Our household has the flu

Kitty

Further to washing hands  versus Gel - When I asked at the hospital "what had happened to the gel bottles " we were told that current thinking was dont use gel  but wash hands and Sing Happy Birthday through twice whilst doing it . We thought it more likely that because of the flu outbreak all the gel bottles had been nicked !!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our children went back to Maternelle yesterday and we have all been asked to bring in a pack of disposable cups for each child so they don't share cups in the clockrooms. They have also, finally, changed the yeuchy hand towel to paper towel dispensers and provided all the staff with hand gels, along with many extra precautions gainst the spread of flu.

I'm impressed they seem to being pro-active instead of 'lets just wait and see'.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Frenchie"]

If 3 cases in the school occur, the Prefet can ( and probably will) close the school.

[/quote]

The Quotidian (the children's newspaper) quoted that it was 3 cases in any class (i.e. not the whole school).

It also said that the school would be closed for 6 days and that a member of staff would have to be in school to answer calls from parents, pupils etc. 
Lessons will be available on the Internet, television and radio.

[/quote]

Yes, and I will be on duty, ( if I don't have the flu myself  [blink] )   I ve signed .

Wonder how many children are thinking... mmm... a few sneezes and we could have 6 days off.  My son has certainly explained to me the potential for lots of non-school days with absolute joy! [:D]  [Www]

Having said that I agree with all comments about the schools being pro-active, fingers crossed it will reduce a lot of the other nasty bugs too!

Are schools in the UK being automatically closed?  If so, what are the criteria for closure?

The French test of only 3 pupils seems a low number.  Last winter, there were frequently three ill children in the Grande Section class that my daughter was teaching in.

[quote user="Rose"]

Wonder how many children are thinking... mmm... a few sneezes and we could have 6 days off.    [Www]

[/quote]

Of course they all think so Rose !   But it has to be a case of   H1N1  declared by the doctor !

In my son's collĆØge, they have warned them that any " plaisantins " will be punished.

[quote user="Cathy"]Are schools in the UK being automatically closed?  If so, what are the criteria for closure?

[/quote]

No, schools aren't being closed automatically in the UK, though there could be individual closures if, for example, so many children and/or teachers were off sick in a particular school that it wasn't viable to keep it open.  Just the same as normal flu seasons.  Some special schools might close more pro-actively, if they had a large number of pupils with other health conditions that made them particularly vulnerable, but that is a special situation.

It will be interesting to see if there is a surge now the schools have gone back - history would suggest there will be.

Plans are in place to enable FREE vaccination to all who want it.

See this news report dated 01/09 (translation) for an outline of the vaccination plan.

See this news report (translation) for  information on who, when and how.

See this official site.

Contrary to some info floating around in the net, the vaccination is NOT compulsory and there are no plans (yet [;-)]) to quarantine individuals who opt not to be vaccinated [Www].

Translation=

Vendredi September 11, 2009

Influenza A: the first school closures

After the closure of classes, it is the turn of entire schools. College of Herault and two kindergartens in CĆ“te d'Or and Seine-et-Marne just been temporarily closed due to clusters of flu symptoms. Moreover, there are now seven new classrooms with school activities are to be suspended.

Among the 16 students in a college, Castries, showing flu symptoms, two cases of influenza A have been confirmed. The analysis on the other children are still ongoing, and "none of this complication. The prefect of the Herald has decided to close the facility, until Monday, September 21, "to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. For the 850 collegians invited to stay at home, setting up "device pedagogical continuity is assured.
In CĆ“te d'Prefecture that took the decision yesterday to close a nursery school for an indefinite period, following suspicion of 12 clusters of influenza A. As part of the same class, young children have flu symptoms "without complications". But no case of H1N1 has been confirmed. However, in Seine-et-Marne, close to a kindergarten in Torcy was announced following confirmation of the presence of influenza virus A.

In Paris, Lille, Parthenay (Deux-Sevres), Chartres and Gironde are a total of seven classes were also closed yesterday following a suspected cluster of cases of influenza. The activities of these classes are suspended in an average week. Only three cases of H1N1 have been identified to date for the college of Lille. Furthermore, no complications were observed among students involved, who were followed home by their physician

That is an understatement!

Still it did the French tourist industry no end of good during les vacances, funny how it was raging out of control during July and August in every European country but France (if you believe the media) but waited patiently for la rentrƩe in France before multiplying [;-)]

• 2 weeks later...