Vasectomy test

Mr Coeur de Lion

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Had the snip in my late 20's and I want to get tested to make sure I'm still happily a jaffa (ie seedless). Would going to my doctor be the first point of call, or is there somewhere else I need to go to "take the test"?[/quote]

You should have had a test and result after your snip, or did you have your snip done in the backstreet's of Cairo or somewhere equally salubrious? [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Had the snip in my late 20's and I want to get tested to make sure I'm still happily a jaffa (ie seedless). Would going to my doctor be the first point of call, or is there somewhere else I need to go to "take the test"?[/quote]

You should have had a test and result after your snip, or did you have your snip done in the backstreet's of Cairo or somewhere equally salubrious? [:D]

[/quote]

Dubious? Yes in the UK, but I moved to Australia before the 6 weeks was up for the test and never got round to it.

It's been ok for 11 years assuming my ex was still fertile, but I just need to make sure I am infertile for my new relationship.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Would going to my doctor be the first point of call, or is there somewhere else I need to go to "take the test"?[/quote]

After the helpful suggestions from Drs 'Dog' & 'Kent' [:-))], my perhaps more helpful offering might be the obvious one.  See your GP.  He / she will point you towards a known & reputable clinic that can assist.

Makes sense. In this situation, its not a Yellow Pages job, is it?

lol not at all.

However, my new girlfriend is a labour nurse who has seen many accidents regarding this, and I hadn't told her I hadn't had the test. Just didn't really think about it after 11 years since the snip and it slipped out in conversation (that I hadn't had the test), and of course she was very worried.

Then she was late and started worrying big time.

I knew I was fine, but now I think I ought to get the test done just to be sure to be sure. Put her mind totally at ease. Mine too I guess, there's no way I want one of those small helpless objects that constantly make a noise at one and and a bad smell at the other! :)

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]

Makes sense. In this situation, its not a Yellow Pages job, is it?

[/quote]

no, more like a kleenex one [6]

Oh c'mon, you were all thinking it !

Actually much respect to M. Lion for having the snip in the first place, not an easy decision and it is still an almost Taboo subject even now.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/andrology/documents/Postvasectomytesting.pdf

I am intrigued by the bit which says that they may not throw the semen samples away after testing but send them to a lab where they are used to make PSA.

Incidentally, the RCOG state that the failure rate for vasectomy is about 1 in 2000. Of course, you could be the 2000th ....

Post-vasectomy testing used to be part of my job [blink]. In our lab it was simply a matter of observing a few drops with a microscope, however protocols often vary slightly from one lab to the next. Every year we would receive a few urine specimens, because the patient had been told to provide a 'sample'......[8-)]

I definitely recommend asking your medecin traitant for guidance on who can help you.

"Chapeau" to you for doing something about it, because we did have one or two cases (over 20 years) where the vasa had rejoined several years after the op. [:-))]

FairyNuff

Mr Couer de Lion wrote:  "there's there's no way I want one of those small helpless objects that constantly make a noise at one and and a bad smell at the other!"

Listen mate, their not too bad, the first 28 years are the worst; and the smell does go away although it returns for a while in the teenage years. But one piece of advice to anybody contemplating producing one, make sure you never; never lend them money, do it once and they've got you hooked for life. Having said that, I love mine to bits and the joy of being a Granddad? Well there's not another emotion like it in the world.  [:D]

In the UK, men are much more prepared to have the 'snip' - usually after having a couple of kids- but like you Richard on 'principle too'. So British Men 1, French men zero points. Attitudes to sterilization, both male and female, in France, are still stuck in the middle-ages- for the medics too.

Nice to know 'affairs of the heart' are progressing well Richard!

Good luck my quack is a laugh a minute and always excuses himself for a fag break and then asks for advice on his new girlfriends. But you can phone him at any time and he''ll answer the phone and usually see you same day even within an hour.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="FairyNuff"]

Post-vasectomy testing used to be part of my job [blink].[/quote]

You couldn't do a one off inspection then ;)

I actually heard today that the French in general are very much opposed to vasectomies. Maybe it's the catholics in them?
[/quote]

Sorry I can't, they kept the microscope!

FairyNuff  [:)]