Teleconnect changes.....

If you have Teleconnect you will gave received an email asking you to update your livebox. If you have not attempted this yet - don't try yet as it doesn't work !!   I tried to do the update last Wednesday, The result - the livebox did not recover. I phoned Teleconnect (via France Telecom, because my Teleconnect line was goosed) A very nice guy twiddled something and told me all was now good.... Yes my Internet connection was back. About an hour later I tried to make a call to the UK - result - NO teleconnect telephone line. After trying to get through to Teleconnect since last Thursday, I eventually got through yesterday. The response " Oh you're lucky at least you have the Internet, lots of people don't even have that. As for your telephone line you will have to wait a few weeks until we can get the software sorted out" After lots more somewhat heated discussion, I have now been told that I will receive a CD in the post to sort out the problem in the next couple of weeks and because I pay for "Unlimited calls to the UK", if I forward my FT bills they will refund the cost of my calls.  

Has anyone else fallen into this fiasco ??

My advice to anyone who still needs to do this update - Don't do anything until you can be sure it's going to work

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are nevertheless exceedingly fortunate in being able to make contact in your own language.

Can you imagine the hassle trying to do all that in french; the mind boggles.

I am sure that it must be a minor programme code bug which the fluent french speaking Teleconnect technicians protecting your

service will quickly resolve to your complete satisfaction in synergy with their french collegues on Orange. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]

But you are nevertheless exceedingly fortunate in being able to make contact in your own language.

Can you imagine the hassle trying to do all that in french; the mind boggles.

I am sure that it must be a minor programme code bug which the fluent french speaking Teleconnect technicians protecting your

service will quickly resolve to your complete satisfaction in synergy with their french collegues on Orange. 

[/quote]

I agree with you - but - if Teleconnect can email all it's customers about the change, then surely they can also email when they realize things are going wrong. I think what annoys me is, they know the software is not bug free, but they let their customers continue with this upgrade knowing it is going to bring their systems to a standstill.

Also, I worked in a software house for many years, releasing software to major blue chip companies on a regular basis. If there was an error, those companies were told in advance, not left to fall off the cliff.....

I agree with Nell completely and I would add that in such circumstances

You don't go home untill it's fixed

I'm sure that everyone who has ever done IT support and being on-call would recognise this.

Pulling an all-nighter is no fun at all but it has to be done sometimes.

I'm with Teleconnect and AFAIK they do not supply Liveboxes (praise be) but a TECOM badged Hiachi router instead.

I was notified of the forthcoming update which was supposed to be 'pushed' as opposed to a manual task on the part of the customer so not really a question choice.

They also gave a link to the software which I duly downloaded which is the same update but gives you the chance to reinstall it if something happened to go wrong, i.e. power cut mid install for instance. There was also a warning not to do anything with it unless neccessary so did you follow instructions or just install it off your own bat I wonder ?

I can appreciate your annoyance and frustration but I don't for one

moment imagine they released the update knowing as you put it "is going to bring

(their) systems to a standstill"

I think it would have been an automated process too and not a case of

checking each customer on an individual basis and only moving on to the

next when all was 100% proven so if problems emerged it would have been

too late for those affected.

I perhaps detect a tinge of sarcasm in pachapapa's post but nevertheless what he says is true. I can't begin to imagine arguing the toss with a French ISP [:'(]

I don't know if the update has been pushed to my router yet, I'm not at home to check it, but I know it's still up as I can access my PVR's remotely.

Hope you get sorted soon.

TIP: For cheap calls in the interim, assuming you have web access and it's just the phone/VOIP side which is down, use Skype.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

They also gave a link to the software which I duly downloaded which is the same update but gives you the chance to reinstall it if something happened to go wrong, i.e. power cut mid install for instance. There was also a warning not to do anything with it unless neccessary so did you follow instructions or just install it off your own bat I wonder ?

[/quote]

If you downloaded the upgrade software 2 weeks ago to your PC as requested by Teleconnect, yes I agree this was all that was to be done. If you followed the instructions 1 week ago (as I did) you will find that the instructions now tell you to download the software to your PC AND then proceed with the upgrade.... It is when you have installed the upgrade you get the problems. So in answer to your question Ernie, Yes I did follow the instructions and No I did not install it off my on bat.... If you would like to check the PDF instructions again here's the link http://login.btadsl.fr/Default.aspx?brand=TC

Sorry - forgot to mention on my last post, I like Teleconnect, I know things can go wrong. all I was trying to do with the original post was warn others not to follow the instructions yet as the upgrade it still a bit flaky !!!!! and you cannot get through to them on the telephone as they are so busy.

I wasn't accusing or criticising Nell, just asking, and it appears that you have just been unfortunate on this occasion. I like Teleconnect also.

What it seems to have done than, if I understand you and from the fact that you are still online, is kill your VOIP. That being so it would surprise me if this were not easily fixed by a one or two minor tweaks in the router and perhaps someone else who has one could take a peek and let you know what the settings are, there is certainly no harm to be done by trying. As I said I'm not at home so unable able to help you with that at present. You have tried the reset again BTW ?

I'm in the fortunate position of having a spare router because they accidentally sent me 2 when mine got zapped quite a while back but so far they haven't asked for it's return [;-)]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I wasn't accusing or criticising Nell, just asking, and it appears that you have just been unfortunate on this occasion. I like Teleconnect also.

What it seems to have done than, if I understand you and from the fact that you are still online, is kill your VOIP. That being so it would surprise me if this were not easily fixed by a one or two minor tweaks in the router and perhaps someone else who has one could take a peek and let you know what the settings are, there is certainly no harm to be done by trying. As I said I'm not at home so unable able to help you with that at present. You have tried the reset again BTW ?

[/quote]

The VOIP is stills on (I think - as it is lit). By no telephone as such, I can dial out to a UK number but it does not connect... If I dial a French number, I get through, but only manage to hear about every third word. It's a bit like that comedian with the broken mike from a good few years ago [:D]  I can't remember his name but I am sure someone will tell me [Www]

Yes I have reset - many times!! and Teleconnect have checked the settings. Thanks for the thoughts anyway....

Sounds like something has gone badly wrong with updating something further down the line which is what in turn necessitated the router update.

Still, if Teleconnect are picking up the tab for your calls you can't really say fairer can you, I wonder if Orange would have been as generous [:)]

Let's hope it sorted soon anyway.

Hi,

I am another unfortunate who downloaded the new update yesterday evening after receiving an e-mail from Teleconnect. I still have internet access and VOIP but like a previous poster, the telephone line is a-la-Norman Collier insomuch as I can only get every other word. Also the dialling tone has changed and on my modem I have 2 lights on DSL and WLAN. WLAN has never been on before so something is very wrong. Mine is a new modem and I am still chasing Teleconnect for 9 days without internet access a couple of weeks ago (refund of calls via FT etc). Not a happy bunny at the moment! Have e-mailed Teleconnect but not holding my breath if all their customers have the same problem. Although in fairness when I have had problems (rarely) they are very good in their response and English speaking which is a godsend.

tuppence

WLAN just means that the wireless is enabled nothing more sinister and you can turn it off in the router if you don't need it or don't want to expose it to anyone nearby, if that is indeed a risk.

I presume you were not using wireless before then ?

To answer ErnieY, no I wasn't using wireless before all this kicked off. But I have now discovered that I cannot send e-mails, they just come back with a message and an error code. Although I can receive incoming e-mails no problem. Not sure if this is all to do with teleconnect or whether yahoo have got a problem. The only way I can send e-mails at the moment is through my google gmail account.  Any ideas anyone??

tuppence

You should have a letter from Teleconnect this week with your new VoIP line number and the new SMTP server for your outgoing email. Full instructions are on the Teleconnect website under downloads, I have copied the following for you:

- Open Outlook Express

- Click on “Tools”

- And “Account”

- Then on the “Mail” tab

- Select your default e-mail account and click on “Properties”

- Then on the “Server” tab

The incoming mail server POP3 represents your mail provider.

So keep it.

The outgoing mail server SMTP represents your Internet provider

Please replace the old one by the following: mail.btadsl.fr

- Click on “Apply” then “Ok”.

EDIT - of course this does not apply to web based mail such as Yahoo.

Thanks ErnieY for your response. I admit it does seem strange as my incoming  mails are OK and outgoing via gmail are too. However message gives an error no. 0x800CCC79. Server response 550 RCPT  and Please use SMTP AUTH, Port 25 Secure (SSL).  All a bit gobbledegook to a non techie like myself. I did check yahoo but no problems with them but by the time you read this reply you will see that another response followed yours and I will see where that gets me. [8-)]

thank

tuppence

Jay,

Many thanks for the info you sent. I have done that and yes my e-mail is now OK, although I haven't received a letter from TC, just an e-mail last night but it didn't mentionVOIP numbers or SMTP changes.  Now all I need is for Teleconnect to answer their phone([6]) and let me ne able to speak to people and hear them correctly. I have to say that there are some very knowledgeable people on this site for which I am immensely grateful.

thanks

tuppence

BTW which download did you use as there are so many on their website.

It dose seem as if everybodys VOIP number is changing. I have today received un email telling me that I can now install the upgrade file recently sent to me. I have also recived a letter in which there is a line" In most cases the upgrade will be processed automatically before March 31st. Do not install the upgrade file until asked for by our technical team. I think  I will wait a few days before attempting anything to see if things settle.