More on Statins

Gardian

There's something in the back of my old memory box telling me that I've read or heard that statins have sometimes delivered a side effect of excessive / vivid dreams.  I've looked back to previous threads and trawled through all the 'are they good or are they bad' stuff.  Don't want to re-start that.

Saw my GP today for my repeat prescription and mentioned it in passing. "Never heard of it", she said.  I said that (before anybody else slips it in) that these dreams weren't erotic[:$] nor nightmare-ish, just vivid and increasing since I'd been taking statins. No other side effects, nor any sleep impairment.   

No big problem: just wondered if anybody else has had the same experience .............. or was I dreaming?  

So does Zopiclone I read last night.

Well I have been on Statins for years and am still awaiting my vivid dream. Its a bit like 30% of men being sexually harrassed at work, I waited 25 years plus and it never happened so I retired [;-)]

I wonder if they would be vivid exotic dreams [:D] .

I certainly get some vivid dreams though hadn't put it down to the statins.

Threw myself out of bed the other day - I dreamt I was passing water and thought hey this must be a dream - STOP!

The drug that really did me was antimalaria tablets they made me talk and think backwards, very strange,

[quote user="Cat"]

Until someone with their own experience of statin induced dreaming pops up, here are a few links to info proving that you weren't [geek]

[/quote]

Cat ...............

Thanks very much.  Really interesting pieces, a copy of which I'll pass on to my GP - she said that she'd be interested if I could get any more info, because she couldn't find anything in her massive drug tome.

I see that forgetfulness and aggression are other possible side effects. Hmmm !!!

I recently stopped taking mine ..cant say I had dreams ...had more trouble sleeping ..also all day at times  got a feeling like a heat lamp was being moved close to my leg then taken away...My doc dropped the dose down from 20  to 10mg and suggested I start again on that and see how it went  .....I felt better off the things ...now waiting to see if the side effects start again on 10...

Odile ............

Yes, I know what you mean, but our GP is the best one we've ever had, here or in the UK. She's German, lived & worked here for years, multi-lingual, and very well-respected locally (and that takes some doing in rural France!)  No shy-retiring flower though - I've been present when she's bollocked somebody at the hospital over some shortcoming.

Having failed to find anything in her tome, I said that I might ask around on this Brit forum that I frequent. She said that she'd welcome any more info.

You're right though - docs must dread the internet 'knowledge' that surfaces nowadays.

Since it's not a big problem for me, i.e. just vivid dreams, rather than nightmares or interrupted sleep, I might just leave it till the next time I see her.

Now ............ what's on the menu tonight?      

I have been on Statins for years ( now on ezetimibe/simvastatin 40mg&10mg) and I have very vivid dreams, sometimes I wake up and think this would make a good plot for a novel, however I never put it down to Statins.

I have no side effect at all nor has my sister and my sons (it's all hereditary) and this combination drug has very good results. (I asked my doctor in England to put me on this about a year ago after my sister and familiy showed such good results in Switzerland). 

Some years ago I was prescribed 'statins', I cant remember the actual type but it was 10mg per day for cholesterol control, over time this was raised to 20mg per day.

At that point I decided that I didn't really like the idea of dosing myself with chemicals for the rest of my natural, plus the cost was getting a bit silly.

I changed my diet substantially to a high protein / low carb diet (not Atkins), stopped the tablets and monitored the situation over some months. The result was a dramatic reduction in 'bad' cholesterol, together with a substantial reduction in body weight etc.

When I discussed the results with my Doc he agreed 100% that I did not need medication to control my cholesterol.

That situation continues to this day.

if you do have a 'bad' diet, then it really makes sense to adjust it- take more exercise, etc - to reduce cholesterol- well done powerdesal.

BUT some people have high cholesterol due to their genetic make-up, same for high blood pressure. A friend of mine died of a massive heart attack some time ago. He was the least possible candidate in my mind. Very tall, very slim - with an almost macrobiotic diet, loads of fruit and veg and plenty of exercise. His cholesterol was high and his GP wanted to put him on statins, But he refused, with tragic consequences.

Odile, your point is very well made.

I did not in fact have a 'bad' diet, or at least it was no worse than millions of other people. I /We did not eat 'junk' food, cooking at home is and was our hobby. We / I had a normal british diet which, to be fair, is probably too high in carbohydrates (it was in my case). As for exercise, prior to my high cholesterol results I had routinely worked out in a gym three times a week for years. I was an active scuba diver and the doctors report stated " This extremely fit 49 year old engineer etc etc"

Such fitness is not the only answer, it is of course a valuable part of the answer. The real part is the diet, for that read life style in respect of diet.

Thanks powerdesal - I agree. some people however are dealt 'bad' genetic cards when it comes to cholesterol and high blood pressure, almost irrespective of diet or exercise. just bad luck - and in their case statins can make a big difference. It can seriously reduce your risk of having a cardio-vascular accident - be it stroke or heart attack. Again, in my freind's case, I blame the Press for blowing up to huge proportions the side effects if statins- which made him decide not to take them, with such tragic results.

I managed to have a heart attack after being veggie for 30 years. They couldn't believe how low my cholesterol was. Mind you I hate excerise and am slightly larger than the average bear. We all gotta go sometime. Merry crimble.

because of the bad press - I refused statins for 2 years- although the Dr at the diabetes clinic (I was diagnosed with type 2 about 4 years ago + an underactive thyroid) really tried to convince me I should go on them. My GP spent a lot of time explaining why it is a good idea- but I wasn't convinced. I 'gave' in this Summer when I read serious scientific research saying that statins can prevent memory loss and possible stop the onset of Alzeihmers, which I am absolutely terrified about! (having seen my mother-in-law's and my favourite neighbour's absolutely awful decline and total loss of dignity) - that really convinced me. No side effects at all.

I have been on Statins for years (40/10) but I have never suscribed my vivid dreams to them. I sometimes have such good dreams I could use the plot for a novel.

I have no side effects and the same goes for my sons and my sister and children who are all on statins because of inherited cholestrol. The latest victim in our family is the 5 year old son of my niece in Switzerland and her doctor was interested if a Statin exists for children in America or England?  (please send PM as no advertising is allowed!)