usb internet dongle

Hi

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me if there is a pay as you go usb internet dongle available in france.  There is a 3G one in the uk which can be used in france but costs an arm and a leg.  I dont want to have to buy a telephone line and internt for france as we are only there 8 -10 weeks of the year so thought this might be an option.

Any thoughts or information on the subject would be greatly received.   I have tried to look at some french sites but my language sills are not yet upto it.

Thanks in advance

Judith

• 6 months later...

Yes, you can get Mobile Broadband Modems (“dongles”) in France and elsewhere, but as with Mobile Phones, the cost is much higher than in the UK.

For example in the UK, £49 will get you a Pay As You Go modem and 1 gigabyte of internet browsing / downloads will cost you £10 a month on the 3 network.

Orange France sell a modem (“Clé 3G”) for 59€ (30€ after a promotional refund), but 6 hours of surfing over 15 days costs 25€…..

If you buy one make sure you can take it back if you don’t get reception where you want to use it.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Mme poivre"]

Hi

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me if there is a pay as you go usb internet dongle available in france.  There is a 3G one in the uk which can be used in france but costs an arm and a leg.  I dont want to have to buy a telephone line and internt for france as we are only there 8 -10 weeks of the year so thought this might be an option.

Any thoughts or information on the subject would be greatly received.   I have tried to look at some french sites but my language sills are not yet upto it.

Thanks in advance

Judith

[/quote]

They cost both arms and both legs.

I looked at dedicated satellite broadband and it is cheaper if you can get your neighbours to join together and all use a wireless network.

My Marie sent a letter round last year asking those without broadband if they would like to take up 'new broadband technology' my neighbours and I signed up. When I asked what it was I was told new technology. Since then nothing has transpired.

Hi

Thanks in advance

Judith

[/quote]

There is free Wi-Fi all over the Vendée financed by the Conseil Général.  It's normally to be found at Tourist Offices or ask at your Town Hall next time you're over.

Not as convenient I agree but at least it's at no cost.

wifi very few and far between in the Vienne, many of the rural areas can't even get broadband let alone wifi, we don't even bother taking the lap top now, wouldn't even mind paying a bit to use a wifi hot spot. The UK government has just announced it wants every home in UK to have broadband, doubt if it will ever happen in France (most people haven't even got mains drains!!)

Thanks for the answers guys and gals. 

I have just once used the free wifi at the Macdonalds in Les Herbiers but had my whole address book wiped and friends sent very dodgy french (originated) e-mails that said they were from me.[:(]

It took me three weeks to sort the problems out and I had to input all my contacts again.  I really only wanted a pay as you go dongle as we are only in France for about 10 weeks a year and it would be for keeping in contact with the rest of the family when we were away.

I am still trying to persuade my French neighbour that he wants Wifi but he will have none of it[:P]

Judith

Hi Judith,

I don’t think Mobile Broadband prices have come down since you first asked the question last year – in real terms, they are probably more expensive as a result of the exchange rate!

Orange is now 19€ after 30€ refund and includes 2 hours / 15 days usage. 6hours / 15 days credit costs 25€.

Do you get a strong mobile signal in your house?  Which network does your UK mobile display in your French house – that would the network to use for Mobile Broadband (subject to it having 3G coverage in your area).

Does your neighbour really live close enough for wifi to work between your houses?  If so, and they have broadband, it could be worthwhile you buying the equipment….

I am still trying to persuade my French neighbour that he wants Wifi but he will have none of it[:P] 

[/quote]

I have spent nearly 3 years trying to persuade my french neighbour to secure his wifi ... but all I get in reply is a gallic shrug, a shake of his head and a pursing of his lips.

Perhaps we could swap neighbours ...?

Sue [;-)]

Perhaps we could swap neighbours ...?

I'm sure you wouldn't want to, mine has FTW tattooed on his arm drives a harley and is caffine free coffee total..........lovely for all that and he and his wife have done a alot for me and mine and I can use his computer and Internet when ever I like most of the time.

Judith

• 2 weeks later...
I'm I just being a bit thick here, or does SFR now offer an internet dongle for 10 euros a month, even if you don't have one of their phones?

http://www.sfr.fr/mobile-adsl/

This seems a good price to me.

I wan't to use the internet on my laptop for the 10 - 12 weeks that I'm in Brittany each year.

cheers,

Roddy

[quote user="Roddy"]I'm I just being a bit thick here, or does SFR now offer an internet dongle for 10 euros a month, even if you don't have one of their phones? http://www.sfr.fr/mobile-adsl/ This seems a good price to me. I wan't to use the internet on my laptop for the 10 - 12 weeks that I'm in Brittany each year. cheers, Roddy[/quote]

The catch is you have to sign up for 24 months. See link:

http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/cle-3g-plus.jspe

Click on CHOISIR.

Thanks pachpapa

I have been trying to open the other link for ages

24 months doesnt seem such a bad thing if it is the right thing for us, but we will look into it. We don't even know if we  have 3g in our area properly, I know we pick up SFR and Orange at our house but unsure about the 3G.