TV License in France

We have had a second home in France for just over two years now, and have just received a form 1236-TV asking about television license.

Has anyone any info about this form?

My limited ( but improving) French tell me that it says that I have to declare if I had a tv there on January 1st. So if I take a set with me, and bring it back to the Uk prior to 1st Jan, do I not have to pay for a license?

Also, does this only relate to French TV, as we have a sky freesat box to recieve Uk programs.

thanks all.

I can also confirm that having persuaded the authorities that you are not due to pay the redevance audiovisuelle for the year in question (I used an attestation from the Mairie) that they will not ask again or impose the tax (unless you buy a TV from a retailer in France), it is your responsibility to inform them should you have a TV on the 1st January in subsequent years.

Of course with all the other things going on these things can easily be forgotten so best to make a note [;-)] [:P]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I can also confirm that having persuaded the authorities that you are not due to pay the redevance audiovisuelle for the year in question (I used an attestation from the Mairie) that they will not ask again or impose the tax (unless you buy a TV from a retailer in France), it is your responsibility to inform them should you have a TV on the 1st January in subsequent years.

Of course with all the other things going on these things can easily be forgotten so best to make a note [;-)] [:P]

[/quote]

Since the tv fee was added to the tax d'habitation we've had this form each March to declare we have no tv in the house - the tax d'habitation bill then arrives in November with only the amount for tax d'habitation due (well every year but one but that's another story of battling French beurocracy!)

I am taking a tv over later this month so obviously will not complete the exemption form in later years.  It's been said on other forums that it is legal to remove your tv on your last visit of the year then bring it back on the 1st visit of the following year as the form only asks if there is a tv in your house on 1 January.  I for one am not brave or rich enough to test that theory though!

Fot the OP - it doesn't matter what nationality of tv you watch - if you have tv equipment then you are liable to pay.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Bit like those MP's who should have followed your advice,   they'd then have noticed that they'd paid of their mortgages and could stop claiming for them...

tee hee!

[quote user="Chancer"]
Fot the OP - it doesn't matter what nationality of tv you watch - if you have tv equipment then you are liable to pay.
[/quote]

For the OP:  if you have any equipment capable of receiving a tv signal (dispositif assimile) you are expected to pay the licence fee. So a satellite receiver or a computer with a tv card requires a licence.

I wish you were right Chancer.

Every year my taxe d'habitation arrives with an amount for the TV. Every year I write to them to confirm that I do not have one and they reimburse me.

Today I have even received the official form asking me to declare whether or not I had a TV on January 1st.

Hoddy

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

For the OP:  if you have any equipment capable of receiving a tv signal (dispositif assimile) you are expected to pay the licence fee. So a satellite receiver or a computer with a tv card requires a licence.

[/quote]

I wonder if you need one if you illegally download tv shows to your computer...?

I guess it must vary according to region, mine has remained unchanged, I even went in to the Hôtel Des Impôts to do battle with them regarding my TDH which they kindly reduced by 80%, they didnt ask me about or comment on the redevance audio-visuelle and of course I had forgotten to take my knotted handkerchief to remind me of the note in my pocket [;-)]

The thread Clair gave the link to earlier (and the letter she provided) resulted in the charge being removed. However, today we also received Form 1236-TV asking us to confirm our status regarding the TV. Very straightforward and we'll make sure we have responded before 31 May.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="Chancer"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if you need one if you illegally download tv shows to your computer...?
[/quote]

My guess is probably not, since you are not receiving transmitted signals - but I wouldn't want to put it to the test!

[quote user="Mme poivre"]so even though my tv equpment on the roof does nto function and we can not recieve any TV signal we still have to pay?[/quote]

The presence of a roof aerial (which is to what I assume you are referring) does not in itself entail the requirement to have a licence.

However, if you also have a TV in the house and it's used for ANY off air viewing (including satellite from any country).......

we do have a tv but only so the kids can watch a DVD from time to time or put their wii game on it if the weather is not good.

I have been paying this for the last 5 years becasue the aerial is on the roof and easy to see.....

Arh well might have to persuade OH to get it fixed :-)

Apart from the payment mechanism and the Jan 1st date the rules on TV licencing appear to be exactly the same as UK, if you have equipment capable of receiving TV signals - any TV signals, and regardless of whether you actually use it or not - then you pay it, simples.

Removing your TV on Dec 31st is not playing the game and if it were that simple then it would be a ritual practiced by each and every French householder to take their TV out of the house at 11:59pm for 24 hours to comply.

Gosh it's like watching an MP who swaps homes to save on CGT trying to justify themselves. It's pretty basic really, if you have a TV and watch it then you pay, if you don't then take any arial and dish down and don't pay. Its not rocket science.

I also used Clair's letter, and I sent it off with a cheque for the amount minus TV licence. I had been going to pop in to the local office for a chat and to pay, but the address for payment was a town in the north for some reason.

I had a receipt back for the amount I'd paid, and a covering note to say it had been noted for future reference. There was no TV letter waiting when we arrived yesterday, so I'll wait and see.

Every year we complete the form in March to say that we have no TV.  Every year when the tax d'habitation form arrives, it includes the cost of the TV licence and because we pay by direct debit, we have to contact the tax office to get a refund.  It is almost as if the left and right hands do not communicate!!!!