health insurance

does anyone know what kind of health insurance qualifies for a long term visa to france? i need to decide what to get and the consulate website says that travel insurance doesn't count, but i'm not sure if this means (obviously) the insurance that only covers trip cancellations, lost luggage, etc. or if international travel medical insurance is also not enough.

• 3 weeks later...
I also would like to have some info on health insurance at least till I can apply for the LMDE insurance as a student since I'm studying in France for a year. The kind of health insurance that can cover say consultation with a General Practitioner in a clinic is available for around 30 EUR/month I heard, so that should cover till I can get my temporary carte de sejour?

[quote user="Kimi"]I also would like to have some info on health insurance at least till I can apply for the LMDE insurance as a student since I'm studying in France for a year. The kind of health insurance that can cover say consultation with a General Practitioner in a clinic is available for around 30 EUR/month I heard, so that should cover till I can get my temporary carte de sejour?

[/quote]

As a student you will automatically be registered (and paying) for French health insurance - it is mandatory for all students under 30.  You will also have the choice afterwards to get supplementary insurance, which for students can go anywhere from 17€ per month on up.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="krishaparis"]
does anyone know what kind of health insurance qualifies for a long term visa to france? i need to decide what to get and the consulate website says that travel insurance doesn't count, but i'm not sure if this means (obviously) the insurance that only covers trip cancellations, lost luggage, etc. or if international travel medical insurance is also not enough.

[/quote]

I have a simliar question. By way of introduction (I'm your newest member) and by way of explanation, my wife and I are both British - Canadian dual citizens residing in Toronto. We left the UK 30 years ago and were 5 years in the US, 4 years in Canada, 8 years in Germany and returned to Canada 14 years ago for a second look. I am nearly 58 now and we are planning to retire in France in 2015 (at age 65).  We know Normandy (Calvados) very well and are in the process of buying a house in Isigny-sur-mer (14) which will serve as a vacation home until we take up permanent residence there. One more relevant detail, my wife's mother is French (born in Bayeux but living permanently in the UK), which MAY mean that the OH could get French citizenship? Which might affect the answer to my next question.

On health care: we have paid no NI since 1977, are not UK residents and have no plans to reside there again. As stated we will be 65 before we move to France full time. Can anyone clarify our health insurance entitlements (in France, after retirement) or lack of them? In addition if we would have no public coverage, can you direct me somewhere for a rough estimate of private costs? (Obviously that will depend on the state of our health then, but we're both healthy enough right now (touch wood).

I'd appreciate any input.

Novo.

Hi there

My expertise re non-EU people is negligable.  However it would probably be worth approching the DWP in the UK, especialy if somewhere you have your old National Insurance numbers.  At some time in the past, you may have made sufficient NI contributions to qualify for a minimum UK state old age pension, in which case you may also find that you are entitled to E121's which would solve your problem.

You might also try some of the North American fora aimed at their citizens and residents making the move to France.  As far as our research is concerned - but we don't have a lot of evidence - it may be possible for still for them to enter the CMU, but as you have (I assume ) UK passports, that's probably a non starter.

I have compiled a list here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1017162/ShowPost.aspx

of insurance providers, so you can get a few on-line quotes, but you could be talking 5 - 6k euros at least, per year, between you.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Hi there

My expertise re non-EU people is negligable.  However it would probably be worth approching the DWP in the UK, especialy if somewhere you have your old National Insurance numbers.  At some time in the past, you may have made sufficient NI contributions to qualify for a minimum UK state old age pension, in which case you may also find that you are entitled to E121's which would solve your problem.

You might also try some of the North American fora aimed at their citizens and residents making the move to France.  As far as our research is concerned - but we don't have a lot of evidence - it may be possible for still for them to enter the CMU, but as you have (I assume ) UK passports, that's probably a non starter.

I have compiled a list here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums//ShowPost.aspx

of insurance providers, so you can get a few on-line quotes, but you could be talking 5 - 6k euros at least, per year, between you.

Thanks cooperlola. I'll continue research...

[/quote]

If your contributions through work were insufficient, you may nevertheless be able to make additional voluntary contributions to secure a UK pension.

I have, however, seen it suggested that a pension bought with such purchased contributions does not qualify for an E121. Perhaps Cooperlola could advise?

Here was the relevant info'

"If you don't qualify for the full basic State Pension

If you don't qualify for the full basic State Pension, but have 25 per cent or more of the qualifying years, you'll get a weekly basic State Pension between the minimum (£21.83 in 2007-2008) and the maximum (£87.30 in 2007-2008).
If you have fewer than 25 per cent of the qualifying years

If you have fewer than 25 per cent of the qualifying years, you're not normally entitled to receive any basic State Pension. However, you can get a 'non-contributory' or 'Over 80 Pension' if you're aged 80 or more and meet the residency conditions. This is £52.30 a week for 2007-2008.

You can get more information from your local pension centre.

You qualify by building up enough 'qualifying years' before State Pension age.

What are qualifying years?

A qualifying year is a tax year where you have sufficient income to pay NICs (or are treated as having paid or being credited with NICs).

In 2007-2008, you need to have £4,524 or more of such earnings if you are an employee or £4,635 or more if you are self-employed.

How many qualifying years do you need?

The number of qualifying years you normally need for a full basic State Pension is equal to about 90 per cent of your working life. This is calculated from the start of the tax year in which you reach 16 until the end of the tax year preceding the year in which you reach State Pension age.

Working life
Your working life is the period over which you have to have met the contribution conditions for the basic State Pension. It is normally:

* 49 years for men
    * 44 years for women born on or before 5 October 1950
    * 45 years for women born on 6 October 1950 or on any day through to and including 5 October 1951
    * 46 years for women born on 6 October 1951 or on any day through to and including 5 October 1952
    * 47 years for women born on 6 October 1952 or on any day through to and including 5 October 1953
    * 48 years for women born on 6 October 1953 or on any day through to and including 5 October 1954
    * 49 years for women born on 6 October 1954 or later

Your working life is counted from the start of the tax year in which you reach the age of 16 to the end of the tax year before the one in which you reach State Pension age.

Pension Forecasts

The Department for Work and Pensions provides a pension forecasting service to customers in both Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, the Department is temporarily unable to provide customers who reach State Pension Age on or after 6 April 2010, with a State Pension forecast. This is because the computer systems used to provide State Pension forecasts are in the process of being updated to reflect the recent changes to the State Pension rules introduced by the Pensions Act 2007.

Please note that while the Pensions Act 2007 applies only to Great Britain, it is intended that Northern Ireland, which has its own body of pensions legislation, will make corresponding provision for its customers in due course.

Over the next year we will be updating the computer systems used to provide State Pension forecasts, to enable us to provide a service that will be available to all to use. We aim to have the system changes in place by Autumn 2008. "

From Les on THIS thread

Just out of interest, last week my wife rang for a pension forcast, according to the "powers that be" she "does not exist", no records whatever!!

She did not have an NI number to quote and now has to supply a full, comprehensive record of her life, every address we have lived in ( we are in house 34 at the moment!!!) plus my NI number etc.

This could be a long haul![:@]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Just out of interest, last week my wife rang for a pension forcast, according to the "powers that be" she "does not exist", no records whatever!!

She did not have an NI number to quote and now has to supply a full, comprehensive record of her life, every address we have lived in ( we are in house 34 at the moment!!!) plus my NI number etc.

This could be a long haul![:@]
[/quote]

Is it that your wife has never had an NI number, or that she has forgotten it?  If she doesn't have/has never had a number it must surely follow that she has never paid NI contributions, and so would not qualify for a pension in her own right?

Or have I misunderstood?

[quote user="powerdesal"]Just out of interest, last week my wife rang for a pension forcast, according to the "powers that be" she "does not exist", no records whatever!!

She did not have an NI number to quote and now has to supply a full, comprehensive record of her life, every address we have lived in ( we are in house 34 at the moment!!!) plus my NI number etc. This could be a long haul! [/quote]

Don't give up - my mothers contributions office was bombed in the war and her records went up in smoke, however after a bit of paperwork she was abe to claim back payments and then get a small regular pension.

Paul Lewis who writes for Saga ( and is part of the Radio 4 Moneybox team too)  might be able to help, his advice helped my mother.

http://www.paullewis.co.uk/

PS Has any one contacted him about the issue in hand ? He might give it some welcome publicity.[:)]

[quote user="lacote0_0"]

I have, however, seen it suggested that a pension bought with such purchased contributions does not qualify for an E121.
[/quote]

If you are eligible for a state retirement pension, then, by definition, you are eligible for the E121 form.