Any dentists out there ? Help please

Hereford

Hello

Problem: old lady with dementia puts denture in toilet bowl and flushes (don't ask..). Teeth rescued from fosse septique (a miracle)

Question:  Is "steradent" type product enough to thoroughly clean before she puts them back in !!   Or should they go to her dentist to sterilise.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Er, is she OK?? I've only just received this and I'm sorry to have to tell you that Chlorhexidine gel/mousse will not be sufficient.

Dentures are made from heat cured acrylic resin but by their nature are porous. Any topical agent is therefore very unlikely to kill the nasty stuff in fosses like e coli etc.

They should have been mechanically disinfected and then put through the dentist's autoclave.

If she is still OK , I think its safe to assume she still has a good immune system and I post all this for anyone else who has a similar problem. What really intrigues me is how they got them out of the fosse....

Yes she is fine thank you !  We did take advice in the pharmacy and were told that Chlorhexedrine was right (in fact the bottle had two different chemicals in it). If, God forbid, she does it again we will suggest they are taken to her dentist but he is 30 km away.

Fosse needed to be emptied anyway. Final checking that pipe from house was clear - it wasn't.. So man shot water from hose up towards the house and teeth floated out. No-one more surprised than the fosse man !!

All is well that ends well.

H.

• 2 weeks later...
I´m a bit late, having soaked it in chlorhexadine for several hours, try not to worry and forget where they have been, I would not have put a denture through my autoclave , unless the patient signed a disclaimer if it did not survive.

Even heat-cured acrylic? Any non-vulcanite denture should survive an autoclave.

I agree about the chlorhexidine - it should kill the pathogens and leave a nice life-like brown coating (which will, of course, brush off).