French healthcare questions

Mrs B

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are caught between a rock and a hard place.  Private insurance to the standard required by the law is impossible given the medical history.  Against that, even a few hours work and a tiny French pension history could cost you dearly for the rest of your life (the social charges on pension income for those of us "a la charge" of the French system are massive now that the entire UK pension is taken into account so I do sympatise!)

Before everybody shoots me down in flames and tells me you don't qualify, I still think, as I have advised another poster on another thread with similar issues, that you should apply for CMU-B cover under the "accident de vie" provisions.  They can only turn you down and you will have lost nothing but a bit of time and effort.  The new EU regs are very fuzzy and the re-written French statutes open to interpretation.  A contact of mine in the insurance industry has informed me that a number of people who have been refused full private cover and who arrived here since the cut-off date, have been successful since the chages last year so, imho, it's worth a go, whatever the outcome.  That way, once you reach UK state retirement age, you can both go back to being paid for by the UK.

This has been a long thread and half forgotten, so I think it worth pointing out that as often in France different places seem to interpret things differently.

EmilyA and I have very similar pension histories, yet her French office has accepted a S1 whereas mine hasn't.

I believe (unfortunately for me) that mine is right for the reasons I have already explained, but other offices may interpret it as has Emily's. We don't disagree, we just have different experiences.

It does  make a difference to what I pay.

On a modest combined pension of say 10,000€ I would pay nearly 700€ and someone on a S1 nothing, and I imagine  most people have a higher income than that.

Exactly so Norman.  Be it CMU-B or whether or not you can go onto a retirement S1 having worked in France, it all comes down to the way in which the statutes are interpreted at local level so don't give up on any avenues until they have been finally and formally closed to you, would be my advice.

Thanks all, for the advice and info. Healthwise, we do need to get away from the damp & cold Brit climate as soon as we can for MrB's health, we will need to rethink this through, hopefully we'll come to the right decision

Thank you again  

Mrs B, if one of your prime motivators is to get away from the damp & cold Brit climate for your husband's health, choose your location in France carefully, as  most of France has weather that is not disimilar and in many areas can be much colder and or wetter in winter than many areas of the UK, because the further inland you go the more you lose the protection of the gulf stream. Also just like the UK, France has had a very unsettled weather pattern the last couple of years, so the weather seems to be on the change.

The main reason I am on the Med is that any further north than Lyon and the weather is not on average any better than my home in the C.I. If France has a fault it is too far north and therefore I would strongly recommend you take a couple of trips to France in the depths of winter first, before you commit to the move.

There are several members of this forum who live in France but upsticks every winter to go to southern Spain and many French retirees go to Morocco for the coldest months.

And going back to what NormanH said, we will be in the reverse situation of a UK pension kicking in and fewer years working in the UK and them taking up UK health care. Currently the french issue us with S1(E121's). So yes, NormanH looks like that is how it works and will work against people who end up with small french pensions who remain in France.

• 3 months later...

poppy, that is not an easy question really. Any trimestres that you earned in other EU countries will also count. Also if you have three children or more.

There will be a CNAV/Assurance retraite clerk in your area, maybe at the Mairie or Centre Sociale on a pretty regular basis and you can make an appointment to go and see them and discuss your particular circumstances. Or simply email them, there should be a link on this site. https://www.lassuranceretraite.fr/

Thanks Idun. The situation is clear now I've realised that the years I've worked in the UK will count towards my total number of trimestres, although the total won't be anywhere near enough for a full pension. Tant pis! Btw it's the RSI that handles my demande de retraite because we have an Entreprise Individuelle i.e. non-salarié.

Coquelicot (formerly poppy!)

Heck, there was even someone called Banana here a while ago. It worried the whole Hand badly for quite a while, the thought that there were copiers or that one had got lost, escaped, even been turned into a ............ difficult to say ..........banana split.  Just imagine, a lovely banana being slowly peeled then cut in half and smothered with cool, fresh cream and then slowly being inserted into the mouth as the cream is licked off and then slowly being chewed and sliding down the throat.  Hmmmmmm!

If you won't have enough trimestres, then it will radically affect your french pension. It is a very very heavy handed reduction if there are not enough total trimestres.

You could perhaps make up your UK one to a full pension? as you'll need 30 years of payments, perhaps including times when you were raising children? (don't need to know your circumstances, just something to mention). Perhaps you could make up some of your arrears, and I know that if someone is working in France, then the voluntary payments can be reduced, or at least when we were doing it, that is how it used to work. Trouble is ofcourse that they won't be paying out until you are 66 if you were born after 1953. Or maybe later.

Why don't you ring the overseas pensions people in Newcastle about this. AND get in touch with the RSI pension people and discuss it all.