Teleconnect changes.....

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am even scared to try using the phone this morning, as Nell says my calls will be taken down a deep well!!

ErnieY I tried to get into the router but no longer have a password automatically entered so can't do it, this was when TC gave out new (jumbled) passwords and mine no longer has that luxury just 'support' in top line.

Lets see who gets a decent phone line first as that is my main worry today. Internet and e-mail OK.

tuppence

Don't know what your problem is with the password, just clear the PW box and type in    tyuj456k   voila

You should also be able to go in with user name    user    and password also   user   although I'm not sure if you can change anything at that level.

No way, ErnieY, will it let me put ANY password in, just keeps coming back with an http error, so what ever I put in gets rejected. Thought of phoning them but having tried 3 times already this morning, perhaps that's another waste of my time too!!

tuppence

I get a 'connect to 192.168.1.1' page asking for username and password. My username is my e-mail address and the only time I have ever used a password is when tc said to use my ft line number. It doesn't accept either or the password you listed on your last post. I know they changed that password at the beginning of all the latest troubles. So needless to say another day to wait for the telephone  line to be sorted, the rest can wait till later. I would have though TC would have e-mailed everyone affected by these problems to keep us uip to date on their progress (or lack of it).

Sadly my 89 year old Mum is having to call me on my UK2U number, must be costing her a small fortune. At least my outgoing calls via FT should be reimbursed, altghough I won't hold my breath for that to happen!!

tuppence

Why do you think your user name is your email address ?

Unless the firmware update has changed it (them) to something else the 2 user id's you should be able to log in under are  user  and   support  for which the  passwords are user and tyuj456k respectively. One think I think I can guarantee is that it will NOT be your email address.

UK2U cost's 3p/min but just for information if you sign up in UK with 18185 then calls cost 1p to a French fixed line or 8p to a mobile, subject to a 4p connection charge.

PS: Expect your FT costs to be discounted from your monthly subs not repaid in hard cash.

[quote user="tuppence"]I know they changed that password at the beginning of all the latest troubles [/quote]Can you tell me where you got this information from because nothing I have seen has mentioned this, indeed the letter I received specifically referred to logging in as Support with tyuj456k

I have a feeling that the password I was given may have related to the new modem I had a week or so before all the other troubles started. As for trying to log on to 192.168.1.1, it won't accept user or support with the password tyuj456k and when I press cancel it goes to a pink page where the single message of 401 Unauthorized is shown.

BTW thanks for the 18185 note, I've checked their website and will notify my UK friends/family.

tuppence

Well it would appear then that they may have changed to password but not told you what it is which is ridiculous, there are any number of legitimate reasons for needing to get into it.

Sorry to ask but I presume you did do the reset as instructed ?

Yes I did the reset as they requested via their letter. I have never received a CD from TC or done anything that wasn't written in black and white. I had always been able to get into the 192.168.1.1 prior to having the new modem/latest troubles which stopping me doing so. And as a non-technie I find it all a bit confusing to say the least. All I want is to be able to phone out and be able to hear the people I am calling as good as it was before TC started messing us all about!! Everything else is working OK.

tuppence

And I thought that most people joined teleconect and the like with English speaking helplines to avoid complications!

Most of this thread is a foreign language to me, should customers really need to be that computer savvy?

I am glad that I chose Free.fr even if I do sometimes have to hang up and recall to avoid hearing my voice echo or talking to a Dalek!

Are any of these VOIP services as good as a normal line could and should be?

I don't know exactly what's gone wrong JR but the fundamental and quite common process of upgrading a router's firmware should be a completely transparent and painless procedure and I'm sure that Teleconnect did not expect it to be anything to the contrary. There is certainly nothing to be gained from foisting a buggy upgrade on customers and I suspect the root of the problem is some unforseen incompatibility downstream.

With an evil head on and remembering that third parties are involved it's possible for one to speculate that it might conceivably not be entirely 'accidental' [6]

Regarding VOIP services, with a half decent ADSL line VOIP can be indistinguishable from POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).

Hey Jazzer, how come you are still receiving update e-mails from TC? My last one stated that they are very sorry for problems and all should be well by April 6th.Well that day has come and gone and we are still having problems. They won't be so happy when I send them my FT bill for calls made via them!!

I presume that all posters on this subject are still talking to people who sound as though they are in a) a well b) in a tunnel c) in a goldfishbowl etc etc . Mine certainly was as of this morning. Just about to try them again (4.55pm) not holding out for an answer!1

tuppence

The whole thing is totally bizarre.I have had no emails to advise me of the problems being encounntered. I only know of the situation because of this forum. As stated previously I have had a letter following the request to downlaod in anticipation of the upgrade, then a letter avising me that in most cases the upgrade will be processed automatically before 31st march, then a letter with a CD to upgrade the modem. I have decided to do nothing, and of course the latest email dated 3rd April advising I must upgrade by 15th.Thankfully everything is working very well.

Bizarre just doesn't cover this almighty cock-up. Internet and e-mail seem to be as normal but still having problems via the phone. Their last e-mail to me seemed to concentrate on the VOIP problem saying that don't call them (like you may get through!) about VOIP because they are aware that it is (in their words) unstable. Good word that, unstable. Shot to bits is more apt. It would be interesting to see how many jump TC's ship and opt for another ISP. I'll hang fire as I am fairly sure they will sort this out soon. (Always an optimist, me).

tuppence

There seems to be more hype than problem here. I have been reading back through the posts on this topic and it would appear there are only two people who are having problems with VOIP. My connection and phone are working perfectly and while I appreciate how annoying it must be for those affected I think perhaps the situation has been blown out of proportion. Perhaps I am wrong and if more people could post their concerns/problems we could get a clearer picture of the situation.

Rather presumptious to imagine that more than a tiny fraction of Teleconnect customers frequent this and similar forums and one sufferer has quoted them as admitting that the problem has affected 1000's so I think we can safely say the number does exceed 2 [:'(]

I am presuming that Jay is referring to myself and Nell, who are both suffering with VOIP problems. Teleconnect are admitting themselves that this is unstable at the moment and that we are having to use FT to call people. Not a happy situation but presumably TC have lots more people who are having problems with VOIP. If Jay is lucky enough to have everything working for him ...great,  but don't think for one minute that Nell and myself are the only ones with problems.

tuppence

Having risen early this morning in a fit of madness I decided to upgrade my spare router to experience 1st hand what everyone was complaining about and share their pain. I also figured that if there is a drop dead date of the 15th for updating I might as well know now if I'm going to be in trouble too.

I was not disappointed as the net result was no Internet, no VOIP (of course) and most oddly, no Wireless either.

Being completely unable to find out the reason for the lack of Wireless I overwrote the config with a previously made backup from my other router and that brought it to life but had no effect on the other 2 issues. I had thought that perhaps the VOIP settings from the other router might have worked under the new firmware but without being able to get online with it at all I cannot test that. I did try putting the new settings into the old router but that didn't work although I don't know what real conclusion I can draw from that.

Comparing the router settings side by side actually reveals very few differences other than the VOIP but there is another root login level which I do have the password for so can't get completely down and dirty with it [geek]

My original router is now back in service and functioning as was so no problems for the moment [8-|]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="tuppence"]I know they changed that password at the beginning of all the latest troubles [/quote]Can you tell me where you got this information from because nothing I have seen has mentioned this, indeed the letter I received specifically referred to logging in as Support with tyuj456k

[/quote]

tuppence, during the upgrade it changes the support PW to    dfg123ty