What does this mean?

I did a test to check my internet speed as I think my computer seems slow at present. I got these results:

Download Speed: 2105 kbps (263.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 270 kbps (33.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

To be honest I don't really know whether that's good or not! I'm on Orange broadband with Windows 7 and just recently it seems the upload of pages seems slow.

Those are actually very similar to my results... on a good day. [blink]  I have a 2mega  Orange service.

Do you really mean "upload"? That is, are you sending files to a web server or something? The upload speed is nearly always slow, at least on services for private individuals.

The speed can vary in any case; we get days where it feels as though it's going to stop altogether! Also in the evenings around 7pm when everyone is home and logging on; it is a shared service after all, so the more people that are online the slower (generally) it goes.

[quote user="Jay"]Doesn't mean a lot to anyone unless you know what speed you should be getting. Test your "eligibilite" HERE.

[/quote]

OK, done that:

longueur de ligne : 1440 mètres
affaiblissement théorique : 12.012 dB

I copied and pasted this and the other information above direct from the websites. Finding information just seems to be taking longer than usual over the past few weeks.

[quote user="sid"]

Those are actually very similar to my results... on a good day. [blink]  I have a 2mega  Orange service.

Do you really mean "upload"? That is, are you sending files to a web server or something? The upload speed is nearly always slow, at least on services for private individuals.

The speed can vary in any case; we get days where it feels as though it's going to stop altogether! Also in the evenings around 7pm when everyone is home and logging on; it is a shared service after all, so the more people that are online the slower (generally) it goes.

[/quote]

Sorry, I meant downloading![:$]

On the Speedtest.net results the server name is the server used for the test, not your local server. Speedtest selects an appropriate location, or you can choose one yourself. I'm in 79 and my Orange server is Poitiers, but for the Speedtest a server in Paris, Aubervilliers is frequently used.

[quote user="Suandpete"]I was very surprised to see that although we live in 79 (mid-west france) our orange server is in Guernsey.[/quote]

Try redoing the test this time choosing the Paris server as your speeds might come up as being faster. Mine do ... even though Guernsey seems to be fewer miles away than Paris, so should theoretically give faster test speeds.

Sue

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Well, to get back to my original question I'll just have to try and find out how to speed things up!

[/quote]

From the title of the thread I thought we had answered your question. What you were looking at were the test results from a speed test. Whether you can get anything faster depends on what service you are signed up for.

You don't need a superfast pc to look at web pages and I personally doubt that it's your pc which is slow; much more likely to be your ISP. So, who are you with and what have you signed up for?

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Moving house is most likely the only way to speed it up.[/quote]

Seems like for me at least changing the computer makes a difference.

Old wheezy one [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1425187600.png[/IMG][/URL]

Will post new one in a minute[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1425194351.png[/IMG][/URL].

One minute later:

can anyone explain this?

Good question Norman but the answer is all the more confusing!

The old slow computer is also very troublesome, it would sometimes take so long to load a page (news sites especially) that i never knew whether it had locked up, which it frequently did so I would have to reboot frequently, that was on wifi, I ran an eternet cable and it was slightly better, the 2mb result was via the ethernet cable, the new portable at 5mb was on wi-fi.

Another funny, the first speedtest i did last night on the old one came up at 5mb (jamais vu!) then 3mb and thereafter around the 2.2mb, I repeated it many many times, the portable was in sleep mode at the time but I was watching TV via the Freebox which usually slows things down.

What i do know is the portable sits at a steady 5mb looking at the speedo dial and the bar chart trace whereas there are lots of ups and downs on the old machine.

I am 3.5 km from the exchange, less than 2 as the crow flies, I believe i am the only one in this road to be using Free.fr, there are only a couple of buildings occupied, the rest abandoned, whereas several months ago there was one other user.

Sounds to me like your ethernet adaptor on the old machine was on the blink (I had one that didn't completely pack up, which at least has the merit of being obvious) but just went into slowdown.

Doesn't explain the slow Wifi on it though I have to admit