Cost of daily home visit by nurse

Suandpete

I have recently had an operation and am currently having a nurse to visit daily to give me an injection, twice a week she also takes blood for a blood test. I realise that with the exception of the franchise the cost should be reimbursed by CPAM/my mutuelle - but I was just wondering what the normal cost per visit is?

Thanks in advance.....

I had a course of visits last summer following a fall, and paid about that amount in the Gard. It was more on Sundays and 14th July, but not a huge amount more, which I found surprising.  That was for a visit to clean and dress the wound each time. I was presented with the itemised bill on the last visit, and paid by cheque. As I'm not resident in France, it was then an EHIC/insurance job.[:D]

Interesting how it seems to vary.  I spent ages trying to find a figure on the Ameli web site and gave up in the end.  I have a prescription for a month of visits so I guess if I don't get a bill at the end of the first week it is likely to be at the end of the month.  She swiped my Carte Vitale on her first visit in a portable terminal and hasn't asked for it since.

• 3 months later...

We're now in this situation of home visits by a nurse. 

We've had first visit - not been asked for carte vitale - should we have been ?    This is part of follow-up after hospital discharge.

Can anyone be kind enough to confirm that the cost of the visit, the injection and blood-tests - are at a 'tariff/reasonable' rate - and do NOT depend on the distance the nurse has to travel ?      Just curious as this nurse doesn't live within what I would call a fairly local driving distance - but a nurse living closer wasn't available when needed.

OH is panicking now - worried about being charged 'taxi' rate for distance driven to make the home visit !!  As if OH hasn't got enough to worry about !!!!

Sigh .....guidance - words of wisdom - much appreciated.

Chessie

1)Yes you should have been asked for your  'Carte Vitale'.

Find out if the nurse has a machine to process it, or whether you need  to send in the 'feuille de soins'

2) Where does your idea of a 'tariff/reasonable' rate  come from?

In 15 years in France I have never heard that phrase.

3) Why on earth would you expect to pay  a taxi fare?

I think you can assume that all this is paid for.

I had course of injections recently for 15 days after surgery plus wound dressing and blood testing, the only thing I paid for was the blood tests which came from the blood lab a week later. The nurse had one of those hand held jobs where she just put the carte vital in then checked my mutual paper and that was it.

I have just had a nasty bite or cyst - or some unidentified horrid object that was very inflamed anyway - cut open and cleaned out.

I now have to visit the nurse at our doctor's surgery every 48 hours for dressings/wick to be changed until it is deemed safe and can be left to close up.

Any idea what each charge is likely to be for visiting the nurse at her own little room?

I thought the initial treatment by my doctor was very reasonable (26.60) as it included spray anaesthetic, injected anaesthetic and use of scalpel!

Thanks for all replies.

Still feel 'in the dark'.   Fees seem to vary;  some can visit doctor - wish that was an option for us but one we weren't offered !  - can we suggest that ?

Moonraker - the link you gave - l-idel.fr - does not work.   But you refer to 'Prices for each act and kms to get to the patient' - which would seem to imply that there are going to be additional charges because of the greater distance this nurse has to travel, rather than nurse from our local town.

So maybe there is additional costs incurred- 'travelling expenses, wear and tear on car, cost of petrol/diesel'.

And Norman - how can I 'assume that all this is paid for' - this is France, and the French Health Service, and I don't think anything at all is paid for - until we've paid Euros up front, and then claim.

So there are going to be costs;  I just wanted guidance as to a rough average cost per visit - which seems to vary.  and whether there could be extra costs for the distance travelled.   And Moonraker's comment DOES seem to imply that there might be.

I'm not really any further forward.

Thank you all for taking the time to help - but OH is very worried about incurring unnecessary additional costs over and above everything we now have on our plate.

Thanks - Chessie

[quote user="chessie"]

We've had first visit - not been asked for carte vitale - should we have been ?    This is part of follow-up after hospital discharge.

[/quote]

For goodness sake, don't panic.

It's not hard: just ask the nurse when he / she next calls what the score is, i.e. does your CV / mutuelle cover everything?  It will.  District nurses cover for colleagues on their days off, so the one you saw might have had to come a bit further than the one on your doorstep.  Routine & quite normal no matter where you are.

But reassure yourself by asking him / her.  Probably won't bite.

Chessie/Sueandpete, my blood test/dressing change/injection visits cost just over 20€, all of which I get back either from the state or my top-up.  Lab test bill just came in at 8.64 - which I get back.

My nurse won't do any of the financial transactions until the prescription is fulfilled (in this case two weeks' of visits with dressing change every other day and blood tests twice a week.)

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone advise please - my wife has just come out of hospital - we are expecting a home visit from a nurse - when you mention prescription, does this mean I have to take the doctors note to a pharmacy before anyone gets to visit?

I think you need to ring the nurses yourself and arrange for them to visit. Or get someone to do it for you.

A neighbour just got home after having a baby and waited and waited for the midwife, then discovered she had to contact them first.

Look up Infirmières in your pages jaunes. They are usually independent from the doctors.

For the prescription,if fo medication, take this to the pharmacy. Unless you mean the prescription for the nurse to treat your wife.

That is probably what the OP meant.

When I had a minor operation recently, the doctor told me to have the wound dressed every 48 hours by the nurse.

He also gave me a prescription which I later discovered I had to have made up at the pharmacy and present to said nurse - she was not expected to provide dressings, antiseptics and so on.

Thanks for your advice - we collected the medical prescription OK, but do not know what to do with the other piece of paper - could it be a prescription for the nurses visits ? - it says nothing about phoning anyone.

Just been to the pharmacy and they have given me the telephone number to call -why couldn't anyone have told me this at the hospital?? This will now mean a gap of at least 3 days before the dressings get changed.

Thanks again for your help.

[quote user="Shippa"]Thanks for your advice - we collected the medical prescription OK, but do not know what to do with the other piece of paper - could it be a prescription for the nurses visits ? - it says nothing about phoning anyone.[/quote]Sounds very likely that it's for the nurse's visit.  I'm afraid it's pretty much assumed that you know you have to organise this yourself.

What does this other piece of paper actually say?  If you'd rather not put that on public forum, feel free to pm if you prefer.

Thanks Cooperlola - see my update above.

Your quote reminds me of the time a group of us went to Le Mans. camping close to the Mulsanne - one guy said he didn't want to share a tent with someone who snored!