eye test

johnycarper

If you buy glasses with your prescription on the net, or from an optician in France - do make sure that you get tested for Glaucoma every couple of years if over 50. This is never done by an optician in France, and has to be done by an ophtamologue, although it is routine with UK tests. Glaucoma is easily treated with drops if caught early, but irreversible if not - so just not worth the risk.

• 3 weeks later...
I have recently bought 2 pairs of glasses from Spex4less. Both on special offer, one a pair of transitions sunglasses.The whole process was very straightforward.Within days of receiving my progressif, semi rimlesss, I was hit over the head by a large branch of the tree, and the glasses were knocked off. I was in a daze, and eventually realised I had dropped them retraced my steps but trod on them in the undergrowth, They were twisted, the glass out etc .explained the situation to the company I then returned the glasses,thinking a new frame would be needed. Returned to me quickly,like new, no charge even for the postage. Will certainly be using again.

Just one thing about buying on the internet.

You need to have an eye-test first. As everyone knows.

Some of the big opticians in the UK will do the test and give you the prescription, but will not measure the distance between your pupils for you. Opticians call it the "Pupillary distance" or PD. If you ask why not, they might let you read (but not take away a copy of) a laminated A4 sheet explaining why they are not legally obliged to do so - from what I recall it said that this was part of the dispensing procedure rather than anything specifically relating to your eyesight.

If you don't have this measurement professionally done, you have two options. You can measure it yourself (or ask a friend) which isn't particularly easy - though it can be done - or you can allow the internet company to assume your eyes are an average distance apart.

If you have a bit of time in the UK, I'd suggest that before you part with any money for an eye test, you ask whether they'll let you have a note of your PD. If they say no, go elsewhere.

I, too, have bought from specs4less but I was not happy with my glasses.  Yes, I know, you could return them but that wouldn't have done me any good.

My face is small and, although I chose a pair especially for a small face, they still weren't small enough.  So, as they only had a choice of 2 pairs for people with small faces and I chose the smaller pair, I now guess that possibly no internet "average" sort of frames will be suitable for me [:(]

I'm sure for most people, these companies would be fine.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I, too, have bought from specs4less but I was not happy with my glasses.  Yes, I know, you could return them but that wouldn't have done me any good.

My face is small and, although I chose a pair especially for a small face, they still weren't small enough.  So, as they only had a choice of 2 pairs for people with small faces and I chose the smaller pair, I now guess that possibly no internet "average" sort of frames will be suitable for me [:(]

I'm sure for most people, these companies would be fine.

[/quote]

I use glasses2you and they provide accurate measurements of the frames they provide. So if you have a pair you like you just need to meaure them and find a pair that matches. There are instructions on how to do this on their website. I recently liked the look of a pair on special offer which didn't have all the measurements listed, and after sending an email asking for this, I received a reply within an hour.

• 9 months later...

The price of the eye tests ranges from £20 - £30.

I made an eye test at Leightons Opticians, I think it was

around £30. The test was really professional. They also give you a

comprehensive advice on everything related to eye care. In addition, the

opticians offer a wide range of glasses at very competitive prices.

Here is a link of good and affordable opticians: http://www.leightonsopticians.com/eye-tests.aspx

On the point that Swissie made, I totally agree, you certainly don’t get an eye test as such at a French opticians, the best possible place to go for a thorough eye test has to be your local hospital.  Especially for those like myself being over the age of 50.

I was very lucky as both my Cataracts were detected early enough and the operations were done the same week-end. I am now required to have a six monthly check up as a result. As was also stated, Glaucoma is another terrible disease that has a harmful effect if not checked on a regular basis. So it is very important to have a regular check up.

I agree with Mr Wiggy.

I have had eye tests/exams in Fr hospitals. The UK exam was far more superior and comprehensive in my opinion and that was at Vision Express, not a hospital. I also found SpecSavers very good and cheaper

Now there's a name I didn't expect to see.... I worked for Leightons 26 years ago! So... although my knowledge is 26 years out of date, here is my 2 penneth.

The Pupillary Distance is (was) indeed something that is (was) done in conjunction with the fitting of frames rather than the testing of the vision and health check on the eyes, so quite simply, it is not part of the service that you pay for with the eye test.

That being said it is not the only measurement that you need to think of. In most cases, the "optical centre" of the lens (i.e the centre of a perfectly round, raw, lens) ought to be right bang in front of your pupil when you are looking straight ahead with your head in its normal position, that means you also need to know the vertical position as well as the PD (horizontal). With simple, low power lenses these measurements are not crucial, but, it is important with higher powers, this is because a badly positioned lens can give the effect of looking through a prism, which makes the muscles that turn your eyes work too hard....

You should also consider the angle that the frame sits on your face, I can't remember the maths, but if you are looking through a lens at an angle, it's effect is not as per the prescription... again, low power... who cares? High power... ermm, problems in the offing.

Then of course, you need to remember that eyes turn in and down when you look at close work, so reading lenses do need to be in a different position from distance....

What I am saying is.... online fellahs are OK with simple stuff, but don't be surprised if you get problems if your prescription is complex or on the high side.

For what is is worth:

A dispensing optician is not allowed to prescribe new lenses, but they can go through the motions to verify a prescription. Their job is to make sure that the frame fits and that the lenses are in the right position.

An Optometrist used to be called an Ophthalmic Optician and is trained to test and to dispense. (Please note that there are 2 h's in Ophthalmic.... so it's OFthalmic and not not not OPthalmic)

Then there are Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners, (please note the 2 h's in..... Oh, I've done that) these are doctors who have done an extra spot of training or they might be consultants (who have done a lot of extra training) from the local hospital doing a spot of extra work.

I am sorry to disappoint you Audio, (Not Murphy by any chance?Sorry I couldn't resist it) but, the hospital that treated me was actually here in France and the treatment was top quality.

In both cases I had gone for a 6 monthly check up and 3 days later I’m having the operation, this was the same in both instances, had this been the UK I would have had to wait possibly months rather than days.

Mr Wiggy, where I live in England there has not been a long wait for any of my my friends and family who have needed cataracts sorting out and  have had little wait to see opthamologists.

I used to go to  opthalmalogues in France and every single one of them had waiting lists of months, apart from one who did a depassement d'honoraires extrodinaire and you never had to wait to see him, and he was not nice either. The only time we ever had a hospital visit was because of an eye problem. Could anyone 'just' go and see the hospital eye service, comme ça? Don't you need a referal letter from a doctor?

I believe that the time duration is down to the fact that you can only get your eye’s tested with a referral from your doctor.

If you go to a hospital and book an appointment then yes, you will need to wait for six months. The reason I assume is because the ophthalmologist’s are performing a succession the necessary operations for several hours in the early mornings, 06:00am and then dealing with patient waiting eye tests from around 09:00am. This is based purely on what I have experienced at my local hospital. I have to go every 6 months for a precautionary check up as I am at risk of further Cataracts.

As has been mentioned in an earlier thread, 2009 I think, thing are changing throughout the country which will ease the load of the Ophthalmologist / surgeon.

• 1 month later...
An eye examination is a battery of tests performed by an ophthalmologist, optometrist, or orthoptist assessing vision and ability to focus on and discern objects, as well as other tests and examinations pertaining to the eyes.

Health care professionals often recommend that all people should have

periodic and thorough eye examinations as part of routine primary care,

especially since many eye diseases are asymptomatic.

• 3 weeks later...

My puppy chewed up my reading glasses last Tuesday week (I also wear distance glasses all the time) and I was dreading what it would cost to replace them, although they were long overdue for replacing!

I had an eye test yesterday in Brive at an 'Ophtalmalogue'; I was very impressed with the test (including the puff of air for glaucoma) and it cost me 28€

I'm now going to order my glasses online from an American company recommeded by a friend, and with some good online reports. I was only going to get some more reading glasses for now, but the total cost of varifocals, including postage, 59$ - just under 41€ - I'm one happy bunny![:D] (and I've forgiven the dog.[;-)])

The only opthalmo we had that could take us so quickly had a depassement d'honoraires that were a lot. AND he was a horrible man too, so we prefered to wait to see our opthalmo and that could be months. Ofcourse as you point out it isn't always possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add I received my new specs 10 days after ordering them, and I'm very pleased with them - although having varifocals for the first time in my life is taking some getting used to! I also received a payment into my bank account from CPAM of 14.80€ which I presume is for the eye test; the paperwork always comes much later I find.