Problem viewing web page.

Could you please try viewing this web page (nothing dodgy) and tell me if it is just me that is having problems.

http://www.electricitepro.com/Boutique/tabid/57/CatID/403/Cable_RO2V.aspx

For me when the page opens initially all the info is there, pictures of cables, prices per metre etc, then after a couple of seconds it all dissapears just leaving the buttons to click, it did the same to me a few weeks ago and on all the pages on the site, I just thought it was having a bad day, now i wonder if its my computer and/or settings.

Or is it just typical French E commerce (not) ?

[quote user="Chancer"]For me when the page opens initially all the info is there, pictures of cables, prices per metre etc, then after a couple of seconds it all dissapears just leaving the buttons to click ... [/quote]

Still OK for me after about 2 or 3 minutes. I use Firefox and XP.

Sue

Tried the cache but the problem is still there.

My machine frequently performs mise à jours without asking or warning me, it just stops dead no matter what I am doing at the time and then reboots with a new version of whatever, all of which i would refuse if asked.

Recently it upgraded itself to IE9 without saying a word, the first i knew of it was a completely alien and to me still unusable toolbar instead of the one that i was used to, the loss of my favorites from the toolbar etc, some of the functions are still there but with completely different symbols, the refresh one for instance would need a magnifying glass to find.

Rant over but I wonder if it is that which is causing the problem?

I dont actually know what version of windows I have, someone did explain recently how to find out.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Tried the cache but the problem is still there.

My machine frequently performs mise à jours without asking or warning me, it just stops dead no matter what I am doing at the time and then reboots with a new version of whatever, all of which i would refuse if asked.

Recently it upgraded itself to IE9 without saying a word, the first i knew of it was a completely alien and to me still unusable toolbar instead of the one that i was used to, the loss of my favorites from the toolbar etc, some of the functions are still there but with completely different symbols, the refresh one for instance would need a magnifying glass to find.

Rant over but I wonder if it is that which is causing the problem?

I dont actually know what version of windows I have, someone did explain recently how to find out.

[/quote]

I believe you can disactivate those mise à jour but I hardly ever use Windows so leave it to the experts to tell you how.

You might give Firefox a try. When it updates it keeps all your favourites, and you can even synchronise them with other computers you use

Through every Windows version which has 'featured' automatic updates I have habitually turned it off immediately after initial installation. All I do after that is install the service packs but then only maybe 3 months after they have been released giving time for all the bugs and unwanted bits to show themselves.

In all those years this practice has yet to compromised my online security.

Like a lot of things it is turned on by default supposedly to help those who do not know how to help themselves but can frequently be the cause of more grief than it prevents.

There is an option to down load the updates but not install them until you agree, I think.  I've just had the same problem, Chancer, since I never upgraded my version of IE and this week it seems to have decided that those of us who have not upgraded need to have the new version forced upon them.  I restored my system to 24 hours before and am back to normal.

I have also changed my update settings but I'm not sure I have your confidence, AnO, to disable them all regardless, not being computer-savvy.  How do you know the computer's as secure as it should be?

Updates disabled, cache cleared but still the problem persists, I really need to keep a close eye on this site to see when a suitable length of large section cable becomes available but am unable to do so.

To recap when the page opens the photos etc are there but in the blink of an eye they dissapear just leaving the buttons fiche detailée and ajouter au panier, if I click on either of them the same thing happens. It does seem to dissapear even quicker since I made the changes.

Any other ideas?

I would love to but how?

Editted.

Just found another loss with IE9, I no longer have the button at the bottom of the screen to increase the magnification, I always had it at 125% no wonder my eyes are strained, yes I know it must be there somewhere but it aint no use if I have to hunt for it, with tired eyes to boot.

[quote user="Chancer"]I would love to but how?[/quote]

Click on the Windows ball ; type Windows Update in the search field; a new window opens.

Look at the bottom left of that window and click on "Mises à jour installées".

The windows now shows a list of installed updates; type "explorer" in the search field top right.

The list now shows Internet Explorer 9. Highlight and uninstall (désinstaller)

[quote user="Chancer"]Just found another loss with IE9, I no longer have the button at the bottom of the screen to increase the magnification, I always had it at 125% no wonder my eyes are strained, yes I know it must be there somewhere but it aint no use if I have to hunt for it, with tired eyes to boot.[/quote]

This looks like your status bar is disabled.

Right-click on the cog icon (top-right), click on (check) Barre d'état.

That should make it reappear.

Does that method then leave you with your previous version of IE, Clair, or none at all?

Sorry, Chancer, my pc is English.  For me it's "Recover" on the control panel then follow the "restore" wizard from there.  You get told when the last Windows Updates were done and set the restore point to the day before the rogue one.

[quote user="AnOther"]Through every Windows version which has 'featured' automatic updates I have habitually turned it off immediately after initial installation. All I do after that is install the service packs but then only maybe 3 months after they have been released giving time for all the bugs and unwanted bits to show themselves.

In all those years this practice has yet to compromised my online security.

Like a lot of things it is turned on by default supposedly to help those who do not know how to help themselves but can frequently be the cause of more grief than it prevents.

[/quote]

Quite frankly if I was to follow your advice I doubt that the security of my portable notebook would survive a week. 

I'm afraid that I can't be responsible for the dodgy sites you visit to put yourself art such risk [;-)]

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/2694248/ShowPost.aspx#2694248

Leaving aside optional updates - which are just that - if you take the time to actually look at the criticals and the issues they address you'll find that the vast majority are to do with things which are so grossly technical or esoteric as to be utterly irrelevant to 95% of home users. If you then further strip out IE vulnerabilities (which most sensible and aware people shouldn't be using anyway [;-)]) you are left with next to nothing.

I wonder though if your dogged, nee slavish, championing of IE is part of your problem. You might add Microsoft Security Essentials to that as it certainly let you down last time, Windows updates and all !

I can only repeat that I have followed this practice since the beta

days of XP at least and and have never suffered as a consequence.

I do of course keep my normal defences up with a decent AV programme (currently AVG FREE but I owe no allegiance to any and will change if I feel the need) plus I have long used a tiny little free programme I found which traps any executables which attempt to insinuate themselves into my startup.

It's here if anybody wants it and I can confirm that it works both in Vista and Windows 7.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Stay safe now [geek]

I have indeed switched on to the "don't update until I've looked at what you're trying to do to my pc" option.  This was triggered by the IE9 thing but boosted by the fact that my (relatively new) pc has got very clunky very quickly and I'm convinced that much of this is due to what I think is called "bloatware" (?) forced upon me by the various automatic updates I'm given.  It's been quite an eye opener seeing the list of things which before would have downloaded regardless.  Yesterday there were add-ons in about 40 different languages (I run 7 Ultimate so I can get spell check etc in French and English) I'll never use in my lifetime.

Microsoft Security Essentials to that as it certainly let you down last time, Windows updates and all !

Not true, MSSE flagged the incursion and requested validation to clear.

I chose to ignore and continue exploring the UKash scam.

I do this fairly frequently, the serious lack of the Java update was an error and oversight on my part,

The netbook has nothing on it other than a few pertinent forum web pages.

I have only ONCE in the three years that I have had the netbook had to resort to a full system restore.

As to the netbook I am running a MSSE Beta, so there may be some rough edges still for MST to resolve.

Nevertheless I adopt the same policy with a definition update EACH time the unit is started, followed by a quickscan.

Over the years I have used all the free AVs with varying satisfaction.

But my principle quarrel with you is not my own particular computing eccentricities.

I can distinguish and evaluate your own particular eccentricities but " other mortals" may not be so fortunate.

It would appear that as a result of your misleading entreaties to not to bother to install the "optional updates" offered by Microsoft that easily influenced persons with no conception of the risks and dangers involved are in fact and practice interpreting the situation such that they believe that the microsoft security updates are almost certain to do serious damage to their PCs.

Apparently you eventually update with an SP, a mistaken foolish policy in my opinion, but as mentioned above your eccentricities are your own volition. However with little doubt the SP will be regarded equally by your faithful acolytes as just another MST optional update and not installed.

I in fact install the MST security update every month on "update tuesday" in the early evening by accessing directly the Microsoft France website.

Of course you dont do the monthly update so you will in all probability be unaware that on every Windows PC since the XP, there is an MRT.exe file which contains, unknown to most users, all the most important Antimalware definitions and code for their elimination. This MRT.exe file is updated each month, during the install the updated definitions are used to do a quick scan of the PC before the install continues to completion. The PC will send back to Microsoft notification of any Malware found.

Anybody who neglects to keep up to date with the SECURITY UPDATES provided monthly, sometimes more frequently, is placing their PC in danger and looking for Trouble with a capital T.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

It would appear that as a result of your misleading entreaties to not to bother to install the "optional updates" offered by Microsoft that easily influenced persons with no conception of the risks and dangers involved are in fact and practice interpreting the situation such that they believe that the microsoft security updates are almost certain to do serious damage to their PCs.

[/quote]How patronising it is possible for you to be?

Sorry, mods - feel free to delete this post if you wish.  I do my best, every day, to stick to the forum etiquette and avoid personal insult, but really!  Grrr.  Let us each, as individuals, weigh the various merits of your, AnO, and others' posts and make our own judgements.  For myself, I at least know what he means whereas I don't have a clue what you're talking about around 70% of the time[:-))].  If we are easily swayed ignorami, that is our tough luck.  No need to be so *ffing insulting, C3PO.  Sorry, I forgot, you just can't help it.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]How patronising it is possible for you to be?

Sorry, mods - feel free to delete this post if you wish.  I do my best, every day, to stick to the forum etiquette and avoid personal insult, but really!  Grrr.  Let us each, as individuals, weigh the various merits of your, AnO, and others' posts and make our own judgements.  For myself, I at least know what he means whereas I don't have a clue what you're talking about around 70% of the time[:-))].  If we are easily swayed ignorami, that is our tough luck.  No need to be so *ffing insulting, C3PO.  Sorry, I forgot, you just can't help it.

[/quote]

I am sorry that you find that patronising but the truth of the matter is that Microsoft expend time and resources on a continuous basis to make sure that their various Operating Systems are free from defects; on a monthly basis they provide FREE to all legitimate users of their systems the Crucial Security Updates to rectify any defects discovered. I am not insulting you or anybody else but simply "evangelising" the true Microsoft recommendations.

Cant be helped! A dogmatic belief!

[quote user="AnOther"]... I have long used a tiny little free programme I found which traps any executables which attempt to insinuate themselves into my startup. It's here if anybody wants it and I can confirm that it works both in Vista and Windows 7.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Stay safe now [geek][/quote]

I have been using WinPatrol for years now. It does the same and a few more things.

Whenever a program tries to modify the way the computer works, a pop-up screen appears to ask me to confirm or deny access.

It's free and it works.