad.

I have PSA tests every 6 months because I'm high risk, especially with my other health conditions.

So many men fiddle with their bits themselves and talk balls, it amazes me that they don't do something about problems 'down there', get it sorted or die, no brainer really.  Unless you keep your brains in your balls that is! 

According to my Doctor, the latest medical advice is that the accuracy of the PSA tests can be improved by having one test in your forties before any problems are likely to arise. These results are then kept on your medical records to act as a more accurate base line to compare with, when you start having regular PSA tests in your fifties.

I was having a routine blood test last year for such things as colesterol and my Doctor suggested this, as all that was required was a tick in an additional box on the Lab request form.

Prostate Cancer is not the only potentially life threatening ailment which men are apt to ignore either because of lack of symptoms or out of denial and fear.

Bladder cancer can have no symptoms except for an occasional and painless passing of blood which many men will dismiss or maybe not even notice if it's slight. 

I didn't dismiss it as a result of which I had my cancer promptly diagnosed and operated on. I had a recurrence 2 years later and a scond operation and have to have regular cystoscopies for the next few years. Only when I have been clear for 7 years will I be deemed to be "cured". Believe me, having that camera inserted u-no-where is nowhere near as traumatic as you might imagine and a very small price to pay for something which may save your life.

As I say, for both instances of the disease I had absolutely no pain or discomfort or symptoms of any sort except as I say, the passing of blood, so fellas, if it happens to you please please do NOT ignore it. There can be several far less sinister reasons for blood in the urine so it doesn't automatically mean the worst but you have to find out.

My father has prostate cancer and is currently in hospital and has been for over a week now. His bleeding would not stop so it has been cortorised.  He is having hormone treatment to reduce the tumour and cannot wee at the moment, so has to stay in hospital until they can sort it out.  I just don't know what the prognosis is, but suspect it will not be going away.

So please post any information, I will be interested to read it.

Georgina[8-)]

Here is a link which gives some information about PSA. http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/prostate/psa-tests.html

I think basically if you have a PSA reading of over 4 ng/mg then you should have further tests. It is age related of course but generally speaking that level does need further investigation. For routine screening ask your doctor for an ordanance (prescription) for blood and urine tests. Take it along to the nearest laboratoire d' analyses medicales and they will do in very quickly. You will receive a written copy of all your readings which will include PSA levels, cholestererol and triglycerides. It will also show any abnormalites in the blood. Over the age of 50 your doctor should send you for testing annually. The doctor should now keep a chart record for future reference and to spot any changes.