Top up insurance questions

Pommier

We've just received insurance renewal letters from Groupama and my husbands top-up policy has gone up to just under 500 euros a year. This is despite him having 100% cover on his main health problem. He is 56 by the way.

I asked Groupama recently if they do a hospital only policy, but they said they don't.

I'm sure someone on this forum posted a while ago that they had hospital only cover which I seem to recall was about 25 euros a month for a couple.

Have I imagined it or can anyone suggest where I might get such cover?

[quote user="Pommier"]I'm sure someone on this forum posted a while ago that they had hospital only cover which I seem to recall was about 25 euros a month for a couple.[/quote]

Cannot do quite that cheap but I had 'Hospitalisation' cover with AGF - now called Allianz - for a couple of years at 19€ and a few cents a month. OH was with Groupama 100% cover as he has regular monthly meds. AGF for me covered all blood tests, X-rays, normal stays in Hospital, but not the over-and-above-CPAM-cost of Doctor appointments or home visits nor medicines. Have now changed - this November - in favour of normal 100% top-up cover with Groupama as I need some new specs !

We are both 59 so OH and I do not have an E121 - or any other E form either. We pay - according to our income - into CPAM via URSSAF.

Thanks for the information. We're also paying URSSAF 8% for our cover

from CPAM, so it's just a top up we're after. I thought the renewal

from Groupama was a  bit steep as most things are covered by CPAM as

husband has ALD.

I tried an on line quote from Allianz, but it wouldn't give me one

(probably get lots of emails/calls as I also tried Assurland!)

[quote user="Pommier"]I thought the renewal

from Groupama was a  bit steep as most things are covered by CPAM as

husband has ALD.[/quote]

Have you tried Sunday Driver's idea of asking for a discount as your OH has 100% ALD cover. It seemed to work for him as I believe he got 15% discount. See http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1911922/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="Pommier"]I tried an on line quote from Allianz, but it wouldn't give me one

(probably get lots of emails/calls as I also tried Assurland!)

[/quote] You really need to talk, in person, to a sympathetic AGF agent about this option as it is not AGF/Allianz 'policy' to push the cheaper option; although it is available, if you politely persist.

The idea that a Mutuelle would give a discount for the fact that one has an ALD is laughable.

My premiums went up 12% in the year my first ALD was accepted.

Of course there are the paperwork people, and those of us who live here and write from first-hand experience..

[quote user="NormanH"]The idea that a Mutuelle would give a discount for the fact that one has an ALD is laughable.
Of course there are the paperwork people, and those of us who live here and write from first-hand experience..
[/quote]

When I first took out my mutuelle with Groupama, I negotiated a 15% discount on the basis of my ALD. I live here and write from first hand experience.

How's that for a laugh......[8-)]

Try April but then, we haven't yet had our renewal notice so don't really know if there is going to be a hike in premiums or not.

Last year, I recommended April to someone on the Forum and they went with them because they did find them competitive.

As I say, that was last year, as for this year, I won't know till my renewal notice.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[quote user="NormanH"]The idea that a Mutuelle would give a discount for the fact that one has an ALD is laughable.

[/quote]

When I first took out my mutuelle with Groupama, I negotiated a 15% discount on the basis of my ALD. I live here and write from first hand experience.

[/quote]

Your experience is very short.

I estimate 4-7 years.

Mine is more than double, and my premiums continue to go up with 3 time as many  ALD as you have.

It really is very irresponsible to give advice on your limited experience.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your experience is very short.
I estimate 4-7 years.
Mine is more than double, and my premiums continue to go up with 3 time as many  ALD as you have.

It really is very irresponsible to give advice on your limited experience.

[/quote]

About as irresponsible as stating that obtaining a discount is laughable when you appear to have made no attempt to do so..........[8-)]

[/quote]

Why so rude, NormaH?

A+

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

I have a minimal top up insurance with the Credit Mutuel at monthly cost of 50€, for this the bank pays an average of just 2.5€-4.5€ per month, an annual average of 65€. This gives the bank a nice big profit, I have tried to cancel the contract but as our good friend S-D has pointed out to me, I signed the contract in house (the bank) so cannot break the contract until August.

Now I may have been handed a get out of jail card, as I have not received my new, one of the two 6 monthly attestations for the first part of this year and have had to pay for my own medication, albeit 2.5€. I am wondering if I could use this as a breach of contract. I must  point out that I do get 100% from CPAM.

Your good friend S-D has also pointed out to you that whilst you signed the contract agreeing to its terms, the bank were aware at the time of your 100% CPAM cover and that you would derive little benefit from purchasing their top-up policy.  However, they failed to point this out and went ahead and signed you up.  

When we last spoke, you were going to make an appointment with your branch to request cancellation of the contract on the basis that you were misinformed.