Chanel 5, fiver etc off air

I have Sky dish twin LNB. Foxsat Freesat has channel 5 working as normal, However Sky box says no signal for all the 5 channels.Anyone else having the same problem? It's no big deal, but I am just interested in why it should be, and in particular why should Freesat work and not Sky?

What is going on, for the last couple of days we can only get the 'five' channels and Channel 4. BBC1 and ITV3 are pixeled the rest are showing a blue screen. Just in time for the Formula 1 Grand Prix again.[:'(] We sometimes get some of them back for a short time if we unplug etc.

[quote user="Poppy"]What is going on, for the last couple of days we can only get the 'five' channels and Channel 4. BBC1 and ITV3 are pixeled the rest are showing a blue screen.

[/quote]

My reply cut in the light of Antonia's much more knowledgeable reply below.

Sue [:)]

Jazzer's

original  problem can be explained because Freesat and Sky use

different transponders for Five transmission. The problem of the loss

of all Five channels on some Sky boxes can be explained as well. The

transmissions have in the recent past changed transponders frequencies

and even satellite. Some Sky boxes like ours have self tuned to the new

frequencies and some will need a forced re-tune as they are still

looking for the original transponder. 
Big Dish Sat has a factsheet to help those whose box does not retune after leaving on standby overnight.

I've come to this a bit late in the day,  never having managed to watch a programme on Five from end to end,  but it's worth saying that the changes from one satellite to another don't mean that you can't get it any more,   the transmitted signal has been moved to another-satellite-within-the-same-cluster,  so your dish still is pointing at the correct position.

It does seem that some Sky boxes are being very tardy about all this.   You can restore Five itself by using the feed on 10773 MHz  H 22000 kbps  5/6 FEC via "add channels" and then "other channels" -  this was explained in a thread not so long ago,   but it's fiddly.     One hopes that Sky will sort themselves out fairly soon!

Poppy -  if a depower doesn't sort you soon it does sound as though your dish has moved slightly.   What signal QUALITY does your box give in the services menu?

Check the signal strength and quality.. Services,4,6.. Your dish may have moved a bit. Some channels seem to need more signal than others with ClassicFM on 0106 being the one I test with. If that is OK everything else works, but if I get the no satellite signal on ClassicFm then a tweak is need or it is raining very heavily !

Thank you so much for the replies. The signal strength and quality are around the 50% mark, the quality sometimes higher, but these were the highest figs that could be achieved when system was installed. All was well for years then last year just in time for the Grand Prix we lost ITV. We had the LNB replaced and all was well again until this week just before the Grand Prix. Will do an unplug so that we can watch the qualifying today but obviously don't want to do too many unplugs.

Have just checked ClassicFM and get 'no satellite signal' so looks like I need to get out the climbing shoes and start tweaking.

Many thanks for the help.

Still having the same problem with one of our boxes. can't get any of the five cluster but its also strange that when you run up through the channels some of the time it gets to I think channel 135 and then goes back to 105!! This is weird. Old sky box fine newer one problem!

It just says no signal being received but all running from the same dish its a bit of a pain in the backside really and just hope sky sort it out soon. 

Have done the forced software upgrade mentioned on bigdishsat with no luck!!!! 

@  Thebiga

I came across a Sky box with similar symptoms to yours;   I'm afraid it's generally a sign that the box is failing but I'd hang on for a bit just in case it rights itself.

50% is normally enough but of course only refers to one frequency (the default transponder) when viewed on a Sky box so if you get nothing on Classic FM (which comes off Eurobird I think) then probably a dish tweak will improve everything.

Don't forget to mark everything about the current set up -  Anton has offered some good astuces in the past on this subject.

And don't forget the LNB skew (the fact that the LNB should be twisted about 15 - 30 deg CLOCKWISE from its natural position) as viewed from in front of the dish.

And it's always worth checking your box on someone else's working dish (and vice versa if possible) to narrow down whether it's box or dish being a pain!

But to stress,   if it's just a problem with FIVE then leave the dish alone for the moment,  you can get FIVE via "other channels" as I suggested above.

Yes just tried that and No change, Grrrrrr If its the box thats going down the pan how come so many people had the same problem all on the same day? We have four sky boxes all coming off the same dish but only one is playing up on the Five cluster. And its the newer of the boxes also. Could it be just sky still messing around?

Cheers

We just had our box replaced a few months ago with a new one and we have had the same problem. I haven't been bothered about not having channel five so haven't bothered until seeing this thread and I just did as Anton recommended. I unplugged and took the card out etc.

At first when I turned it back on it didn't have channel five at all just went from channel four to 106. So I went into services to see if I could re-program but didn't do anything and when I went back suddenly it just reappeared so it must have somehow reset itself.[8-)]

TOH has been messing with Sky box for an hour or so. He's done the switch off and wait, unplug and wait, remove Sky card / replace Sky card, the system has re-searched for listings, we've now done the software update... still no five group.

Signal and quality is fine...[8-)]

What next?

Edit:

Have just found this thread...

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1598192/ShowPost.aspx

so OH will try the instructions in the post from Anton via Martin. [:)]

Edit2

Apparently that didn't work either. [Www]

@ catalpa

That manoeuvre only works in this case for the main FIVE and not the spin offs.

So what happened when you had put in the frequency information etc   (ie the 10773 MHz  H 22000 5/6) and asked it to find channels?   You should have had a handful of BBC stuff plus the FIVE,  this last one you would have ticked via the yellow button and saved.

If you didn't get that then something else (apart from a non-updated EPG) is "up".

Come back and we'll keep trying!