Be aware ! Wash hands more

Frederick

Every year France seems to get this gastro virus much worse than most other countries and in part I am convinced it is due to poor ready to eat food handling hygene standards. One of the worst offenders are Boulangeries where often the counter staff handle with bare hands the money and unwrapped ready to eat food food such as bread and pastries. My local boulangerie has introduced tongs to handle the pastries, but are not always used.

By comparison in the UK you will notice that as legally required a separate employee is put on the till and any staff handling unwrapped ready to eat food are prohibited from taking money from the customers, as that is how many germs are spread. ( A forensic examination of bank notes in several countries to identify drug abuse has shown a high level of faecel contamination!)

[quote user="Sprogster"]

Every year France seems to get this gastro virus much worse than most other countries and in part I am convinced it is due to poor ready to eat food handling hygene standards. One of the worst offenders are Boulangeries where often the counter staff handle with bare hands the money and unwrapped ready to eat food food such as bread and pastries. My local boulangerie has introduced tongs to handle the pastries, but are not always used.

By comparison in the UK you will notice that as legally required a separate employee is put on the till and any staff handling unwrapped ready to eat food are prohibited from taking money from the customers, as that is how many germs are spread. ( A forensic examination of bank notes in several countries to identify drug abuse has shown a high level of faecel contamination!)

[/quote]

It's true then, what they say, where there's muck, there's brass?

I wish this subject hasn't come up now.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the énoisage....yes, you heard right, that's what it's called, I just checked with the neighbour today.

You sit for 2 hours in the Foyer Rurale, cracking walnuts, then you get to eat a meal (PREPARED ON THE PREMISES) and then you watch the nuts being pressed into oil and then you get to buy the oil!

Now I'm worried about eating the meal![:-))] 

Since I was in hospital I use those solutions 'hydro alcoolique' after using the loo, and before eating. I also have a pocket sized one by the keyboard, as that is a major source of contamination that many people forget about.

Assanis do a nice one with aloe vera in it..

http://www.parapharmacie-en-ligne.com/1773-assanis-pocket.html

That has lasted quite a while with regular use...

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger has always been my motto. Although someone quite rightly did pointed out that I should try telling that to a stroke victim, but I think that you know where I am coming from.

If all this obsession with hygiene really was absolutely essential then its inconcievable that our forefathers survived and multiplied.

I agree with you, and there is evidence (I believe) that children brought up amidst the filth and sh*t of a farmyard develop fewer allergies, since their immune systems are naturally strong to cope with all that is around them

On the other hand having clean hands to make my sandwich with  after I have been typing on a grubby keyboard makes sense, and after seeing the routine in the Hospital I bought the solution, which I use at discretion.

Absolutely Norman, especially as you are recovering from illness/surgery, I agree completely with taking all precautions when someone is at  a higher risk of coping with infection, the elderly, babies, young children, pregnant mothers etc but outside of those times I am convinced that we need to build up our own natural defences not destroy them.

I am with Norman on this one . Although also a bit brainwashed by coming into contact with so many attending hospital and going onto wards and I  am using the Gel every time every ward  . It really does work and has resulted in so many hospital infections falling ,   I also whipe my car steering wheel with  Detol . The hospital I go into three days a week now has six wards with Winter  Norovirus  .Nasty if you are elderly  Visitors have been asked not to come . Many of them do not bother to use the Gel dispensers on the walls to clean their  hands and  they just keep bringing it in . . 

[quote user="Chancer"]

If all this obsession with hygiene really was absolutely essential then its inconcievable that our forefathers survived and multiplied.

[/quote]

Agreed.  We'd be much better off if we still had typhoid, diphtheria, cholera, TB, polio, leprosy and all the other transferable diseases we miss out on.

Anyway, it's not MY hygiene that I'm worried about.  It's that of others who prepare my meals, serve me my food, etc.

Maybe I can just crack the walnuts, pass on the meal and make the excuse of having to come home to see to my dog.

I try to remember to use those gel dispensers whenever I'm at hospital or my GP surgery, but tend to rely on handwashing otherwise. I think Norman is right about keyboards being very germy; I remember hearing that they tend to be worse than around WCs, as they are cleaned much less often - especially in offices etc. ATMs are said to be rather filthy too, as they rarely get cleaned.

My brother in law did a degree in food science and it always surprised me that he never washed his hands after using the WC or many other times if it comes to that. He also thought it odd that I would wash fruit and veg I'd bought, as he seemed to think it would all be clean.

On a similar theme, I heard a discussion a few days ago on R4 about what happens to spray when toilet lids are left up when flushing. I can't remember how far the spray was found to travel, but it was a long way and sounded awful. Not only 'ordinary' germs, but C. Difficile was also spread through leaving seats up. I've found a link; yes, it's the Daily Mail, but that can't be helped - and it's the same chief microbiology chap from Leeds talking:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2081680/How-leaving-toilet-lid-flushing-aid-spread-winter-vomiting-bug.html

He added that their research also had wider implications, telling the Mail Online: 'It would be prudent if there is a lid to put it down after flushing.

Put the lid down after flushing! well I am no research professor but that is like closing the gate after the horse has left the stable [blink]

From the last time the subject was discussed I actually carried said test. Wipe the underside of the seat dry, close the lid and flush. Lift the lid and inspect for droplets of moisture 1 or 2 only. I then repeated the test using a 4inch strip of cardboard as a spacer this time using blotting paper and food dye. nothing NADA zilch. It would depend on the toilet of course I Was using a basic wash down pan (low level flush)

I didn't do the cling film test but then again I don't wrap my sandwiches in the loo [:)]

Clair posted about this putting the lid down stuff quite recently and I have been impressing on OH that he MUST close the lid before flushing.

Me, I ALWAYS close the lid before flushing because it's bad feng shui not to, isn't it?[:P] ROFL

Apparently , if you leave the loo open, you'll be allowing all your wealth to er.....shoot down the pan.[;-)]

[quote user="Théière"]

From the last time the subject was discussed I actually carried said test. Wipe the underside of the seat dry, close the lid and flush. Lift the lid and inspect for droplets of moisture 1 or 2 only. I then repeated the test using a 4inch strip of cardboard as a spacer this time using blotting paper and food dye. nothing NADA zilch. It would depend on the toilet of course I Was using a basic wash down pan (low level flush)

I didn't do the cling film test but then again I don't wrap my sandwiches in the loo [:)]

[/quote]

Did you not sample surfaces at an increasing radius from the bowl then culture the results under standardised microbiological conditions to assess for aerosol dispersion of pathogens that would be invisible to the naked eye?  

[quote user="Alex H"][quote user="Frederick"]  I also whipe my car steering wheel with  Detol .

[/quote]

If you're not doing to everthing you touch, then, I would suggest, the effect is minimal?

[/quote]

I  have patients  sometimes throwing  up into bowls in my car ...I dont take any chances...  I wipe down everything