Repayment of dentists fees when abroad

bubbles

We are French resident, have cartes vitales and European Health Insurance cards.

I have lost a girnormous filling and fear that pain is looming just around the corner.

At the moment we are in Tenerife and will be for the next couple of months.

The question is - can I reclaim the cost of a dentist's visit here? If so, what paperwork will I need from the dentist who treats me?

According to this:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx

"Dentists

Dental treatment is generally not available under the state system and the costs are not refundable"

dental work is not covered in Spain.  I realise it's an English site but the rules tend to be the same wherever the card is issued, ie EHIC/CEAM covers you as it would a national of the country  you're visiting and as they have to pay then so do you.  It looks like a travel insurance job to me.

I am pretty sure that French friends of mine have just paid up and been remboursed by assuarnce maladie afterwards for treatment recieved in the EU.

Vous avez réglé des frais médicaux sur place ?
Vous avez eu besoin de soins médicaux pendant votre séjour et vous avez dû les régler sur place car vous n'aviez pas votre CEAM, ou vous avez fait l'avance des frais médicaux et vous n'avez pas demandé leur remboursement sur place, ou vous avez fait appel à la médecine privée.
Pour chacune de ces situations, vous pourrez Ă©ventuellement Ăªtre remboursĂ© Ă  votre retour en France.
Pensez à conserver les factures acquittées et les justificatifs de paiement et adressez-les, accompagnés du formulaire « Soins reçus à l'étranger » (formulaire n° S3125a, disponible ci-dessous en téléchargement) à votre caisse d'Assurance Maladie.
Vous serez remboursĂ© sur la base des frais rĂ©els dans la limite des dĂ©penses engagĂ©es conformĂ©ment aux tarifs en vigueur de la sĂ©curitĂ© sociale française. Ă€ noter que vous pouvez choisir d'Ăªtre remboursĂ© selon la lĂ©gislation du pays de sĂ©jour en le signalant sur le formulaire n°S 3125a.

I also recall that one of them was pleased to get a 100% remboursement for one treatment, she had wisely (in this case) used the option on the last line.

good luck

That is the benefit of having an EHIC card issued by the French caisse d'assurance maladie, which was the case for most people until last year. Those of us who had to give up the card and apply for another from the UK (holders of what were E121's and E106's) now come under the UK rules which aren't as generous when it comes to reimbursement. Regards Hester.

[quote user="Hester"]That is the benefit of having an EHIC card issued by the French caisse d'assurance maladie, which was the case for most people until last year. Those of us who had to give up the card and apply for another from the UK (holders of what were E121's and E106's) now come under the UK rules which aren't as generous when it comes to reimbursement. Regards Hester.[/quote]

Fair, considering that those covered by the UK rules have contributed so much less than those covered by the French system.

I have been following these posts and have reviewed the link provided but I am still somewhat confused. I am so hoping someone can help me understand, although my concern is slightly different.

I am planning to visit and stay in our vacation home in France and hope to stay about 3 months (the longest I have ever stayed). If I have a medical emergency of any kind, must I have existing health insurance here in the U.S.? And should I also have the Unviersal Health Card from the website in addition to my U.S. insurance in order to receive reimbursement? If I do not have my own insurance in the U.S. will the universal health card help me with any costs? I am currently employed but will be taking leave from work for the visit and may no longer be covered under my employer's insurance. I am also not yet at retirement age so I do not collect social security. Thank you to anyone who can help.

It appears from Chancer's post that France gives more than the European standard to its CEAM holders.  I've had a look at the Europa website and it confirms what I posted earlier:

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=en

ie that the standard for reimbursement is that of a national of the country you are visiting and not the one which issues the card.  Anyway, Bubbles, keep the bills and see what gives when you get home.  It's worth a try.

As I understand it the EHIC entitles you to the same level of treatment/reimbursement as a resident of the country in which you receive the treatment in which case it should make no difference who your EHIC issuer is. Any difference you may be able to claim back through the UK but only up to the level you would have received there which ain't much for dentistry if I recall.

I don't know if existing French EHIC's are valid until they expire (only one year as opposed to 5 from UK so perhaps not such an advantage over a UK one [;-)]) but as of I think May 1st last year, for those in the health system by virtue of an E form, their EHIC is now provided by UK and not France as had previously been the case.

I agree with what you say, AnO, and so do the British and European sites.  However, if you look at what Chance posted:

Vous avez réglé des frais médicaux sur place ?
Vous avez eu besoin de soins médicaux pendant votre séjour et vous avez dû les régler sur place car vous n'aviez pas votre CEAM, ou vous avez fait l'avance des frais médicaux et vous n'avez pas demandé leur remboursement sur place, ou vous avez fait appel à la médecine privée.
Pour chacune de ces situations, vous pourrez Ă©ventuellement Ăªtre remboursĂ© Ă  votre retour en France.
Pensez à conserver les factures acquittées et les justificatifs de paiement et adressez-les, accompagnés du formulaire « Soins reçus à l'étranger » (formulaire n° S3125a, disponible ci-dessous en téléchargement) à votre caisse d'Assurance Maladie.
Vous serez remboursĂ© sur la base des frais rĂ©els dans la limite des dĂ©penses engagĂ©es conformĂ©ment aux tarifs en vigueur de la sĂ©curitĂ© sociale française. Ă€ noter que vous pouvez choisir d'Ăªtre remboursĂ© selon la lĂ©gislation du pays de sĂ©jour en le signalant sur le formulaire n°S 3125a.

Then there certainly does appear to be an anomoly here.  Thus I still think that Bubbles (who is a la charge of the French system, not the UK one) should give this a try - should it be necessary, of course - in the absence of travel insurance, because if it's possible to get at least the standard French state contributions back, then why not?  It does seem odd, but if it's available, I for one would take advantage.  We pay, so we should get it back if we can.  Bubbles's CPAM can only refuse.

And in most cases the treatment is covered 100% if it is noted as emergency treatment, and of course even a sniffle or a jelly botty is a full scale emergency to a French person on holiday [:D]

When I was travelling I would seek out the French to try and talk with, sadly most of them had far better English than my French which also meant I couldnt just listen out for them, instead I would look for those whose medicine bag was larger than their luggage!

I also have a suspicion that they are covered worldwide by the CPAM, I know there was a big scam uncovered far too late by IIRC the Bordeaux CPAM who after having paid out millions of Euros to fraudulent claimants for having allegedly recieved malaria treatment in one medical centre in Les isles Comores alone found that it didnt even exist.

Still hanging on here. No pain so I'm putting off the dentist visit. If I do summon up the courage I'll let you all know how I get on.

It's just that I'm on 100% health cover on my Carte Vitale and that (incredibly) includes dental treatment in France so it makes quite a difference, especially as I don't have travel health insurance.