I went to see Pam

crossy67

We went to register with CPAM a few weeks ago.  We left them with all the documents needed to get our carte vitale, apparently not.

We received a letter off them asking us for a copy of our birth certificates showing our parents identity.  Our birth certificates don't mention parents anywhere (we weren't born, we were created).  Does any one else's birth certificates show this info?  It's a bit strange that neither of ours do.   If any one has a certificate that shows the needed info where can I get one of my own with my info on, not yours[:)]

Thanks for the replies folks.

We called the people in the UK that deals with these things and have ordered two new full certs.  The confusing thing was the bit there they say on the web site that as of 1-4-1969 birth certificates will only be the short version, it doesn't make it clear we could still get the full one on application.

Phew, not bad for our 1st encounter of French bureaucracy.

Both sets of parents will have had full certificates when they registered you. Strange that both of you only had short ones. It was just my husband with the shorter version chez nous. Easy enough to get a new long one though.

My husband has two, one if for the borough of Eton and Windsor and the other for Taplow/Beaconsfield. No guesses which one he pulls out when it is called for. All of us only have short certs and in 21 years of France have never been asked for anything different.When a translation was called for, the local mairie just stamped a photocopy and wrote conforme on it and it was accepted every time.

"the local mairie just stamped a photocopy and wrote conforme on it and it was accepted every time."

Shows the difference between Mairies!

Mine refused to stamp copies because they were in 'langue étrangère'.

I pointed out that I wasn't asking for confirmation of the validity of the document, just that they certified that it was a 'copie conforme' but they wouldn't budge...

[quote user="Val_2"]My husband has two, one if for the borough of Eton and Windsor and the other for Taplow/Beaconsfield. No guesses which one he pulls out when it is called for. All of us only have short certs and in 21 years of France have never been asked for anything different.When a translation was called for, the local mairie just stamped a photocopy and wrote conforme on it and it was accepted every time.[/quote]

LOL When I got married and phoned up for my 'long copy' (and found out why I had a short one !) the registrar told me I couldn't have been born in Maidenhead - Ahem !!!

Was your OH born 'up Flaccky' Val ? Or Taplow way......

My sister was born at the Canadian Red Cross and years later some one told her she could have applied for a Canadian passport .....somehow I doubt that but it was an interesting thought.

Sorry - thread drift !!![:$]

He was born at the Canadian Red Cross Hospital at Taplow which came under Beaconsfield where his parents lived but the registration district was also the borough of Windsor and Eton so he has two with a week between the dates.

We had to have long ones and we had to have them translated. Very expensive yes, but we did it, both birth certificates and the wedding certificate.

Noticed recently on the servicepublic.fr web site that it says to french people that if their originals are not acceptable in another country they should get them translated. It never seems unreasonable to me, another country wanting an offical translation of official documents that are in another language.

An official mairie stamp carries a lot of clout in France and as with all bureaucrats,you MUST insist on everything or they will dig their heels in. I have to renew our Carte de séjour next week and we have the right to have the titre renewed regardless of what some fonctionnaire says at the prefecture and I shall not be put off, besides it is apart from our french driving licences, the only ID we carry or have. Passports expired some years ago and I refuse to pay extortionate prices to have it renewed,don't need it anyway.

But as foreigners in France don't we 'need' full passports? I believed that that was one thing that we had to have.

In fact, re renewing a Titre de Sejour, I thought that that was one of the things we had to show when we reapplied, un passeport en cours de validité. How can they issue a new card if they don't have everything they need?

I actually do not understand this laisser faire attitude in Brittany, really I don't. In France everyone has a Livret de Famille and everything is indicated in it, all the family names going back a generation or two. So why would a Mairie accept a half axxxed birth certificate and then tampon a copy of it as if it was a proper document in France when it isn't.

I must say that there are many things in France with regards to paperwork that drive me potty, but 'I' moved there and they have their way of doing things which are the law of the land, so how can some regions be so lapse, because that is exactly what they are being.

Also, whilst I was still in France I was told that the Maries no longer did certified copies of anything. Has this changed? http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1412.xhtml And maybe that had something to do with my Mairie not doing them anymore.

I don't think a Carte de Séjour is officially ID  as opposed to an National Identity card, and nor is a French Driving licence. I don't think it would be accepted on Ryanair for example , but I am open to correction on these points.

It is very useful however as it has your address on it, unlike a British Passport

In business we are always asked for our Carte de Séjour,NEVER british passports. Two loans taken out recently only wanted the carte as ID. You cannot travel on the CdeS but it is very important to us. As for passport renewal, nearly €200 a go is something we just cannot afford to do when there are two as RSI take all our money.

Well, not for the Caisse Maladie, but would you believe it, OH was asked to send identification things both from the UK pension service and from one of his private pension provider.

They said that as he lived abroad, would he mind providing proof of identity.  We think that it wasn't so much his identity as proof that he was still alive!

Mais oui, he had his 80th birthday in May and I think it must be to check that I haven't done him in and am collecting his pensions without notifying his death.

And you know how they give you a list of people who are acceptable to countersign proof of being alive (ok, proof of identity if you will).

British Consul, Notary, Solicitor and so on but it also said police officer.  So, off we went to the gendarmerie.  Granted I had to explain what it was all about and I also had to translate the form from English into French for them.  But, you could have struck me down with a feather,  the young policewoman consulted her superior and came back with the form duly completed and the official gendarmerie stamp.

Sorted!  As Victor Meldrew might have said "I don't believe it!"

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I once asked which was more acceptable my own genuine signature or the rubber tampon thingy.

I was told the tampon had more clout![:D]

[/quote]

Not so long ago, I seriously thought about having a tampon made up with something like 'Gardian du Gard' around the edge and an image of something official-looking in the middle. All it then needed was an indecipherable scrawl over the top of the impression and .......... Voila!!!   

That is normal S17, proof of life. We had to do one for the french pension service, the Job Centre in the UK did it for us. The french pension people wanted the Maire in the  UK to do it as that is who usually does it in France, so next time go there.[:)]

Mais, non, id, they have a very limited list of acceptable persons with the warning that if you use other than a person from the list, they will send the form back to you.

About a year or so ago, the bank wanted OH to send in identification and, again, a very short list of acceptable persons.  But, fortunately, I came on the Forum for advice and people say to ignore the letter completely.  Which we did and we heard nothing further....

[quote user="pachapapa"]

In argentina a tampon with my signature on was often used together with signing for important documents.[/quote]

Argentina[;-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]I once asked which was more acceptable my own genuine signature or the rubber tampon thingy.

I was told the tampon had more clout![:D][/quote]

But in the case of aspiring film stars, the future value of an autograph obtained by tampon is worthless!

But, "Que se yo!"